Is dell dimension 4600 a sata hard drive

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 pickster

pickster

• Members
  • 48 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 03:01 PM

I have a dell dimension 4600 hard drive and would like to replace it. Will a Seagate sata hard drive work or is it a different hard drive format. Thanks

Edited by pickster, 22 June 2012 - 03:43 PM.

#2 JustinP526

JustinP526

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • 700 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 04:18 PM

The specs shown here makes it seem the motherboard has 2 IDE ports and 2 SATA ports. In which case, you could then use either IDE(PATA) or a SATA hard drive. Maybe take a look on your motherboard to see if there are SATA ports. http://support.dell....ecs.htm#1084976

Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge' -- Isaac Asimov

#3 Dell_Henry_Rajamanickam

Dell_Henry_Rajamanickam

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 03:58 PM

Hi pickster,

Welcome to the Community.

Yes, Seagate SATA Hard Drive will work. Provided you use specific Seagate SATA HDD compatible with Dimension 4600 and available at Dell. Please check for the below Part numbers for the Seagate SATA HDD:

Part number: R0190 120G, Serial ATA, 8M, 7.2K, Seagate-Alpine
Part number: W3004 80GB SATA, 7.2K, 3.5", 8M, Seagate Alpine
Part number: R0085 120G, Serial ATA, 7.2K, SEAGATE-AVALANCHE

Thanks and regards,

Dell_Henry_Rajamanickam
Dell Social Media Responder

#4 caintry_boy

caintry_boy

Folding for Mama and Daddy

• Moderators
  • 21,314 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 05:35 PM

Hi pickster,

Yes, Seagate SATA Hard Drive will work. Provided you use specific Seagate SATA HDD compatible with Dimension 4600 and available at Dell. Please check for the below Part numbers for the Seagate SATA HDD:

Thanks and regards,

Dell_Henry_Rajamanickam

First of all Dell_Henry_Rajamanickam, I removed your links because I deemed them unacceptable according to forum rule #5 which states

You may post a link to a website or forum in your signature. However, this is not a place to advertise your business, website, forum, etc. Anything considered to be advertising or "spam" will be removed without notice.

Secondly, I've dealt with a number of older Dell rigs and have never had trouble replacing the HDD...IMO SATA drives are backwards compatible and I've never found one that wouldn't work.

:geezer:

Heatware
How To Post A Test
Isaiah 6 v5 “Woe to me!” I cried. “I am ruined! For I am a man of unclean lips, and I live among a people of unclean lips, and my eyes have seen the King, the Lord Almighty.”

#5 badbinary

badbinary

the dude abides

• The SWAT Team
  • 8,804 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 08:40 PM

Hi pickster,

Thanks and regards,

Dell_Henry_Rajamanickam

don't listen to this guy. he's simply trying to make money for dell...i would consider his post spam and only spam.

honestly, just about any sata hard drive will work.

"Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, — That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government"

#6 Dell_Henry_Rajamanickam

Dell_Henry_Rajamanickam

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 01:53 PM

“ Sorry about that will make sure I adhere to it :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users