Please help

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Dalorddragon

Dalorddragon

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 08:05 PM

Hello I have a problem with my computer I don't know how to fix. I have tuneup utilities 2012 and it says I have 3 problems which I have copied and pasted at the end of this post. In device manager is 2 items under network adapters that have a yellow triangle by them they are

GFI Software Firewall NDIS IM Filter Miniport #2
GFI Software Firewall NDIS IM Filter Miniport #3

I tried to update them like tuneup utilities says but it says I have the newest verson I tried to uninstall them but they don't go away they still show up in device manager as if I did not uninstall them. I ran microsoft fixit tool and that did not do nothing either. I have no idea what this is I am running windows 7 ultimate service pack 1

A device is not working properly

Windows reports that the "GFI Software Firewall NDIS IM Filter Miniport #2" device is not working properly.
Recommended solution to the problem

Use Windows Update to check whether new device drivers are available. Proceed as follows:
  • Open Device Manager
  • Search in the device manager for the device whose driver you would like to update and double-click on the device name. You may first have to enable the "Show hidden devices" entry in the "View" menu.
  • Switch to the Driver tab, click Update driver and follow the instructions

What are the effects of this problem?
This can have the following consequences:
  • The device may be unusable
  • The computer may crash often
  • The computer may go a long time without responding
  • Computer performance may be very poor

Windows reports that the "GFI Software Firewall NDIS IM Filter Miniport #3" device is not working properly.

Use Windows Update to check whether new device drivers are available. Proceed as follows:
  • Open Device Manager
  • Search in the device manager for the device whose driver you would like to update and double-click on the device name. You may first have to enable the "Show hidden devices" entry in the "View" menu.

Windows reports that the "SBRE" device is not working properly.

• Open [url="javascript:ShowResult('#checkdetail:1')"%5DDevice Manager%5B/url%5D

Edited by Dalorddragon, 29 July 2012 - 08:09 PM.

#2 TomGL2

TomGL2

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • 3,070 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 10:13 PM

It is important to understand that most "tune up" utilities exaggerate, and sometimes grossly exaggerate, the nature, severity, and impact of the "problems" detected. For example, devices whose drivers fail to load usually won't function, but in the vast majority of cases will not cause slowdowns, freezes, or crashes.

The GFI filter miniport and SBRE device are part of the Vipre antivirus and Internet security products. Most likely they appear disabled in the device manager because the product was inistalled, but the removal was incomplete.

If you uninstalled a GFI Vipre product and have not yet restarted the computer twice, do so,. Then, check the device manager for problem devices. You can double-click a device flagged with a problem icon for more detail about the issue.

If the flagged devices still appear, try reinstalling the product and restarting twice, then uninstalling in Safe mode and restarting twice.

If the problems are not resolved, follow the first two steps, "stop the VIPRE services" and "remove the NDIS IM filter", plus the "unregister SBAMScanShellExt.DLL" step, which are outlined in the article cited below. In addition to stopping the services (I suspect that they are not actually running), you should change the startup type to "disabled".

kb.gfi.com/articles/SkyNet_Article/How-to-manually-remove-VIPRE-Antivirus-and-VIPRE-Internet-Security

#3 Dalorddragon

Dalorddragon

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 10:44 PM

Thanks for your response but I never heard of Vipre antivirus nor have I downloaded or insalled it I use microsoft security essentials I also have malwarebytes anti malware free edition and superantispyware free edition

#4 Dalorddragon

Dalorddragon

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 10:55 PM

When I say I tried to uninstall it I mean from the device manager. Its not even in the add remove programs

#5 TomGL2

TomGL2

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • 3,070 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 11:54 PM

I never heard of Vipre antivirus nor have I downloaded or insalled it

GFI Software Firewall NDIS IM Filter is certainly unique to GFI's network security products. Try this. Open the Network control panel, then right-click a connection and click Properties. If GFI Software Firewall NDIS IM Filter is listed, click the item, then click Uninstall and Yes. Open each connection's properties to similarly remove the filter if it's present.

SBRE is associated with Sunbelt Software, the owner of GFI and Vipre, and its earlier products (e.g., CounterSpy) incorporated this virtual device. Possibly a Sunbelt-branded product was recently removed, and another install/restart/uninstall cycle would resolve the issue.

In addition, here is a removal tool that you could try.

sunbelt-software.com/support/vc/VClean.exe

Edited by TomGL2, 30 July 2012 - 01:00 AM.

#6 Dalorddragon

Dalorddragon

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 12:32 AM

SBRE is associated with Sunbelt Software, the owner of GFI and Vipre, and its earlier products (e.g., CounterSpy) incorporated this virtual device. Possibly a Sunbelt-branded product was recently removed, and another install/restart/uninstall cycle would resolve the issue.

