Photo

How Can I Tell If A Router Is Going Bad.

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Shoot Me Damit

Shoot Me Damit

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • 942 posts

Posted 07 March 2005 - 12:32 AM

I don't know what's going on was surfing fine for hours. went out to eat come back log on to aol.logs on fine. tryed clicking a link saved in favorites nothing happins try to type in address like pcpitstop.com nothing happins try help nothing happins. then about 5 min. goes buy I get a message your aol software is unable to retreive webpages though the aol services please sign off, back on if still exp. diff. please restart computer so I do it . same thing so I do the trick unplug your dsl power wait 10 min. and did it to router as well doesn't help still the same. call tec support he takes me through every thing I just said I did. still don't work. then he tells me to hook it up with just my computer straight to the dsl box everything works fine can surf now he tells me Its not aol that the routers doing this. so he hangs up. so I'm like great the routers messed up. well i'm not one to give up I unplug the lines go back to the way it was set up and now everthings working fine links and all. I don't get it why does it work now? if it was the router. do routers fail like this or is this a fire wall problem? or is this a server at aol? why I ask this is because when this was going on I tryed typing aol in msn IE and It came up with the page fault you get when it can't find the service thing ck your setting but if I typed in pcpitstop it went through. why didn't this tec ck to see if there was a problem in the area for aols server which clearly is what was going on I guess what I'am asking do routers fail with only one service but can go to web pages with IE. I don't think I'am this dum. how can this guy tell me its my router when I couldn't get to aol through IE as well for an hour and now I can.

#2 Shoot Me Damit

Shoot Me Damit

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • 942 posts

Posted 07 March 2005 - 12:27 PM

ok this happed again but this time they walked me like this. told me to go to keyword and type in :browser fix , then I get aol can't retrieve web pages message. they ask me if there is a 0 at the end of the message. there is. then they tell me to close aol. and restart now it resets norton so it would remake the rules for aol and now I can surf the web pages. only thing I changed on my computer was monitor settings to 85hz I can't get the ping test to work right when I changed from 60hz to 85hz. why?When I was set to 85hz on my monitor. I get -4 on all pings, and when I set monitor to 60hz it goes through normal ping times. why are my ping times getting like this for monitor settings? I'am useing your ping test the pit one. I don't understand whats going on. is my router the problem? anyone have problems like this? :pullhair:

#3 Shoot Me Damit

Shoot Me Damit

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • 942 posts

Posted 07 March 2005 - 12:40 PM

I could not post to the pit till I changed the setting on my monitor to 60hz man I don't get it whats going on with this crazy stuff. I'am going nuts. Anybody? I know sounds crazy but it is true. I don't understand any of what has happed in the last 24 hours if anyone has a clue to why I would love to hear it. I don't have much hair left at this point. please any info.

Edited by Shoot Me Damit, 07 March 2005 - 03:05 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users