• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Springbreakbox

Springbreakbox

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 04:16 PM

Hello PC Pitstop!

I am trying to update my 64 bit Windows 7, and it is giving me the aforementioned error codes.

I generally install all the OS updates from Microsoft, but have never encountered an error like this that I couldn't figure out.

Searching for these error codes online brings me to Microsoft tech support forums dating back to 2008. One of the suggestions I found took me to the cmd prompt, but the first command I typed (net stop wuauserv ) resulted in "Error Code 5 / Access is denied" I'm logged in as an administrator, and I don't really understand what this command means, what this error code means, or indeed, why I was directed to the cmd prompt in the first place.

I tried installing the updates after disabling my Avast and Spybot, but got the same error codes.

Here is a description of the updates I want to install, it looks like they were published by MS very recently: http://imgur.com/e8azo

Anyone who can teach me about what is happening with my system will be much appreciated.

Thank you!

Edited by Springbreakbox, 16 November 2012 - 04:32 PM.

#2 Joe C

Joe C

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • 18,957 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 04:49 PM

Try this:

Windows provides a built-in troubleshooter that can automatically find and fix some common problems with Windows Update.
•Open the Windows Update troubleshooter by clicking theStart button , and then clicking Control Panel. In the search box, typetroubleshooter, and then click Troubleshooting. UnderSystem and Security, click Fix problems with Windows Update.

http://answers.micro...c3-4848d2975dfd

#3 Springbreakbox

Springbreakbox

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 11:16 PM

Thanks Joe. As per the windows troubleshooter and MSanswers forum, I've run the built in Windows trouble shooters, on 'regular' and 'advanced', run the uninstallers for Norton and McAfee (which I don't think I even had installed), restored my latest version of IE to default settings, and I still get this error. I suspect that the FIRST update error has to do with IE, because the point at which it crashes is during the installation of "Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer 9" I don't seem to be able to remove IE (it's permanently built into Windows 7?). When trying to make sure my IE is up-to-date and trying to install it from Microsoft... the installer doesn't run because "a more recent version of IE is already installed," so I don't know what more I can do to ensure compatibility with IE. Could this be some incompatibility issue with Windows 8 that will get ironed out in the coming days? The SECOND error occurs, when trying to apply the second update only, "Update for Windows 7 for x64 Systems (KB2731771)".. I don't know what else to try for applying the updates and avoiding the errors. Any other suggestions or context would be great. Thanks!

Edited by Springbreakbox, 16 November 2012 - 11:18 PM.

#4 caintry_boy

caintry_boy

Folding for Mama and Daddy

• Moderators
  • 21,597 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 01:12 AM

Try following the advice in the first post here > http://forums.pcpits...vista-and-win7/ Only install a few updates at a time. See if it helps... :geezer:

Heatware
How To Post A Test
Daniel 5:23 Instead, you have set yourself up against the Lord of heaven. --- You praised the gods of silver and gold, of bronze, iron, wood and stone, which cannot see or hear or understand. But you did not honor the God who holds in his hand your life and all your ways.

#5 Springbreakbox

Springbreakbox

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 05:31 AM

no luck doing them 1 at a time :(

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users