Lost Help And Support Service

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 seanyg

seanyg

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 30 December 2004 - 05:26 PM

:blink: could anyone tell me how to find the help and support service so i can start it (its not listed under services for some reason) many thanks sean

#2 Scorpion

Scorpion

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • 821 posts

Posted 30 December 2004 - 05:29 PM

If you click Start>Help and support, what happens?

#3 seanyg

seanyg

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 30 December 2004 - 05:31 PM

windows cannot start help and support a service is not started

#4 Scorpion

Scorpion

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • 821 posts

Posted 30 December 2004 - 06:12 PM

I assume you are running XP, so....(I think it,s the same for Win2K and ME as well...) Start>Run, type services.msc, hit enter. In the window that comes up, scroll down to Help and support, and make sure it is either set to Manual or Automatic. If not, right click the line, select properties, and set it in the drop down thingy. Come back if this doesn't work. Scorp.

#5 seanyg

seanyg

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 31 December 2004 - 05:06 AM

thats the problem it's not listed in the services list so i cant restart or stop it ......very weird

#6 JackeL

JackeL

Insane Membrane

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,880 posts

Posted 31 December 2004 - 08:58 AM

try merging the following ".reg" file into your registry...heres how:

with your mouse, press and hold the right mouse button and drag it over everything between the dotted lines below (do not include the dotted lines and be sure that everything between the dotted is highlighted). then release the right mouse button. when you release it a menu will appear, choose "copy" from that menu.

next open notepad and right click inside the blank notepad page. another menu will appear when you right click....choose "paste" from the menu.

now in notepads toolbar click file > save as. name the file: "fixhelpandsupport.reg" (no quotation marks) and remember where it gets saved to.

next find where you saved that file and double click on it to "merge" it into the registry. when you double click a reg file, a box will pop up asking if you want to add the file to your registry....answer "yes" or "o.k." and reboot.

hope it works for 'ya.

...............................................................................................................................................................................

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

; Restore Help Center & Help and Support APP use in Windows 2k/XP

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\CLASSES\TypeLib\{FC7D9E00-3F9E-11D3-93C0-00C04F72DAF7}\1.0\0\win32]
@="C:\WINDOWS\PCHealth\HelpCtr\Binaries\HelpCtr.exe\1"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\CLASSES\TypeLib\{FC7D9E00-3F9E-11D3-93C0-00C04F72DAF7}\1.0\HELPDIR]
@="C:\WINDOWS\PCHealth\HelpCtr\Binaries\HelpCtr.exe\"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\CLASSES\TypeLib\{FC7D9000-3F9E-11D3-93C0-00C04F72DAF7}\1.0\0\win32]
@="C:\WINDOWS\PCHealth\HelpCtr\Binaries\HelpCtr.exe\2"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\CLASSES\TypeLib\{FC7D9000-3F9E-11D3-93C0-00C04F72DAF7}\1.0\HELPDIR]
@="C:\WINDOWS\PCHealth\HelpCtr\Binaries\HelpCtr.exe\"

..................................................................................................................

Edited by JackeL, 31 December 2004 - 10:00 AM.

"Thereís a darkness upon me thatís flooded in light.....And Iím frightened by those that donít see it."

#7 seanyg

seanyg

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 01 January 2005 - 11:21 AM

thanks but it didnt work still the same error message i need to get help and support service running again somehow p.s also tried sfc thanks for helping anyhow

#8 seanyg

seanyg

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 04 January 2005 - 01:56 PM

bump

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users