19 replies to this topic

#1 merlin_

merlin_

Relax

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,819 posts

Posted 15 February 2004 - 02:30 PM

I built my pc and installed avg pro on it! It slowed it down to a crawl!! I uninstalled it..everything was fine! I put the free version of it on and it ran fine. Yet I paid for pro and it will run but it slows the computer down? I just tried installing it again a couple minutes ago and again it slowed it to a crawl! My specs are 3.0 cpu 512 ddr 3200@dual channel and 280 gb hd space! Has anyone else encounterd this? I would use the free but paid for pro! It takes about 9 seconds for me to get to my control panel when it is installed! But tests come back fine!!!???

#2 rja

rja

old fart of a laptoper

• Advanced Member
  • 2,851 posts

Posted 15 February 2004 - 03:48 PM

the slower boot is to be expected. b ut if running that much slower... someone who uses the current versions should be able to tell you more.

#3 merlin_

merlin_

Relax

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,819 posts

Posted 15 February 2004 - 04:01 PM

it's not just the slower boot! That I would be able to deal with!! It's the slow everything taking 20 minutes to finish test yet scoring 1809. It shows nothing anywhere why it would be slowing down! Here is my test just incase!

http://www.pcpitstop...A6DAW4E8RMSL8W3

Edited by merlin_, 15 February 2004 - 04:02 PM.

#4 Crusader

Crusader

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • 1,676 posts

Posted 15 February 2004 - 04:18 PM

Just what I thought. You will find AVG will work much better if you decide between the Norton and AVG. Norton also has the same issue with Mcafee. Try it and see... Hope this helps.

#5 merlin_

merlin_

Relax

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,819 posts

Posted 15 February 2004 - 04:43 PM

thanks but tried it b4 i installed norton..well really didnt install norton even though it says its there! Trying to uninstall as we speak, install system works puter shut down half way through and norton was left in the computer limbo! But avg did this b4 I installed norton!!!

#6 WK

WK

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • 2,210 posts

Posted 15 February 2004 - 05:08 PM

This is not the first time that I have seen this exact same complaint about AVG Pro. I wish that I remembered the solution (if there was one). Hang in there, I'm sure that someone will remember it and post it for you. EDIT: I seem to remember it having something to do with Zone Alarm ;)

Edited by WK, 15 February 2004 - 05:11 PM.

#7 merlin_

merlin_

Relax

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,819 posts

Posted 15 February 2004 - 06:27 PM

well I do use zone alarm also :blink: but it worked great on my dell pc and this one I built it wants no part of it :lol:

Edited by merlin_, 15 February 2004 - 06:27 PM.

#8 WK

WK

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • 2,210 posts

Posted 15 February 2004 - 06:38 PM

well I do use zone alarm also :blink: but it worked great on my dell pc and this one I built it wants no part of it :lol:

Try uninstalling Zone alarm and see if that fixes the problem.

Let us know, please. :mrgreen:

#9 merlin_

merlin_

Relax

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,819 posts

Posted 15 February 2004 - 06:40 PM

:mrsgreen: nope avg still slows it to a crawl even without ZA...

#10 Y kawika

Y kawika

Anti-Spyware Brigade

• Admins
  • 19,847 posts

Posted 15 February 2004 - 07:39 PM

Double click the :avg: icon in your task bar and uncheck: Use heuristics. Then reboot and see if it speeds things up. :)

Y kawika's Computers and Stuff

Post When You Want and Help When You Can..........Y

#11 oatman

oatman

Advanced Member

• Anti-Spyware Brigade
  • 2,952 posts

Posted 16 February 2004 - 06:38 AM

I moved to pro and didn't notice any difference in performance. Using Sygate. :beer:

#12 Drovers Dog

Drovers Dog

The Aussie Ambrassiter

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,093 posts

Posted 16 February 2004 - 08:37 AM

I moved to pro and didn't notice any difference in performance.
Using Sygate.

:beer:

:)
This may be as far Left Field as you are likely to get!!
People have given you really good advice, but PLEASE, just try this one!!!
I had the same problem with AVG Free, turned out the Computor had a faulty stick of RAM memory!! If you have two sticks, after grounding yourself by touching a metal part of the Case, take out one, and try it, then take out that one, install the first one and try!! That will tell you!!
If you only have one stick, borrow, or buy another stick to suit your mobo, and try!!

BTW How are ya Mate!!

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :rolleyes: :lol:

Edited by Drovers Dog, 16 February 2004 - 08:38 AM.

#13 8210GUY

8210GUY

I think I say it best when I say I know nothing at all.

