Photo

How Do You Find Microsoft Works Product Key?

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Tommy Bryan

Tommy Bryan

• Members
  • 59 posts

Posted 30 November 2003 - 10:06 PM

Hope everyone had a nice Thanksgiving.

Does anyone know how to find the Microsoft Works Product Key? After all, if you lose it, you cannot register your software on re-installation and therefore the software will not continue to work. (At least Microsoft Word will not open after 49 times.)

I know how to find the Windows XP Installation CD Key, and also how to find the Operating System Software Number. I have included the link for both these for those who would like to know. But again, how do you find the Works Product Key?

http://www.magicalje...keyfinder.shtml

http://www.belarc.co...e_download.html

Regards,

TAB

#2 ggarj

ggarj

Advanced Member

• Anti-Spyware Brigade
  • 842 posts

Posted 30 November 2003 - 11:47 PM

:) Greetings ... my friend ..
Hope you had a great Thanksgiving also ...

http://www.google.co...G=Google Search

:)

#3 Newdles

Newdles

Gateway Hater

• Advanced Member
  • 6,643 posts

Posted 30 November 2003 - 11:52 PM

there is software that will tell you the product key. it's freebies and on the net. just do a search for "windows xp product key viewer" and you'll find it probably.

#4 Tommy Bryan

Tommy Bryan

• Members
  • 59 posts

Posted 30 November 2003 - 11:59 PM

qqari, Thanks for the info. I simply could not find it. (Hadn't tried Google.) Also, just to make the point for others, we are talking about Microsoft Works, not XP. Again thanks to everyone. Regards, TAB

#5 Newdles

Newdles

Gateway Hater

• Advanced Member
  • 6,643 posts

Posted 01 December 2003 - 12:01 AM

ohhh... sorry. uhm, isn't it shown when you open ms works? if not, open ms works and click help > about works if not there... see if you can't find a spot to enter a new key and instead of entering new one, copy the old one? been so long since i used it i can't remember anyway.

#6 firekracker

firekracker

slow burn...short fuse

• Anti-Spyware Brigade
  • 7,620 posts

Posted 01 December 2003 - 12:02 AM

qqari,

Thanks for the info. I simply could not find it. (Hadn't tried Google.) Also, just to make the point for others, we are talking about Microsoft Works, not XP. Again thanks to everyone.

Regards,

TAB

gosh, the first 2 entries in the google search ggarj linked yo are for M$ Works :)

#7 Newdles

Newdles

Gateway Hater

• Advanced Member
  • 6,643 posts

Posted 01 December 2003 - 12:07 AM

For all versions of Office, Word, Excel, Works Suite and Home Essentials, the Product ID number can be found by opening the “Word” or “Excel” application, clicking “Help,” and clicking “About [application name]” (e.g. “About Microsoft Word” or “About Microsoft Excel”).

see :) like i said earlier... open ms works and click help/about and it should show ya the key there.

#8 Tommy Bryan

Tommy Bryan

• Members
  • 59 posts

Posted 01 December 2003 - 12:13 AM

Tried opening Microsoft Works and an ID number appeared -- but not the product key. Wonder what the difference is? Either way the Google link seems to be the way to find it, although I haven't tried it yet. Getting late. Y'all sleep good. Regards, TAB

#9 firekracker

firekracker

slow burn...short fuse

• Anti-Spyware Brigade
  • 7,620 posts

Posted 01 December 2003 - 12:25 AM

the 'product key' would be found on the box you purchased MS Works in or if it came preinstalled, the product key should be attached on a sticker to the cd's, or their cover, that came with your computer. if you have lost it and registered your product the first go round...contact M$ :)

#10 Tommy Bryan

Tommy Bryan

• Members
  • 59 posts

Posted 01 December 2003 - 08:02 PM

Okay guys (& gals), back to square one, The Google links only produced other folks who are trying to find their product key also. So far, no results. I think this is an important issue for the following reason: If you lose your original Works CD box with the product key lable on it, and then you decide to re-install your operating software, you will be up the creek when you try to activate Microsoft Works -- since, for example, Microsoft Word is a part of Works and Word will only open 49 times without registration. Of course, Encarta, Streets & Trips etc. are also a part of Works & I am not really sure which of these might continue to run without the product key entered. Either way, we really should have a way to retrieve the Works Product Key, should we lose it. So it seems to me this would be of interest to a lot of folks. How about it? Anybody have a clue? Forget about contacting Microsoft -- according to some of those on the Google links. Y'all are generally too knowledgeable not to have an answer. (Maybe we should put a reward on this one.) Regards, TAB

#11 firekracker

firekracker

slow burn...short fuse

• Anti-Spyware Brigade
  • 7,620 posts

Posted 01 December 2003 - 08:09 PM

maybe i don't understand what your situation is as i reinstalled Works and didn't need to input my product key again...sure, i had to use the cd but i wasn't asked for any information given i had already registered Works when i first installed it ;)

