W8 email Account

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 freedom01

freedom01

• Members
  • 289 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 06:52 AM

Just received new PC yesterday (W8) not a fan .. bought it because of the price (I know bad idea). Anyway, I connected it up, did all the set up required and then looked around to view the Mail situation. Come to find out I cannot use the mail that comes with my ISP. Not crazt about the options they supply. I did follow instructions to try and set up "Other Account" but that was a total flop. I created the account using my ISP address and MS said they sent me a reply and if I just follow instructions to verify then it would be a GO. Well did all they asked and sent reply back varifying and my response was the address I am sending to does not exist.

I did a little research and I noticed that they do have the option for Outlook.com, I know this probably is nothing like Outlook Express, but I thought it might worth a shot.

My question is is there anyone here that has W8 and is familar with Outlook.com and if so could you please share your thoughts. TY

I think they went a little overboard with this new OS. Just my simple opinion.  

Meant to mention I did disconnect the new PC with W8 an hour after hooking up and I am now on my worn out W7 PC.

Edited by freedom01, 05 April 2013 - 06:53 AM.

#2 nigsy

nigsy

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 3,536 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 07:10 AM

Isn't outlook.com the new name for hotmail?

Just checked my hotmail account online (normally only access it through thunderbird), and it seems I've had a 'free' upgrade to outlook.com!

The South-West Will Rise Again

Mebyon Kernow - Voice Of Cornwall

#3 freedom01

freedom01

• Members
  • 289 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 07:36 AM

I was able to use my ISP email address with my W7 does this mean I can use it with W8?

#4 8210GUY

8210GUY

I think I say it best when I say I know nothing at all.

• Anti-Spyware Brigade
  • 5,585 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 08:09 AM

I don't see what the OS has to do with getting emails (although I don't know Win 8), these are controlled by a client, traditionally Outlook Ex[press, or Outlook for the posher people who had office back then lol, so as long as you have an email client installed, and are able to manually set up accounts in that, you should be fine, many times you probably need to set up the pop details and security etc, but you should be fine after that.

But as said above, they are now swapping you over to Outlook as opposed to Hotmail, but if you don't have an email client installed that allows adding accounts, with the ability to edit settings, then download Windows Essentials from M$, you should be able to add accounts in that just fine.

#5 Windsurf48

Windsurf48

• Members
  • 200 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 08:57 AM

Have you tried setting up email in a third-party program like Thunderbird?  It should work with Windows 8, although I've only used it with Windows 7.  It's free and runs under Linux and Macs, too.

Also, I recommend Windows 8 Hacks by Preston Gralla for information on the less than intuitive ways to make using Windows 8 easier, especially without a touch screen.  There may be other books as good or better, but I found this one very useful.

Mountain Mods U2O-CYO case, ASUS X99-Deluxe, Core i7-5820k, Noctua NH-D15, 4 x 4 Corsair Vengeance DDR4-2800, Thermaltake Toughpower Grand 1200, eVGA GeForce GTX 980, BenQ XL7270Z monitor, Adaptec 8805 SAS/SATA RAID controller, 6 x Samsung 840 Pro 256 Gig, 2 x Seagate Cheetah SAS 15k 300 Gig

#6 oftentired

oftentired

Dave or David would be an acceptable salutation

• Advanced Member
  • 2,482 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 11:17 AM

Windblows 7 (and I presume 8) dropped Outlook Express which us common poor folk had put to use for so many years as a "free" email client provided by Microbloat with the operating system.

Now if you use outlook.com your using a web-based "cloud" (that just sounds so dreamy and friendly now doesn't it?) email client through your browser. The difficulty with that is if your email provider does not have ready online ("cloud") access available your not going to have an easy time of it. You will need to setup any one (NOT JUST outlook.com there is Yahoo and others too) of the available web based browsers. It can be difficult or impossible to setup them up to access your POP3 email using a free account. The last time I checked into it you had to pay for the advanced features to do so. The end result, assuming succesful setup, is that your emails are stored online at the location of the server where your web based email is located.

If you want to make use of your POP3 or other type email account and actually store the emails on your local computer you must pay for and make use of MS Outlook or choose a free third party email program such as the already suggested, Thunderbird.

Edited by oftentired, 05 April 2013 - 11:23 AM.

Relationships are ours to make; we define them, day by day,
by who we choose to love and how we choose to love them.
And, by these choices, define ourselves. ~Richard N. Patterson

#7 TomGL2

TomGL2

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • 3,079 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 11:57 AM

I cannot use the mail that comes with my ISP.

I'd guess that the ISP providing your email account is more likely able to resolve the problem, since they know all that's needed for email functionality, and presumably want to keep their paying clients.

Microsoft, on the other hand, has an obvious vested interest in misleading you about your email account's compatibility with Windows 8, and persuading you to use their own services.  They have nothing to gain from fixing your problem.

Edited by TomGL2, 21 March 2014 - 02:48 AM.

#8 freedom01

freedom01

• Members
  • 289 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 01:16 PM

Windows 8 real issues with email accounts!!! I gave up and I am trying to work with MS so I created an email account with Hotmail/Windows Live, but it will not work. I then tried Outlook.com that they also suggest it that will not work. When I try going in with my Hotmail account it says I already have an account with the address I used at first form my ISP, but that will not even take. I am on the Windows 8 Pc right now and I cannot get any mail from any source. Would appreciate any suggestions. I haven't tried Google address yet, but I'm sure I would get the same results.

#9 caintry_boy

caintry_boy

Folding for Mama and Daddy

• Moderators
  • 21,605 posts

Posted 05 April 2013 - 03:50 PM

for all my important email stuff I use Thunderbird > https://www.mozilla....US/thunderbird/

Just download and install, enter your ISP info (username, password, pop3 or imap, etc) it will create a desktop icon and start menu item for you. Then all you gotta do is open the program and it will retrieve all your emails...

For other emails I use gmail. > https://accounts.goo...Up?service=mail

:geezer:

Heatware
How To Post A Test
Daniel 5:23 Instead, you have set yourself up against the Lord of heaven. --- You praised the gods of silver and gold, of bronze, iron, wood and stone, which cannot see or hear or understand. But you did not honor the God who holds in his hand your life and all your ways.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users