Realtek PCIe FE Family Controller error prevents startup

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Kara Gray

Kara Gray

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 06:40 AM

I leave my laptop running 24/7. Twice in the past week, I've come into my office to find it stuck in its startup routine, what appears to be trying to boot from "Realtek PCIe FE Family Controller." It's asking me to insert a disk or other boot media and press any key. I don't have any such thing, and when I restart, my only resolution to get a complete startup is to do a System Restore.

This morning, I realized that this boot error event seems to occur just after a PC Matic scan. In the Drivers Test results, I see where this Realtek network adapter was scanned, but it shows a green light next to it and says 0 drivers were out of date. I have PC Matic Auto Fix and Auto Reboot set to off, so I don't even know why the machine would restart on its own and arrive at this screen.

Any ideas what could be causing this error? The only other change made to my system was adding a new Logitech Wave wireless keyboard, but that worked fine after plugging in the little receiver, and I didn't even get to install the full software package for it. I've since stopped using it, but this Realtek problem persists.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Kara

#2 nigsy

nigsy

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 3,482 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 07:54 AM

Have a look in your BIOS settings.

Might be under power, see if Wake with LAN (or something like that) is on.

The South-West Will Rise Again

Mebyon Kernow - Voice Of Cornwall

#3 IntelGuy

IntelGuy

Yeah, it's pretty, but can it go fast?

• Admins
  • 20,143 posts

Posted 23 April 2013 - 12:11 PM

To verify if the problem is a result of a driver update, you can roll back to the previous driver.   Open the Windows Device Manager by going to Start and right-clicking on Computer, then select Properties>Device Manager.   Find the Network Adapters and click on the "+" to expand the selection, then double-click on Realtek PCIe FE Family Controller to open the properties window.  Then click on the Drivers tab, then click the Roll Back Driver button.   If that resolves the issue, run a manual PC Matic scan, and if it is suggesting a driver update, click on the red rectangle and remove the check mark for the Realtek PCIe FE Family Controller driver.

... avoid foolish controversies and ... strife and disputes ..., for they are unprofitable and worthless. Titus 3:9 NASB

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users