Pc Fails To Boot Past Memory Check

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_dbr_*

Guest_dbr_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 February 2003 - 04:36 AM

Hi all, As the topic suggests my PC hangs when it completes the memory check at boot. I cannot enter setup (del) or any other function. I am unable to boot from floppy or into safe mode. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. System: AMD 800MHz 256MB RAM WIN98SE (all updates installed) David.

#2 ByGeorge

ByGeorge

GA965P, 3K HT P4, 7900GS, 4 Gig RAM

• Advanced Member
  • 1,373 posts

Posted 25 February 2003 - 05:04 AM

:blink: Wow, try resetting you CMOS switch on the motherboard, if it has one. Change it from it's current possition, to the next connection, and then change it back. Do this with the computer OFF. It might reset your bios to it's default settings, so go straight into the bios if it boots, and reset your configuation, restart. Oh, and pray! :mrgreen: Oh and :welcome:

Edited by ByGeorge, 25 February 2003 - 05:05 AM.

#3 Guest_dbr_*

Guest_dbr_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 February 2003 - 05:47 AM

Thanks for the welcome George, and the suggestion. Unfortunately it didn't help. The CMOS did reset (previously used abreviated memory check - after reset, goes through the full shebang), however, it still freezes when mem check completes. Anything else I should try? BTW - I was using the PC, seemingly OK, when it first froze. I did a manual reset (ctrl-alt-del didn't work) and it simply wouldn't go past the boot memory check subsequently. David.

#4 ByGeorge

ByGeorge

• Advanced Member
  • 1,373 posts

Posted 25 February 2003 - 06:40 AM

:blink: Seems like it's not finding the hard drive, were you downloading anything, or even on the net when it happened? Maybe the cable has come a bit loose to the drive or the board. Does the video card post come up? Is the memcheck right in the information about your RAM? :huh: :)

#5 David Hoffman

David Hoffman

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • 704 posts

Posted 25 February 2003 - 06:52 AM

sound like to me that your hard drive has done the bunk also did the time on the computer go funny for a bit just before this as the lithium battery may have died and lost your bios setting and your hard drive is now not installed just a thought firstly i'd be thinking it is the hdd but how long since you had a battery installed
Hope My Input helps

• Guests

Posted 25 February 2003 - 07:00 AM

It may be worth taking out the RAM and putting it back in again or if you have 2 sticks, putting the second into the first slot but only if you're comfortable doing that kinda thing.

#7 Guest_dbr_*

Guest_dbr_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 February 2003 - 03:05 AM

Thanks all so far. OK situation was: yes I was on the net - am permanently on (ADSL) - home network shared over D-Link713P router (inbuilt hardware firewall and switch). No other computer was on though. (Zone Alarm, and Mcafee virus scan was active for *extra* protection) I was running an application (The Bourse - stock market data) that was retrieving data over the net - it was connected OK and had been working. My email (MS OE) etc was downloading in the background OK - got the 'new mail' sound - hadn't read it though. Nothing 'funky' happened before freeze that I noticed - mouse etc just stopped responding (I wasn't staring at monitor though). Have tried the RAM switcheroo. No Joy. Have tried to disconnect HDD, and boot from floppy. No error message to say no HDD or other error. Yes, video card post comes up and checks OK. Moves on to the RAM check. Previously had fast boot on (no RAM check). Reset CMOS via jumpers on MB and I think that worked as now boot causes full RAM check - ie reset to CMOS defaults. It gets to the end of RAM check with any (or all) of the sticks in and tally's the correct count. It then freezes. I cannot enter CMOS via 'del'. 'Esc' does skip rest of RAM check, but then freezes with the full RAM check showing. Battery flat, causing CMOS to error? I don't know. It is a couple of years old. CMOS chip itself stuffed? I don't know - but the reset worked so maybe not. HDD boot sector (or more) stuffed, I hope not, but suspect so. Anything else I could try before trashing the HDD. I'd like to retrieve data on it - how can I do that - buy another HDD and change this one to slave? If its just the CMOS having lost the HDD install (as D.H. suggests), how do I 're-install' the HDD into CMOS? Thanks again, and hopefully some other ideas ensue..... David. :help:

#8 magog

magog

Anti-1337 Speak Brigade

• Anti-Spyware Brigade
  • 1,762 posts

Posted 26 February 2003 - 07:29 AM

Had a similar problem once beofre, well actually twice. It was two different things. Once it was a corrupt HDD and it would lock up the boot, or it would just ocntinually repeat boot after it would post...kinda a post loop. The otehr time it was a dead/dying mobo battery.

#9 ByGeorge

ByGeorge

• Advanced Member
  • 1,373 posts

Posted 26 February 2003 - 07:41 AM

:woot: Try the battery first. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

#10 John 44

John 44

Linux sampler

• Anti-Spyware Brigade
  • 6,364 posts

Posted 26 February 2003 - 07:49 AM

Your hard drive should not be causing you to not be able to get into your CMOS setup, at least from a software standpoint. The entry into the BIOS/CMOS happens before anything on the hard drive loads. But, to troubleshoot, disconnect all drives, hard drives, floppies, cd-rom, dvd, ..., so that they are not a factor. Disconnect both their power and data cables. Then boot the machine. You should be able to get into your CMOS/BIOS setup. If not, something else is at fault. Remove all add on cards except for your vid. card and try again. Reseat everything. Make sure you processor is still mounted tightly and its cooling fan is operating ok. If it will not go in to CMOS/BIOS after all that, the mobo, memory, cpu, or CMOS are probably bad. If you can get into CMOS, try adding one device at a time until you discover which was the culprit. Edit: The only problems I have ever seen from a dead battery, are that it will cause the CMOS to reset at every boot and the time will be incorrect.. It should not cause you to fail to get into BIOS setup. You can get into setup without a battery on the board. It will just not retain any setting that you change from the defaults. Of course, I'm not talking about a battery that has ruptured and corroded the board.

Edited by simplico, 26 February 2003 - 08:01 AM.

#11 John 44

John 44

Linux sampler

• Anti-Spyware Brigade
  • 6,364 posts

Posted 26 February 2003 - 08:11 AM

Duh :blink: , I forgot the obvious. Also, disconnect your mouse. Then your keyboard is the only device hooked up. Make sure its connection is good and that it is working. Try another on if neccessary.

#12 NETprowler

NETprowler

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • 441 posts

Posted 26 February 2003 - 08:16 AM

I had the same problem once, all I did to fix it was disconnect all the cables to the mobo and reconnect them, booted up fine.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users