• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Springbreakbox

Springbreakbox

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 04:16 PM

Hello PC Pitstop!

I am trying to update my 64 bit Windows 7, and it is giving me the aforementioned error codes.

I generally install all the OS updates from Microsoft, but have never encountered an error like this that I couldn't figure out.

Searching for these error codes online brings me to Microsoft tech support forums dating back to 2008. One of the suggestions I found took me to the cmd prompt, but the first command I typed (net stop wuauserv ) resulted in "Error Code 5 / Access is denied" I'm logged in as an administrator, and I don't really understand what this command means, what this error code means, or indeed, why I was directed to the cmd prompt in the first place.

I tried installing the updates after disabling my Avast and Spybot, but got the same error codes.

Here is a description of the updates I want to install, it looks like they were published by MS very recently: http://imgur.com/e8azo

Anyone who can teach me about what is happening with my system will be much appreciated.

Thank you!

Edited by Springbreakbox, 16 November 2012 - 04:32 PM.

#2 Joe C

Joe C

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • 18,957 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 04:49 PM

Try this:

Windows provides a built-in troubleshooter that can automatically find and fix some common problems with Windows Update.
•Open the Windows Update troubleshooter by clicking theStart button , and then clicking Control Panel. In the search box, typetroubleshooter, and then click Troubleshooting. UnderSystem and Security, click Fix problems with Windows Update.

http://answers.micro...c3-4848d2975dfd

#3 Springbreakbox

Springbreakbox

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 11:16 PM

Thanks Joe. As per the windows troubleshooter and MSanswers forum, I've run the built in Windows trouble shooters, on 'regular' and 'advanced', run the uninstallers for Norton and McAfee (which I don't think I even had installed), restored my latest version of IE to default settings, and I still get this error. I suspect that the FIRST update error has to do with IE, because the point at which it crashes is during the installation of "Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer 9" I don't seem to be able to remove IE (it's permanently built into Windows 7?). When trying to make sure my IE is up-to-date and trying to install it from Microsoft... the installer doesn't run because "a more recent version of IE is already installed," so I don't know what more I can do to ensure compatibility with IE. Could this be some incompatibility issue with Windows 8 that will get ironed out in the coming days? The SECOND error occurs, when trying to apply the second update only, "Update for Windows 7 for x64 Systems (KB2731771)".. I don't know what else to try for applying the updates and avoiding the errors. Any other suggestions or context would be great. Thanks!

Edited by Springbreakbox, 16 November 2012 - 11:18 PM.

#4 caintry_boy

caintry_boy

Folding for Mama and Daddy

• Moderators
  • 21,098 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 01:12 AM

Try following the advice in the first post here > http://forums.pcpits...vista-and-win7/ Only install a few updates at a time. See if it helps... :geezer:

Heatware
How To Post A Test
Isaiah 6 v5 “Woe to me!” I cried. “I am ruined! For I am a man of unclean lips, and I live among a people of unclean lips, and my eyes have seen the King, the Lord Almighty.”

#5 Springbreakbox

Springbreakbox

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 05:31 AM

no luck doing them 1 at a time :(

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users