Been Asked To Download This Update..but

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Rog

Rog

• Members
  • 71 posts

Posted 24 October 2004 - 02:21 PM

://v5.windows update.microsoft.com/v5consumer/default.aspx?ln=en-us]http://v5.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/v5co...t.aspx?ln=en-us This is the wording of the suggested update '''''Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 Service Pack 1 Download size: 10.2 MB, 4 minutes Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 Service Pack 1 resolves various issues found after the initial release of .NET Framework 1.1. These include both security- and non-security-related issues. After you install this item, you may have to restart your computer. Once you have installed this item, it cannot be removed. Details...''''''''' It mentions service pack1, I already have SP2 installed, so why is microsoft suggesting this download?? Please, can someone tell me if I should or should not download?

Edited by Rog, 24 October 2004 - 02:23 PM.

#2 kd5

kd5

Format Junky and

• Anti-Spyware Brigade
  • 15,014 posts

Posted 24 October 2004 - 02:39 PM

It's a .Net Framework Service Pack, kind of like Internet Explorer Service Packs, and has nothing to do with Windows XP Service Packs other than being a supplemental component of Windows XP. -kd5-
Time is the fire in which we burn. (Soran)

#3 stormy13

stormy13

Woof!

• Anti-Spyware Brigade
  • 10,327 posts

Posted 24 October 2004 - 02:52 PM

If you don't have any programs that require the .net Framework (off the top of my head the opnly thing I can think of that requires right now, is ATI's new Control Panel), then you can safely ignore installing it for now.

MS - MVP Windows Expert-Consumer 2010 - 2012

#4 Rog

Rog

• Members
  • 71 posts

Posted 24 October 2004 - 03:04 PM

Thanks, I do have a ATI video card, so would it be better to download it?

#5 stormy13

stormy13

Woof!

• Anti-Spyware Brigade
  • 10,327 posts

Posted 24 October 2004 - 03:22 PM

Only if you want to use the new Catalyst Control Center instead of the old style Control Panel. Personally, I'm not too crazy about the new CCC, so am still using the old CP until ATI stops putting it out. As a result, I haven't installed the .net framework yet, and won't be until I have to (just look for the option to hide it on Windows Update, and then you don't see it every time you go there).

MS - MVP Windows Expert-Consumer 2010 - 2012

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users