Do I Need A Zone Alarm With Router?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_MastaJae_*

Guest_MastaJae_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 April 2004 - 02:25 PM

I just picked up a router the other day, it is made by "Network Everywhere" (walmart brand) and the model number is NR041-WM. I have zonealarm running right now but is this really necessary if the router already has a firewall? Thanks! Jae

#2 Chump

Chump

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • 725 posts

Posted 22 April 2004 - 12:37 AM

ZA is software firewall, provides inbound and outbound protection. A Router is only going to provide inbound protection. PLus it doesnt hurt to provide an extra layer of security.

#3 BBYTech587

BBYTech587

Advanced Gamer

• Anti-Spyware Brigade
  • 2,037 posts

Posted 22 April 2004 - 01:07 AM

Id still use ZA. That way you know what programs are trying to get on the net and you can block or allow them as you see fit.

#4 aeroman10

aeroman10

^Rocket the Dog

• Anti-Spyware Brigade
  • 9,288 posts

Posted 22 April 2004 - 01:16 AM

ZA is software firewall, provides inbound and outbound protection. A Router is only going to provide inbound protection. PLus it doesnt hurt to provide an extra layer of security.

Thats not completely accurate to say that a router only provides inbound protection. That would probably depend on the type of firware/software that is used to run the router..

My D-Link router has a firewall that can be set for both incoming/outgoing protection. You can restrict certain users/programs from accessing the internet. You can also restrict users from going to certain sites, domains, etc...

As for the original question...I would still leave ZA running.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users