Do I Need A Zone Alarm With Router?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_MastaJae_*

Guest_MastaJae_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 April 2004 - 02:25 PM

I just picked up a router the other day, it is made by "Network Everywhere" (walmart brand) and the model number is NR041-WM. I have zonealarm running right now but is this really necessary if the router already has a firewall? Thanks! Jae

#2 Chump

Chump

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • 725 posts

Posted 22 April 2004 - 12:37 AM

ZA is software firewall, provides inbound and outbound protection. A Router is only going to provide inbound protection. PLus it doesnt hurt to provide an extra layer of security.

#3 BBYTech587

BBYTech587

Advanced Gamer

• Anti-Spyware Brigade
  • 2,037 posts

Posted 22 April 2004 - 01:07 AM

Id still use ZA. That way you know what programs are trying to get on the net and you can block or allow them as you see fit.

#4 aeroman10

aeroman10

^Rocket the Dog

• Anti-Spyware Brigade
  • 9,297 posts

Posted 22 April 2004 - 01:16 AM

ZA is software firewall, provides inbound and outbound protection. A Router is only going to provide inbound protection. PLus it doesnt hurt to provide an extra layer of security.

Thats not completely accurate to say that a router only provides inbound protection. That would probably depend on the type of firware/software that is used to run the router..

My D-Link router has a firewall that can be set for both incoming/outgoing protection. You can restrict certain users/programs from accessing the internet. You can also restrict users from going to certain sites, domains, etc...

As for the original question...I would still leave ZA running.

You cannot sedate all the things you hate

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users