Thanks for your response but like I said I never installed or uninstalled anything from this company

GFI Software Firewall NDIS IM Filter is certainly unique to GFI's netowrk security products. Try this. Open the Network control panel, then right-click a connection and click Properties. If GFI Software Firewall NDIS IM Filter is listed, click the item, then click Uninstall and Yes. Open each connection's properties to similarly remove the filter if it's present.

In addition, here is a removal tool that you could try.

sunbelt-software.com/support/vc/VClean.exe

I opened the network control panal and did what you said and its not in there. Its not in add remove programs either the only place on my computer its at is in the device manager

I tried the removal tool and its still in the device manager

#7 TomGL2

TomGL2

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • 3,070 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 01:11 AM

Did you follow the steps as directed in the last paragraph of my first post? If not, please do so.

#8 Dalorddragon

Dalorddragon

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 01:57 AM

Did you follow the steps as directed in the last paragraph of my first post? If not, please do so.

I tried to follow the steps in that article you posted but I can't because
  • VIPRE Antivirus or VIPRE Internet Security (SBAMSvc.exe)
  • SB Recovery Service (SBPIMSvc.exe)

The two items above are not in services.msc

Sunbelt NDIS IM filter or GFI NDIS IM filter

None of these items are in the the Active Network Connections properties in ncpa.cpl

and none of the registry keys in that article are in my registry

Like I am trying to tell you the only place I am seeing these two items

is in my device manager and I can't remove them.

This might be a stupid question but could this be the work of a hacker or something

#9 Dalorddragon

Dalorddragon

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 02:04 AM

still checking registry I did find these two HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESYSTEMCurrentControlSetservicesSBFWIMCL HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESYSTEMCurrentControlSetservicesSBFWIMCLMP should I just delete these and anymore I find

#10 Dalorddragon

Dalorddragon

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 03:04 AM

Ok I deleted the only two registry keys related to this I could find

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESYSTEMCurrentControlSetservicesSBFWIMCL
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESYSTEMCurrentControlSetservicesSBFWIMCLMP

I deleted the only folder I could find

C:ProgramDataGFI SoftwareAntiMalware

I went to start run cmd then typed in RegSvr32 /u SBAMScanShellExt.DLL and got this error

The module SBAMScanShellExt.DLL failed to load

Make sure the binary is stored at the specified path or
debug it to check for problems with the binary or
dependent .DLL files

The specified module cound not be found

So I reboot my computer and now I have three of them in my device manager

GFI Software Firewall NDIS IM Filter Miniport #4

Edited by Dalorddragon, 30 July 2012 - 03:05 AM.

#11 TomGL2

TomGL2

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • 3,070 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 03:08 AM

Like I am trying to tell you the only place I am seeing these two items ... is in my device manager and I can't remove them.

Yes, yoiu've stated that about four times. The problem is determining why they reappear after being removed.

Before continuing, I like to suggest using System Restore to revert to a time prior to these items appearing. You should do this only if you can approximate the date with reasonable accuracy, i.e., plus-or-minus a few days, and they appeared sometime in the last couple of weeks.

I said to perform only the first two steps and unregister SBAMScanShellExt.DLL, as editing the registry demands considerable caution.

SBFWIMCL and SBFWIMCLMP both appear to be NDIS IM filter services, which could appear in Services.msc labeled as GFI or Sunbelt. Open Services.msc and check for entries that closely match, then double-click each entry, stop the service, and change the startup type to Disabled. Open the Device Manager and remove the NDIS IM filter miniports. Restart the computer.

I suggest performing a file search for folders named GFI and Sunbelt. I cannot see how these entities can be present without the corresponding software having been installed at some time. Possibly it's also marketed by other companies under their names, so review the security software you've installed over the past couple of months.

Edited by TomGL2, 30 July 2012 - 12:56 PM.

#12 Jacee

Jacee

Madam Admin <aka> Maude

• Admins
  • 27,692 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 11:03 AM

This will show you what anti-virus is running on your computer:

Download Security Check by screen317 from here http://screen317.spy...curityCheck.exe or here http://screen317.cha...curityCheck.exe
Save it to your Desktop.
Double click SecurityCheck.exe and follow the onscreen instructions inside of the black box.
A Notepad document should open automatically called checkup.txt.
Please post the contents of that document.

MS - MVP Consumer Security 2006 thru 2014

#13 Glitterina

Glitterina

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 10:39 PM

I have had this same error message about the SBRE device driver not working for months. I was reading what your advice on how to fix it. I saw a post with a Viper removal tool...I tried it and and the error is gone. Thank you so much. for your help...6 months of wondering what did I do was fixed in less then 30 seconds. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users