Weatherbug\minibugtransporter.dll ?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 auntiem

auntiem

• Members
  • 158 posts

Posted 12 March 2005 - 06:52 PM

I upgraded my Norton antivirus to 2005 and ran a scan everything ok there No worms or virus.So I went to the activity log ,clicked on threat alert and this came up: :huh: Threat category: AdwareSource: C:\Program Files\AWS\WeatherBug\MiniBugTransporter.dll,Description: The file C:\Program Files\AWS\WeatherBug\MiniBugTransporter.dll is a Adware threat. Source: C:\Program Files\AWS\WeatherBug\MiniBugTransporter.dll Description: The file C:\Program Files\AWS\WeatherBug\MiniBugTransporter.dll is a Adware threat. Click for more information about this threat : Adware.Minibug I went to search and put the name in and sure enough....a WeatherBug folder came up....when clicking on it ....it showed a icon with MiniBugTransporter.dll next to it. I do have weather channel ......but not weather bug.....does weather bug come with aol instant messenger??? (heard somewhere I think it did) and if so can I delete this without it doing anything to aol instant messenger or my system? Confused!!!!! :blushing: Wanting for someones reply......Thanks

#2 pacman123

pacman123

Supervised HJT Helper

• Malware Classroom Trainee
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,522 posts

Posted 12 March 2005 - 07:00 PM

Hi Auntiem some info here hope this helps...............

http://www.pchell.co...eatherbug.shtml

#3 auntiem

auntiem

• Members
  • 158 posts

Posted 12 March 2005 - 07:40 PM

:cheers: Here's to you pacman for the fast reply ....Thanks for the link , it gave me some of the information :info: I wanted. Thanks again :beer:

#4 porksandwich9113

porksandwich9113

^Cheap Man's Labtop^

• Advanced Member
  • 3,513 posts

Posted 12 March 2005 - 08:39 PM

And for the AIM(AOL Instant Messanger)WeatherBug question..It was an option to install with it.. You could chose yes or no..i chose No, because i knew it was spyware.
i7 920 @ 4.25Ghz | Prolimatech Megahalem | EVGA E757 LE | 6 GB Tridents ATI 5850 @ 800/1100 | Asus Xonar DX | 2 X 60GB Agility 2 in Raid0 | 1000 Watt Enermax PSU | 2 22" Monitors | Razer Peripherals | Logitech X-540 | 4X2TB Raid5 TV Shows Archive

#5 auntiem

auntiem

• Members
  • 158 posts

Posted 12 March 2005 - 10:53 PM

porksandwich Yes I chose not to install weather bug too when downloading aol now that I remember.. :blushing: ...but still have the AWS folder when looking in windows explorer. :woot: (which is AWS\WeatherBug\MiniBugTransporter.dll ) Even though I unchecked weather Bug...when installing AOL :angry: NO where on my aol instant messenger is there anything about weather bug though.

#6 Jacee

Jacee

Madam Admin <aka> Maude

• Admins
  • 27,747 posts

Posted 12 March 2005 - 11:02 PM

Go to Add/Remove and uninstall WeatherBug. Reboot into safe mode:
Restart the computer
Immediately begin tapping the <F8> key.
Use the arrow keys to highlight Safe Mode and press the <Enter> key.

Search for:
C:\PROGRA~1\AWS <--delete the entire folder.

"WeatherPulse" by Tropic Designs does not install any spyware/malware; You can download it here (free).

http://www.tropicdesigns.net

MS - MVP Consumer Security 2006 thru 2014

#7 auntiem

auntiem

• Members
  • 158 posts

Posted 13 March 2005 - 09:55 AM

Jacee first thank you for your reply :)
I went to add/move and weather Bug was not there but I knowI have the floder with C:\Program Files\AWS\ Folder.
There is the weather channel in add/remove (which said when I downloaded had no spyware)
So I should just go and do as you said ....C:\PROGRA~1\AWS <--delete the entire folder. I think this folder came with aol even though I unchecked it. I Don't think it came with The weather Channel. But if it did would it be ok to delete this folder and if weather channel weather doesn't work right than... go to add/remove and remove it after? :rolleyes:

#8 auntiem

auntiem

• Members
  • 158 posts

Posted 15 March 2005 - 12:20 PM

:cheers: Thanks for the help everyone :grouphug:
Jacee done what you said.... and bye bye AWS folder !!
Thanks again everyone :cheers:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users