Dsl Vs. Road Runner- Pros Cons?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 krisk71

krisk71

• Members
  • 84 posts

Posted 24 February 2005 - 01:40 PM

I am thinking of switching to DSL- as my RR is $15 more per month. Just wondering what the pros and cons are of DSL vs. Road Runner? Thanks Kristina

#2 Tim618

Tim618

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • 367 posts

Posted 24 February 2005 - 01:41 PM

where do you live? what package of road runner do you havE? what is your advertised speed? what DSL company would you be switching to? need more info...

#3 krisk71

krisk71

• Members
  • 84 posts

Posted 01 March 2005 - 04:06 PM

We live in the Albany, NY area. The Road Runner with Time Warner Cable is $44.95 per month. I would be considering Verizon DSL - However Time Warner just told me about Road Runner LITE for $29 a month. They said it is slightly slower- the only noticable difference would be in downloads. (which I do not do alot). Any ideas or suggestions? thanks Kristina

#4 Shadow4173

Shadow4173

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • 975 posts

Posted 01 March 2005 - 07:21 PM

Looks like Road Runner Lite and Verizon DSL are the same price (or within $1). There are pros and cons to both. The biggest con to DSL is the further away you are from your area's "central office" the lower the speed is. Verizon will say that it can be other things that slow down your speed, like internal wiring and computer configuration. Internal cable wiring can cause a problem too, but its easy to upgrade cable wiring. Unless you're using a "dinosaur" for a computer, computers are easily tweaked to handle hi-speed internet of any kind. With cable internet access, you don't need to install any phone filters, which can be a hastle if you have multiple phone jacks in your house. Worst thing you need to install with cable access is a cable splitter, which is usually under $7 at your local hardware store. Unless Verizon warantees the phone filters that come with the service, and one breaks on you, a 2 line DSL filter at Radio Shack is $17 (just checked the price) and a wall mount DSL filter is $14.50 IMO, DSL is fine for those who just surf the web and are really close to the DSL central office. Cable internet access is better overall, even if the price for some tiers are slightly higher.

#5 krisk71

krisk71

• Members
  • 84 posts

Posted 01 March 2005 - 09:57 PM

Do you think there is a difference or a huge one between Road Runner regular and Road Runner Lite???????? (both are cable I assume?) Thanks Kristina

#6 Null.Logon

Null.Logon

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • 808 posts

Posted 01 March 2005 - 10:08 PM

donot get verizon dsl under any circumstances, worst isp i ever had. i use comcast cable now 6mb down 768k up never discs always on great support i would never go back.

#7 gib4500

gib4500

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 01 March 2005 - 10:55 PM

i looked over on a site called broadbandreports.com. a guy said rr lite was only 384 down. 128 up. i think regular roadrunnder is like 5mb down 384 up correct me if i'm wrong. if i were you and was comparing rr lite to verizon and i was close enough to get it i think i would get verizon, if you can get the special deal for 30 bucks a month. i think verizon is 3mb down and like 745 up. so verizon is clearly way faster than rr lite for around the same price. if you can get the 29.99 deal for verizon i would go for it. As far as the difference between dsl and cable i don' t know. some people like dsl and some people like cable. they claim ping times are comparable. also i'v heard dsl is a dedicated connection to each person where as cable is shared between people. hope this helps.

#8 Null.Logon

Null.Logon

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • 808 posts

Posted 02 March 2005 - 07:11 PM

i repeat if you get verizon you will be disappointed

#9 Tim618

Tim618

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • 367 posts

Posted 02 March 2005 - 11:50 PM

i've heard great things about verizon...

#10 Shadow4173

Shadow4173

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • 975 posts

Posted 03 March 2005 - 02:28 AM

There's good and bad about Verizon. The equipment they give you for their DSL is fairly easy to set up. (It's the plug this thing there, then plug that into this, etc). My g/f's mother has the Verizon DSL. The biggest thing I noticed is that, even with a new computer, the connection speed is still about half of what Verizon says it should be for where the house is compared to Verizon's central DSL hub for that area.

#11 badbob

badbob

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • 932 posts

Posted 03 March 2005 - 06:06 AM

verizon gives you 30 day to back out. so give them a try and if you dont get full speed dump them and send the modem back and get cable. i have had verizon dsl for many years and allways got full speed but im not far from them. the modem they give you is a very nice all in one modem 4 port switch and wireless g ap .there usenet servers are as good as pay ones.the only bad thing is email spam filters have blocked mail and you cant opt out of them

#12 kicko69

kicko69

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 04 March 2005 - 08:25 AM

if the point is to save money then DSl is a choice, it seems the verizon keeps making a better price and comcast keeps upping the speed. thats been the major difference for me. i with cable.

#13 Bama

Bama

• Members
  • 162 posts

Posted 05 March 2005 - 04:27 PM

Our first broadband here at my house was DSL and it wasn't working very well. The download speed was only about 500 Kbs and it was prone to disconnecting. To fix the problem I had to change some phone wiring in the attic to bypass the Alarm system box, our download speed went to about 2Mbs. We switched to RR a few years ago though and are happy with it. So, do you have an alarm system? If so keep in mind that if it was installed correctly then probably the phone lines go from the side of your house into the alarm system, then from there to all of your phone jacks. This is done so that the alarm system can interrupt any phone calls if there is an emergency. Anyway, the alarm system may interfere with your DSL. In which case you would need to wire your computer jack so that it is not going through the alarm system. If you do not feel up to this then I'd stick with RR.

Edited by Bama, 05 March 2005 - 05:00 PM.

#14 Guest_deejal_*

Guest_deejal_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 March 2005 - 07:29 PM

Do not get verizon DSL. ALthough many of my friends have had Verizon DSL without ANY problems, some of them, mostly Florida, have had horrendous problems. DO NOT SIGN any contract. I have never ever had a contract for DSL nor RR. I have used RR and DSL and I MUCH MUCH MUCH prefer DSL over RR ANY DAY!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users