#12 Tommy Bryan

Tommy Bryan

• Members
  • 59 posts

Posted 01 December 2003 - 08:36 PM

firekracker, Thanks for the come back: When you re-install Works over your existing up-and-running operating system, you probably don't need the product key -- since there are residual files in the computer which are sufficent to remember your registration. However, when you re-program your computer / write zeros to the hard drive -- the whole ball of wax etc. -- then you will have to enter your product key -- since you started with a "blank" computer. For those occasions, you will need to know how to find the product key -- ahead of time -- so you will have it when you need it. By the way, I assumed that you were not speaking of having installed Works from a completely fresh start. I did in fact have to enter my product key when I re-programed my computer. If this does't clear things up, then get back with me. Thanks. Regards, TAB

#13 firekracker

firekracker

slow burn...short fuse

• Anti-Spyware Brigade
  • 7,620 posts

Posted 01 December 2003 - 08:55 PM

yes, your reply cleared up a few things, however, from what i understand, if you do not have the product key from your original purchase, your only alternative is to contact M$ who will search their records for your registration info and, for a fee, issue you a new key :)

#14 volt

volt

Indiana Hoosier

• Grand Poobah
  • 33,296 posts

Posted 01 December 2003 - 09:05 PM

Ahh and now we see how important those key codes are. As much as microsoft charges for software,,it would behoove everyone who uses it to hide a few copies of those codes in a few very safe places huh?? :) v

#15 Tommy Bryan

Tommy Bryan

• Members
  • 59 posts

Posted 01 December 2003 - 09:05 PM

firekracker, Thanks again for the response. According to some statements on the Google links earlier mentioned, Microsoft has not been too cooperative with those who tried. (Certainly I don't know this myself for fact.) Anyway, I wonder if you could find the Product Key in the registry? Perhaps their is a little software program for this? My point is, for those who lose their product key -- they are apparently up the creek -- if they have to do a re-install. That is why I believe this is such an important issue. Have you noticed how many people have already viewed this thread? That is evidence to me that there is much interest in this topic. By the way, I have posted this same issue on the Software Tips & Tricks Forums -- still looking for the answer. Regards, TAB

#16 firekracker

firekracker

slow burn...short fuse

• Anti-Spyware Brigade
  • 7,620 posts

Posted 01 December 2003 - 09:18 PM

actually, i hadn't noticed the number of views this thread has had. to busy trying to keep up with folks i'm trying' to help BUT.... what dawned on me before reading your last post was this...you know about Belarc...did you happen to save and then back up a copy of an inventory you did prior to writing zero's to your drive? as for checking your registry, you wiped that out when you zero'd out your drive. basically, i'm tapped on ideas though will continue to rack my brain :mrgreen: in the meantime, you might try sending an email to M$...

#17 Tommy Bryan

Tommy Bryan

• Members
  • 59 posts

Posted 01 December 2003 - 09:28 PM

firekracker. To clarify one point: It would be a matter of searching for it when you realize you no longer have it -- ahead of time -- just in case you DO need it. Thanks for all the help (and others) trying to solve this one. Can't help but mention: anyone who happens to lose their key will greatly appreciate the info when they find they may have to repurchase the software -- as Volt has already alluded to. Again thanks. Regards, TAB

#18 ggarj

ggarj

Advanced Member

• Anti-Spyware Brigade
  • 842 posts

Posted 01 December 2003 - 09:33 PM

:goodnight: Let it be ....

#19 firekracker

firekracker

slow burn...short fuse

• Anti-Spyware Brigade
  • 7,620 posts

Posted 01 December 2003 - 09:38 PM

Tab ~ the solution is NOT to repurchase the software if a product key has been lost or misplaced. i'll tell you it was not a difficult task at all for me to get a new key for a piece of M$ software. my system was completely replaced not too long ago and i returned the wrong cd by mistake with others that had been replaced for me by the computer manufacturer. a couple of emails and 2 phone calls...i was good to go within 36 hours ;) i believe volt was alluding to how important it is to keep those product keys in a safe place and not suggesting that repurchasing the software was the answer if a key should become lost :) good luck to you.....

#20 Tommy Bryan

Tommy Bryan

• Members
  • 59 posts

Posted 01 December 2003 - 11:01 PM

Okay everyone -- a major breakthrough in our pursuit of knowledge! ACCORDING TO GATEWAY from an online live chat session with technical support: Microsoft has supplied the Microsoft Works Suite Product Key (on the original CD box or package) to Gateway (and other computer manufacturers) through 2001 -- and can be supplied from the computer manufacturer -- NOT Microsoft. However, 2002 and up -- you are up the creek, in a wire canoe, no boat plug, and no paddle: you must purchase a new copy of Microsoft Works Suite -- over and out. Yes, it is in the registry -- but Microsoft's security policies will not allow Gateway or other compaines to give out the information on how to find it. Then again, maybe some of you could figure out how to find it in the registry. (By the way, I am sure warranty issues are a different matter -- both with Microsoft and the computer manufacturer.) So the moral of the story is -- it's true! We need to record a copy of the Works Product Key for future refference. You will not find it on your computer, or with Microsoft, or even your computer manufacturer -- if you lose it. That is -- 2002 version and up. This should certainly serve as a wake-up call to all of us. Thanks everyone for your attempts to help with this issue. SEE! It does make a difference when you don't give up. You guys are the "cream of the crop" due to your willingness to "make a difference." Regards, TAB

Edited by Tommy Bryan, 02 December 2003 - 07:34 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users