• Anti-Spyware Brigade
  • 5,556 posts

Posted 16 February 2004 - 09:25 AM

If you have two sticks, after grounding yourself by touching a metal part of the Case, take out one, and try it

Obviously turning the PC off first but leave the power cable plugged in (as that keeps the case earthed or you'll mess the ram up), I wouldn't advise putting hands inside the case with the machine running unless you really know what your up to, and with my tiny bit of knowledge my guess is removing anything from the PC while still running (powered on) would be a bad thing if not possibly dangerous, just thought I'd mention this incase a lesser experienced person tried doing it with the machine running. :erm:

#14 hellmaster4eva

hellmaster4eva

Advanced Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,190 posts

Posted 16 February 2004 - 09:31 AM

humm I have AVG and it's faster then ever. In the windows loading screen the bar dose not do all the way across the load bar. But i think you problem is when it starts it tries to connect to the internet and if you have dial out 56K then thats Why its trying to update ;)

Edited by hellmaster4eva, 16 February 2004 - 09:32 AM.

#15 Drovers Dog

Drovers Dog

The Aussie Ambrassiter

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,093 posts

Posted 16 February 2004 - 09:40 AM

:) You know, until 8210Guy mentioned it, I would have never thought, ANYONE would ever work on anything electrical, with the power turned on, but it is a valid point!!! Thousands get killed in every Country, just by doing that!! BTW, unplug completely, incase someone walks past, and switches it on!! You still need to earth your self to the case, after the plug is removed! My reason for saying all this is the Human Body generates Static Electricity, and can reach many thousands of VOLTS!! When you ground yourself on the metal part of the case, you may experience a bit of a tingle, like a small shock, then it is gone, but if you touch inside your Computor with that charge in you, you can fry heaps of components!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :rolleyes: :lol:

Edited by Drovers Dog, 16 February 2004 - 09:54 AM.

#16 oatman

oatman

Advanced Member

• Anti-Spyware Brigade
  • 2,952 posts

Posted 16 February 2004 - 10:26 AM

G'day Drovers, I'm well, how are you matey? :beer: :beer: :beer:

Edited by oatman, 16 February 2004 - 10:26 AM.

#17 Drovers Dog

Drovers Dog

The Aussie Ambrassiter

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,093 posts

Posted 16 February 2004 - 10:34 AM

G'day Drovers, I'm well, how are you matey?

:beer: :beer: :beer:

:)
Great Mate, Would you like to comment on Static Electricity to the people, just so they know it is serious?

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :rolleyes: :lol:

#18 8210GUY

8210GUY

I think I say it best when I say I know nothing at all.

• Anti-Spyware Brigade
  • 5,556 posts

Posted 16 February 2004 - 10:37 AM

LOL I help run mobile phone forums and I have seen way to many stupid things done to know to watch out for those who may not realize, it's force of habit really, I realize most if not all would have the common sense to know the obvious I stated, but I've seen to many that wouldn't so it's just a failsafe, but surely if the cable is unplugged the earthing quality goes with it ? :erm: Having the mains lead plugged in should be fine even if someone turns it on, the power would be isolated in the psu which is segregated from everything else, the switch on the PC itself would need to be powered on before you were at risk, and if this did happen just keep your hands out until you've turned it off again, plenty safe enough IMO, but without the case being grounded with the lead plugged in I don't think you'd be earthed properly and as you've said we have static electric in us (especially with nylon carpets) to damage components such as ram. :nuke:

#19 WK

WK

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • 2,210 posts

Posted 16 February 2004 - 11:08 AM

8210GUY

We've gone a little off topic here but this is important. You are exactly right.

In order to ground yourself to the PC, the PC MUST be plugged in. When it is unplugged, the static electricity will find its way to the micro circuitry inside the PC. When you unplug the PC, you remove the path to earth ground.

Electricity takes the path of least resistance. If the PC is grounded (plugged in) and you touch the case, the electricity goes straight to earth through the earth lug in your power cable, plugged into the wall outlet (that is assuming your outlet is properly wired).

If you chose to unplug the PC to work on it, it is important to make sure that you are grounded through some other grounded device. I, personally, use a wrist strap that I plug directly into the earth lug in a properly grounded wall outlet.

The beating of your heart and breathing generates static electricity. You can't get away from it. It only takes about 10v of static electricity to damage micro circuitry in a PC. The human body can easily store over 10,000v of static electricity without you even being aware of it.

Here is a good article to read on the subject:
http://www.webopedia...2002/static.asp

#20 merlin_

merlin_

Relax

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,819 posts

Posted 16 February 2004 - 06:16 PM

:woot: wow came back to see what was being said! :lol: ... No its not a bad stick o ram! test is there I believe!! Yep it is! No I do't open my case while it is on! The funny thing is the free version of avg runs fine! But hey if you pay for somthing you want it to run... IMO.. But if I have to stick with the free version then so be it! Avg I find is on of the best! Would like panda but still another resource hog! Thanks for all your help though guys!! Now I know a little more about electricity :mrgreen: And dont have dial up!! Have a 5000 download speed!

Edited by merlin_, 16 February 2004 - 06:18 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users