• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 TracyLynn

TracyLynn

Purplicious

• Advanced Member
  • 7,054 posts

Posted 25 May 2004 - 06:05 PM

Burned a cd a few days ago.. had no sound since. I know its not muted, I know its not my speakers I tried using another pair, plus some head phones and still no sound. Tried reinstalling the audio sound drivers that came with the motherboard package. Still nothing :( My brother lives an hour away now and he is my computer guru.. he will order me a new card from New Egg...I am not afraid to install it altho I have no idea about it.. but since learning how to put in a heatsink and fan (which you wonderful people here walked me through it) I think I can handle it. I am just wondering is there anyway to test to figure out if the soundcard is bad? Or do I just have to get a new card and hope thats the problem? :erm:

#2 PowerChucker

PowerChucker

Looking for Free PC Parts

• Anti-Spyware Brigade
  • 2,312 posts

Posted 25 May 2004 - 06:18 PM

Hmmm, Not sure if burning a cd has anything to do with the sound card dying, but ?????? what kind of card is it? what O.S., can you access the sound properties in the control pan. is the volume greyed out? check Device manager to see what it says about the sound card... let me know, we'll go from there. i'll look for sound card diag tools.

#3 TracyLynn

TracyLynn

Purplicious

• Advanced Member
  • 7,054 posts

Posted 25 May 2004 - 06:43 PM

well I just meant my sound was working and I was burning a cd and attempted to listen to a song before I added it to the list and I no longer had any sound when I tried to hear it.. I apologize for not posting my stats.. here is my last test I ran on here so you know whats in my puter
http://www.pcpitstop...U8ZAWVZBEMSKYPX

I will go look at the stuff you told me to and be back in a few

#4 TracyLynn

TracyLynn

Purplicious

• Advanced Member
  • 7,054 posts

Posted 25 May 2004 - 07:17 PM

xp says all the devices are working properly ... I ran troubleshooter and it said it couldnt solve my problem :erm: The only thing I see that might possibly be is that the driver isn't digitally signed ... whatever that means? But the audio drivers are from the cd that came with the mother board and they are for XP. Its wierd the sound just stopped working after burning that cd with nero and I have burned lots of cds and didnt do anything any different than usual :huh:

#5 mouse

mouse

Advanced Member

• The SWAT Team
  • 9,331 posts

Posted 25 May 2004 - 08:09 PM

TracyLynn you keep talking about installing the sound card drivers from the motherboard disk, that would mean you don't have a sound card but on board sound :( Is that the case? A couple of questions what software did you use to try and listen to the song, possibly that just needs to be reinstalled, when you reboot do you get the windows start up sound? Did you uninstall the sound card drivers before reinstalling them? Sorry for all the questions but the information will help track this down :P

#6 only_modz1

only_modz1

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 25 May 2004 - 08:14 PM

TracyLynn it does look like you have onboard sound. Maybe somehow got disabled?
Here is a good program to make sure your driver is cleaned out before reinstalling.

http://www.driverheaven.net/cleaner/

In the drop box make sure you only choose ac97 audio and press clean

Edited by only_modz1, 25 May 2004 - 08:16 PM.

#7 TracyLynn

TracyLynn

Purplicious

• Advanced Member
  • 7,054 posts

Posted 25 May 2004 - 08:30 PM

Mouse I have no sounds at all nada zip none :( well looks like the sound card is shot. I am getting my brother to shop around for me some new speakers that may come with a card. He knows what to look for. Thanks for trying to help me Mouse, Modz and power chuck! I will just have to go without tunes for a bit longer :(

Edited by TracyLynn, 25 May 2004 - 08:31 PM.

#8 PowerChucker

PowerChucker

Looking for Free PC Parts

• Anti-Spyware Brigade
  • 2,312 posts

Posted 25 May 2004 - 08:30 PM

on a side note, your CPU is at 23%........ that's wayyyyyy too high! run windows update, run a virus scan, and run a spyware/adaware scan

#9 TracyLynn

TracyLynn

Purplicious

• Advanced Member
  • 7,054 posts

Posted 25 May 2004 - 08:31 PM

Powerchuck I was folding back then... its why I stopped doing it ... it was making it run too warm

#10 reedcusa

reedcusa

• Members
  • 283 posts

Posted 25 May 2004 - 08:42 PM

Tracy, I noticed your overclocked to 2800 Mhz! Damn, how hot are you running?

#11 x5dr

x5dr

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • 8,380 posts

Posted 25 May 2004 - 08:52 PM

try plugging a headphone in the soundcard...might not be loud but you should hear some kind of noise. Do you have digital speakers?

#12 TracyLynn

TracyLynn

Purplicious

• Advanced Member
  • 7,054 posts

Posted 25 May 2004 - 09:03 PM

well yall got me paranoid about my machine but a friend just showed up to take me on a spontaneous harley ride... I will come back and check out all this stuff you are asking me when I get back in sorry LOL Its a beautiful night and I must RIDE :P and huggles to all of you for being such great people trying to help over here.. you are all truly incredible folks... back in a bit :mrgreen:

#13 TracyLynn

TracyLynn

Purplicious

• Advanced Member
  • 7,054 posts

Posted 25 May 2004 - 10:51 PM

ok... I don't know what overclocked means but I guess thats bad? lol.. I have boston accoustic speakers with a subwoofer that came with my old gateway.. I tried listening with the headphones and got the same results no sound. I'm gonna run a new pit test now on my puter and see how much its changed for better or worse since I took that last pit test in February... feel free to critique and tell me whats wrong or what I can do to make it better. :) I don't know if the site is busy or what.. I tried four times to do a new test and it kept getting stuck on checking upload speed and wouldn't go any further.. I will try again tomorrow :blank:

Edited by TracyLynn, 25 May 2004 - 11:02 PM.

#14 ChrisR

ChrisR

Sleazy Lawyer

• Anti-Spyware Brigade
  • 6,462 posts

Posted 25 May 2004 - 11:30 PM

Tracy, I see you have a custom built system. Check your motherboard manual for info on how to find PCI/AGP ratio in the BIOS. Make sure that is set to 66/33 or similar. Also, can you access the volume icon in your taskbar?

#15 x5dr

x5dr

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • 8,380 posts

Posted 26 May 2004 - 12:14 AM

The speakers could be dgital...what model #?

I think you can get the digital drivers from Gateway. I believe you need to delete the old ones in Device Manager and then reinstall. Seems like there might be special driver for the sound card and digital speakers too but it has been awhile since I had to deal with that Gateway setup.

Google the speaker model and SB Live and you will find reference to the conflicts.

http://support.micro...om/?kbid=313022

Edited by x5dr, 26 May 2004 - 12:23 AM.

#16 mohawkwarrior

mohawkwarrior

Advanced Member

• Anti-Spyware Brigade
  • 3,122 posts

Posted 26 May 2004 - 12:46 AM

there are no errors in your hardware list from your test, since it's an onboard sound chip. the drivers sometimes will go corrupt, which you need to uninstall them and reinstall the onboard sound drivers again, then you should have sound once again.

#17 x5dr

x5dr

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • 8,380 posts

Posted 26 May 2004 - 08:16 AM

If they are the Boston Digital speakers that come with Gateway it may not be the soundcard driver...

Edited by x5dr, 26 May 2004 - 08:17 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users