Photo

Do I Need All Of These Services Running?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 intoxikated

intoxikated

• Members
  • 270 posts

Posted 01 August 2004 - 10:02 PM

This is a list of all of the services listed as running right now on my Windows XP pro system: Automatic Updates Background Intelligent Transfer Service COM+ Event System Computer Browser Cryptographic Services DHCP Client DNS Client Distributed Link Tracking Client Error Reporting Service Event Log Help and Support IPSEC Services IPV6 Helper Service IPV6 Internet Connection Firewall Kodak Camera Connection Software Logical Disk Manager Network Connections Network Location Awareness (NLA) Plug and Play Print Spooler Protected Storage RIP Listener Remote Access Connection Manager Remote Procedure Call (RPC) Remote Registry Removable Storage SSDP Discovery Service Secondary Logon Security Accounts Manager Server Shell Hardware Detection System Event Notification TCP/IP NETBIOS Helper Task Scheduler Telephony Terminal Services Themes Upload Manager Webclient Windows Audio Windows Image Acquisition (WIA) Windows Management Instrumentation Windows Time Wireless Zero Configuration Workstation My taskbar volume icon does not load at desk top loadup and my start bar freezes for about 30 seconds each time I restart and the desk top is loading.

#2 kd5

kd5

Format Junky and

• Anti-Spyware Brigade
  • 15,016 posts

Posted 01 August 2004 - 10:06 PM

Here's a guide for the Services however I don't think it'll cure your problem with freezing:

http://www.blackvipe.../servicecfg.htm (Safe list)

Post a test, let us see what's going on there ;)

http://pcpitstop.ibf...techexphelp.htm -kd5-

Edited by kd5, 01 August 2004 - 10:07 PM.

Time is the fire in which we burn. (Soran)

#3 jimstone

jimstone

• Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 01 August 2004 - 10:44 PM

This program will help you shut down unnecessary windows components in an easy to use interface its called XP Antispy and its free and works great alot of those are unnessacary windows components!

#4 Newdles

Newdles

Gateway Hater

• Advanced Member
  • 6,643 posts

Posted 01 August 2004 - 11:35 PM

Just out of curiousity, why would anyone need a program to stop system services? That "program" is already built into Windows and is often called Microsoft Windows :P I mean... that antispy software may have other uses as well but if not then it's virtually useless for disabling system services.

Anyway... click start > run and type services.msc and that will open up your system services. Then just read the services and set them to your needs as everyone is different on what services they do need and don't need. And not to rample on kd5's toes... but read this page instead - http://www.blackvipe.../service411.htm It actually explains the services instead of just telling you which to disable and such so that you can decide waht services YOU need for your pc.

#5 intoxikated

intoxikated

• Members
  • 270 posts

Posted 02 August 2004 - 12:36 PM

I've been to that blackviper page before, very useful! I took the dudes advice and disabled all that needed disabling. I just have a tiny feeling this might help my computer out a bit. I had a bunch of extra stuff since I got a router and had another person networked to me so we could share files from our computers but I dont do it anymore so that should help too! Thanks!

#6 intoxikated

intoxikated

• Members
  • 270 posts

Posted 02 August 2004 - 12:48 PM

lol The funny thing is, I've been posting about my frozen start bar and dissapearing volume icon for quite a few months. And now that I disabled all of the services I didnt need everything is peachy! This is hilarious. Well, except for my AIM problem..I think that's still a problem. It logs in and out all the time for no reason. Kicks me off every few minutes saying i lost my internet connection. But MSN and Yahoo are fine. I thought I had figured it out at one point because MSN has this connection area that says what you're connected with. It said I had a firewall so I disabled that but it didnt help AIM. It now says "You are connected to the internet through a non-UPnP IP restricted NAT. (Administrator) Yep thats my last problem!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users