Photo

Neptune Plugin

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Doug

Doug

Attitudes are contagious....... Is yours worth catching?

• Anti-Spyware Brigade
  • 5,918 posts

Posted 10 February 2005 - 04:21 PM

After reading the PCPitstop comments on using Neptune's plugin with my Mozilla to perform Full Test, I decided to give it a Test Drive.

It was easy to download and install, except that Mozilla users are required to search in the download (which automatically inserted itself into IE), copy the npmeadax.dll file and paste it into Mozilla plugins.

I was only able to enter Full Test (using Mozilla plus the Neptune .dll) by manually typing the full address << http://www.pcpitstop.com/neptune.asp >> into the address bar.

From there, the test went just fine, and test results displayed just like you'd expect when using IE.

But then problems started when viewing individual test results and attempting to navigate to the next individual test result. My browser was jumping all over the place, and quickly I couldn't keep track of where I was or how I could get to where I wanted to be.

Perhaps a more experienced user could use this Neptune plugin to enable their Mozilla browser to access Full Test and results, without the kind of troubles that I had, but for a Newbie like myself, it was a little squirrelly.

I removed the Neptune plugin (npmeadax.dll) from my Mozilla browser plugins, deleated the download Neptune .exe file, then remembered to go to IE and delete (npmeadax.dll) from that plugin folder also.

Now I'm back to browsing my test results via IE.

Recommendations from more experienced Mozilla/Neptune users would be welcome, but for now I'll use IE for Full Test.

Though we cannot change the direction of the wind,
We may adjust our sails.

#2 Hawk

Hawk

Advanced Member

• Anti-Spyware Brigade
  • 10,619 posts

Posted 11 February 2005 - 03:36 AM

Hi DougH,

As you may be aware, the tests are actually set up for IE. I never tested using Moxilla+Neptune so can't really give you first hand knowledge.

I do know however, that quite a few members using Firefox, do have a problem with Neptune.

Now I'm back to browsing my test results via IE.

I think it saves a lot of hassle. :P

Regards,

Hawk :beer:

Vista will never be gone as long as Windows 7 is here!

#3 dave

dave

PC Pitstop Admin

• Members
  • 8,138 posts

Posted 11 February 2005 - 01:00 PM

I really wish MeadCo supported Neptune better, but I kind of understand why it's an orphan. If your favorite browser is something other than IE, I suggest that you use IE just for testing. Once you have finished testing, close IE and open FireFox or whatever. Then go to View Previous Test Results and click on the test you just did.

#4 Doug

Doug

Attitudes are contagious....... Is yours worth catching?

• Anti-Spyware Brigade
  • 5,918 posts

Posted 11 February 2005 - 01:48 PM

Thanks Dave and Hawk! I pretty much already operate the way you two have suggested, but wanted to post my observation and see if I was overlooking something. It's great to be a member here! Thanks Again.

Though we cannot change the direction of the wind,
We may adjust our sails.

#5 Guest_atater_*

Guest_atater_*
  • Guests

Posted 17 February 2005 - 05:56 PM

This is my first post (and I apologize in advance if I didn't understand the use of the COde Buttons, or other inputs).
I have used PCPitstop for several years to check my desktop computer, and have had no problems with the tests. I preferred Netscape to Microsoft for both the browser and email for a number of years, but was forced to go to Msoft when some of the sites wouldn't open in netscape.

I recently got a laptop, running on WIN XP, and found Firefox!!! I am thrilled with the results. I also switched to it on the desktop (runing ME).

HOWEVER, somewhat like DougH, I had problems with the Neptune Plugin.
In my case I inserted the .dll into the Foxfire Plugins directory, and ran Pitstop. At every page change, I got a popup box indicating an IE Script error (Line 1, Char 17 (or 1) Error loading D11, Code 0, URL www.pcpitstop.com/????) and it didn't seem to matter whether I closed the popup box, or clicked either of the buttons YES or NO to the question "do you want to continue running scripts on this page". PCPitstop continued until I reached the Browser speed page, with the box at the bottom which requires a yesor no button before it will proceed. At that point the screen went blank, and I could not recover the page with a 'right click and hitting "back"'..........
Eventually I gave up, and tested my system through IE----it worked.
I followed the troubleshooting instructions and sent my results through.

I have Win XP, Firefox, ZaPro, and Norton Systemworks.
Iwould appreciate any thoughts or comments specifically about the use of FoxfIRE.

#6 Hawk

Hawk

Advanced Member

• Anti-Spyware Brigade
  • 10,619 posts

Posted 17 February 2005 - 06:17 PM

Hi atater,

Welcome to the Pit. :)

You are presently buried in DougHs' thread. I would suggest you open a New Topic IN THIS FORUM.

In the meantime, could you recheck THE NEPTUNE PLUG-IN?

Then try THE ACTIVE X TEST.

If you have IE, I would suggest you run the test with it as the tests are primarily set up to run with IE.

Regards,

Hawk :beer:

Vista will never be gone as long as Windows 7 is here!

#7 dave

dave

PC Pitstop Admin

• Members
  • 8,138 posts

Posted 17 February 2005 - 09:22 PM

See my post in the other Neptune thread.

#8 Southern Belle

Southern Belle

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 06 July 2006 - 02:44 AM

See my post in the other Neptune thread.

heyal,

all i get is blank page.

also where do u uninstall the neptune?

thanks,
sb

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users