• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 dragonlady

dragonlady

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • 607 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 01:21 PM

I have a shortcut on my desktop for java but it seems to be not working when I click on it. I checked my control panel and java isn't even listed but yet it is in my add/remove programs. I also noticed there is a javafx 2.1.1 in the add/remove, do I need this? I updated to the current java and have never had a problem before. Thanks for any help

#2 dragonlady

dragonlady

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • 607 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 06:23 PM

Any help would be much appreciated. Maybe I should remove java and re-install, any suggestions on this?

#3 caintry_boy

caintry_boy

Folding for Mama and Daddy

• Moderators
  • 21,314 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 06:32 PM

I have a shortcut on my desktop for java but it seems to be not working when I click on it. I checked my control panel and java isn't even listed but yet it is in my add/remove programs. I also noticed there is a javafx 2.1.1 in the add/remove, do I need this? I updated to the current java and have never had a problem before. Thanks for any help

If I recall when you click the desktop shortcut it opens Java to the Task Bar with the clock. Are you sure the Java icon (cofee cup) isn't hiding there? I don't think it would hurt to uninstall Java and reinstall. I'd run the removal from Add/Remove and then I'd download Revo and run it just to make sure. Revo > http://www.revounins...e_download.html

:geezer:

Heatware
How To Post A Test
Isaiah 6 v5 “Woe to me!” I cried. “I am ruined! For I am a man of unclean lips, and I live among a people of unclean lips, and my eyes have seen the King, the Lord Almighty.”

#4 TomGL2

TomGL2

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • 3,078 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 06:46 PM

I have a shortcut on my desktop for java but it seems to be not working when I click on it ... I also noticed there is a javafx 2.1.1 in the add/remove

You need the Java runtime ("JRE"), not JavaFX, which should be removed. Visit www.java.com/en/download/manual.jsp#win
and click the Windows Offline link to obtain the latest version. To install, run the program from an account with administrator's rights.

The current Java runtime (version 7 update 9) is also available from

www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/jre7u9-downloads-1859586.html

#5 dragonlady

dragonlady

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • 607 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 10:10 PM

If I recall when you click the desktop shortcut it opens Java to the Task Bar with the clock. Are you sure the Java icon (cofee cup) isn't hiding there? I don't think it would hurt to uninstall Java and reinstall. I'd run the removal from Add/Remove and then I'd download Revo and run it just to make sure. Revo > http://www.revounins...e_download.html

Hi again Caintry - I've always clicked on the shortcut and it always has opened, but never to the taskbar. I updated to version7 update 9 and it seems like it happened after the download.

:geezer:

#6 dragonlady

dragonlady

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • 607 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 10:12 PM

You need the Java runtime ("JRE"), not JavaFX, which should be removed. Visit www.java.com/en/download/manual.jsp#win
and click the Windows Offline link to obtain the latest version. To install, run the program from an account with administrator's rights.

The current Java runtime (version 7 update 9) is also available from

www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/jre7u9-downloads-1859586.html

Hi Tom - I believe the java fx 2.1.1 downloaded when I did my update java 7 update 9

#7 dragonlady

dragonlady

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • 607 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 10:21 PM

I removed the java fx and the problem is solved. Thank you guys!

#8 TomGL2

TomGL2

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • 3,078 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 04:54 AM

I believe the java fx 2.1.1 downloaded when I did my update java 7 update 9

JavaFX runtime is included and installed with later updates of Java version 7. With version 7 update 9 (the newest), an Add/Remove Programs entry for JavaFX is not created. Possibly the automatic update feature installed JavaFX runtime as a separate package when updating an earlier Java 7 release. That's probably the case if the entry was JavaFX Runtime — but if it was JavaFX SDK (software development kit), then it must have been manually downloaded and installed.

I do know that at least one Java update (maybe update 5, which came with JavaFX, probably 2.1.1) caused Java to stop working, because the Java and JavaFX installers executed in parallel and clashed. That could be why the Java shortcut failed.

My practise is set the automatic updater to give a notification before downloading an update. Then, rather than allowing the update, I uninstall Java, then manually download and run the latest offline installer.

#9 dragonlady

dragonlady

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • 607 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 09:15 AM

Hi Tom - I also have mine set to notify me before any download. You uninstall Java each time you have an update? What is the difference between running it offline or online when downloading?

#10 TomGL2

TomGL2

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • 3,078 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 02:10 PM

You uninstall Java each time you have an update? What is the difference between running it offline or online when downloading?

Yes, I always uninstall the present version prior to installing the newer one, in accordance with the developer's recommendations.

Although they are described as "updates", which gives the impression that an installed copy is brought up to date, that is not the case. Each update actually consists of a Java package that installs independently of any previous versions, all of which remain installed. An obvious problem with this approach is the disk space consumed by an increasing number of old Java versions.

A more serious problem is that each new Java release resolves security problems existent in the previous release, but because the earlier versions aren't automatically removed, their vulnerabilities can still be taken advantage of by malicious programs. That alone is a compelling reason to uninstall them.

Another problem is that, although the Java files are installed in a new folder and apart from previous versions, most Registry keys and data are common to them. Depending on the versions already present and being installed, some Registry data can be missing or incorrect afterward.

The online installer is a small program that downloads and installs components, and downloads and runs other installers, which generates a complete Java package.

The updating feature included in the Java control panel is similar to the online installer; one exception is that the working copy of Java cannot be uninstalled before updating This can lead to Registry errors as described above, and was the cause of the previously mentioned JavaFX component that crippled Java 7 update 2 and earlier. The offline and online Java installers running without previous Java versions didn't have this problem.

An offline Java installer is complete in itself, and integrates all the components of the release. It is verified to install correctly on systems without Java, provided that security software doesn't interfere and the Windows Installer is a compatible version.

Edited by TomGL2, 21 October 2012 - 02:14 PM.

#11 dragonlady

dragonlady

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • 607 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 09:26 PM

Hi Tom - Are you saying I should uninstall the current version I have, which is up to date, and then re-install? You said you download and run the latest offline installer, I have never done that before. Like I've said before I'm not very good with computers as a matter of fact, not at all. Everything has to be in layman terms for me. Thank you for the info Tom

#12 TomGL2

TomGL2

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • 3,078 posts

Posted 21 October 2012 - 10:41 PM

Are you saying I should uninstall the current version I have, which is up to date, and then re-install?

If Java is working now without problems, there's no good reason to uninstall it. I suggest whenever updates are offered in future, however, that you do uninstall Java, then update using the online installer from www.java.com, if you have only one computer to update.

Multiple computers are better updated with a single copy of the offline installer from www.java.com/en/download/manual.jsp. You can copy it to a flash drive for easy access by your computers. Or, if you have set up a network, move the installer to the Shared Documents folder (or any other folder shared on the network), and run it from there. You still should uninstall Java before updating.

#13 dragonlady

dragonlady

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • 607 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 08:01 AM

I do only have 1 computer, so I will follow what you suggested in the future. Thank you very much Tom.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users