A Way To Terminate The System Idle Process

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 penguinman

penguinman

• Members
  • 131 posts

Posted 14 July 2004 - 04:17 PM

Is there a way to terminate it, cuz it lags my pc a lot, it takes up over like 70% of my cpu, and it's a hassle.

#2 stormy13

stormy13

Woof!

• Anti-Spyware Brigade
  • 10,327 posts

Posted 14 July 2004 - 04:22 PM

The "System Idle process " means "I am not doing anything" !
That is not a process, so it certainly will not stop you from burning, so you problem lies elsewhere.

And a bit more of an explanation here,

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/7481

MS - MVP Windows Expert-Consumer 2010 - 2012

#3 penguinman

penguinman

• Members
  • 131 posts

Posted 14 July 2004 - 04:28 PM

Well then why when I turn on internet explorer, and it uses 0 cpu, it lags a lot, and shoots my system idle process up 20-30. And when I play D2, or wc3, it shoots it up to 50-60, and my system is okay, as for everything else.

#4 stormy13

stormy13

Woof!

• Anti-Spyware Brigade
  • 10,327 posts

Posted 14 July 2004 - 04:52 PM

System Idle Process doesn't use anything, all it does is give the processor something to do when it isn't doing anything.

SYSTEM IDLE PROCESS: One instance of this process operates per CPU, and runs to occupy the processor when other threads are not running. Normally this process should take up at least 80% of processor time on average (this is the value in the CPU column): if this is not the case look to see which process is taking up the time, and terminate it using the End Process button. This process also issues HLT commands which put unused parts of the CPU into a suspend mode, thereby cooling the processor. These commands are the same as those used by CPU cooling software such as CPUIdle, Rain and Waterfall.

From here, http://web.ukonline....ook/taskmgr.htm (says Win2k, but the same applies to XP).

The only time that SIP is at zero is when some application (SETI@Home or a game, for example) is using 100% of the cpu. Any other number between 1 and 99 is the free amount of cpu processing available.

#5 dmac2003

dmac2003

This is me, as a squirrel.

• Anti-Spyware Brigade
  • 1,553 posts

Posted 14 July 2004 - 04:57 PM

Even if you are running absoulutely no programs at all, the CPU is still being used. For Example: The Windows clock at the lower right hand of the screen ;)

#6 penguinman

penguinman

• Members
  • 131 posts

Posted 14 July 2004 - 09:04 PM

well then computers are stupid, why does it say that only IT TAKES my cpu. I know what your saying, but what im saying is this, List of system apps, All at 0, before D2 is opened System idle is at 90-100 Diablo 2 - when opened d2 uses 0 cpu, but the system idle process goes to 130-140, shouldn't it go down, and d2 go up?

#7 Web Police

Web Police

Wooby dooby doooo!!!

• Advanced Member
  • 3,764 posts

Posted 14 July 2004 - 09:10 PM

You must be missing a column in your task manager for %. The system idle process will hover at 99% and then drop down as you start other applications. If you click view at the top while viewing processes ity will let you pick the columns to be displayed If you have cpu usage selected it can't add up to more than 100% :blink:

#8 penguinman

penguinman

• Members
  • 131 posts

Posted 14 July 2004 - 09:15 PM

okay then, why does my computer lag like it's a freaking slug lol. I hate it, I can't do anything, when i restart my pc, even though I have no FILES ON STARTUP LISTED, the programs not needed pop-up, I have no spyware, no adware, no fragments, no temp, there shouldn't be anything wrong. Could a virus cause this? And if so, I need an Anti-virus program, someone please give me a link!!

#9 penguinman

penguinman

• Members
  • 131 posts

Posted 14 July 2004 - 09:17 PM

sorry for the double post, but I don't have anytime, i have to babysit my niece and nephew tommorow, so I need to sleep soon. Anyways I paused the CPU Reading, and my computer lags less, why is this?

#10 BBYTech587

BBYTech587

Advanced Gamer

• Anti-Spyware Brigade
  • 2,037 posts

Posted 14 July 2004 - 09:24 PM

Are you sure there is nothing else starting up with your computer?? just becouse its not in the startup menu doesnt mean it cant start when the comptuer does... Can you post a test to your pit test?

#11 penguinman

penguinman

• Members
  • 131 posts

Posted 14 July 2004 - 09:30 PM

http://www.pcpitstop...A7ULWH4GQUS6NBE

And can anyone tell me how to put pictures in my signature?

#12 stormy13

stormy13

Woof!

• Anti-Spyware Brigade
  • 10,327 posts

Posted 14 July 2004 - 09:58 PM

Let's see,

1. 87% cpu usage (not caused by SIP), and this is the cause of you comp feeling sluggish, probably a virus/trojan or possibly spyware/adware. See here,

http://pcpitstop.ibf...?showtopic=1163

for links to online scans and a few free A/V programs, as well as Adaware and Spybot.

2. Service Pack 1 and any and all critical updates you may be missing,

http://v4.windowsupd.../en/default.asp

3. No firewall. See the link in #1 for links for either Sygate or ZoneAlarm.

Edit: Pics aren't allowed in sigs.

Edited by stormy13, 14 July 2004 - 09:58 PM.

#13 penguinman

penguinman

• Members
  • 131 posts

Posted 14 July 2004 - 10:02 PM

as I said in another post, it says my cdkey is invalid, yet I bought it, the only bad thing is, I have it in a case I bought, because I lost the Original Case/Box, so I do not know what to tell microsoft, since I can't really tell them anything about it.

#14 stormy13

stormy13

Woof!

• Anti-Spyware Brigade
  • 10,327 posts

Posted 14 July 2004 - 10:14 PM

Have you tried contacting MS yet to see what, if anything they can do for you?

#15 ManiaK

ManiaK

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • 1,318 posts

Posted 14 July 2004 - 10:30 PM

as I said in another post, it says my cdkey is invalid, yet I bought it, the only bad thing is, I have it in a case I bought, because I lost the Original Case/Box, so I do not know what to tell microsoft, since I can't really tell them anything about it.

Provided you do have an ORIGINAL Win XP disc, call MS and tell them you lost the case. They'll ask you a few questions pertaining to the original disc and then you must provide a credit card number as they'll charge you a $10.00 fee for giving you a new CD key.

And as was said earlier - easiest way to put a pic in your sig is to be on a forum that allows it. :P

#16 penguinman

penguinman

• Members
  • 131 posts

Posted 15 July 2004 - 12:34 AM

as for that I found a new love virus, how bad is that virus? Somewhere it said it was a WORM.

#17 penguinman

penguinman

• Members
  • 131 posts

Posted 15 July 2004 - 12:57 AM

im still not asleep, which doesn't help, but I have found 2 viruses that can't be removed, or repaired, one of them is alchemy.cab, what do I do about it?

#18 John 44

John 44

Linux sampler

• Anti-Spyware Brigade
  • 6,364 posts

Posted 15 July 2004 - 01:20 AM

You might do better in the Viruses, Spyware, Adware Forum.

#19 rja

rja

old fart of a laptoper

• Advanced Member
  • 2,851 posts

Posted 15 July 2004 - 04:17 AM

as for the "pic" if you mean the one on the left of the screen aboue the other member info its located under avaters.

Edited by rja, 15 July 2004 - 04:40 AM.

#20 penguinman

penguinman

• Members
  • 131 posts

Posted 15 July 2004 - 09:52 AM

anyways I removed the viruses and I havn't checked for lag or anything yert, but ill get back to you on that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users