PC Matic Whitelist for SSD driver

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 AlanRC

AlanRC

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 11:24 AM

My specific problem is that PC Matic "optimizes" the driver for my Corsair Accelerator 60GB SSD cache, which is Nvelo Dataplex. What PC Matic does is change the service startup from Automatic to Manual. This screws up the function of the cache SSD, since it does not get turned on when I boot up the computer. I think I need to add that service to a whitelist so that PC Matic leaves it alone. Is that correct? If so, how do users go about adding a particular service to the Whitelist? I can see how to delete something from a whitelist, but not how to add something. By the way, with SSDs becoming much more common, you need to modify the default settings for PC Matic to leave those drivers alone!!

#2 IntelGuy

IntelGuy

Yeah, it's pretty, but can it go fast?

• Admins
  • 20,113 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 06:26 PM

:wp: The NVELO Dataplex Service has been added to the master white list. PC Matic will no longer alter that service. Go back into Services and reset it from Manual to Automatic and start the service, then run a new PCMatic scan and let us know if the issue is not resolved. To answer the question how to manually white list a service (or a driver, startup program, malware detection, etc), at the end of a new PCMatic scan, from the results dashboard, click on the red rectangle for that item, then from the new screen that opens, either add or remove the check mark for an item, depending on what you want to do.

... avoid foolish controversies and ... strife and disputes ..., for they are unprofitable and worthless. Titus 3:9 NASB

#3 AlanRC

AlanRC

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 02:08 PM

IntelGuy, I did as you suggested, and sure enough PC Matic did NOT try to change NveloSvc from automatic startup to manual. Yay!! Thanks for your very quick response on that! One other related problem is that PC Matic did not detect my Corsair Accelerator SSD cache drive as an SSD, so it recommended for me to schedule regular defragmentation of the drive, but I'm not sure if it meant the hidden SSD or the regular C drive. Now, I don't want to defragment my SSD drive, but I would like to defragment the C drive. In case you are not totally familiar with how the Dataplex software works, it hides the SSD and uses it as cache memory for the hard drive, so I'm worried that PC Matic would be trying to defragment the SSD. Doing so would probably lead to data corruption and a system crash. As long as it is just defragmenting the C drive then there's no problem. Any words on that?

#4 IntelGuy

IntelGuy

Yeah, it's pretty, but can it go fast?

• Admins
  • 20,113 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 06:28 PM

You can open PC Matic and click on Options>Scan Options and make sure there is not a check mark for the Corsair cache drive. If it is not listed there, then PC Matic is not going to try to defrag it. If it is hidden, PC Matic may not be detecting it at all.

There should not be any data corruption or system crashes from defragging an SSD. It may shorten the life of the drive by needlessly using erase/write cycles, but there should not be any other adverse effect. As SSD's use a controller to access the data and not a high-speed actuator arm, there is no performance hit from fragmentation and no performance gain from defragging. Most SSD controllers intentionally create "fragmentation" to equalize the wear on the individual cells.

... avoid foolish controversies and ... strife and disputes ..., for they are unprofitable and worthless. Titus 3:9 NASB

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users