7 beep error code

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 BlksnshN

BlksnshN

• Members
  • 187 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 02:23 PM

Hello, I have a Dell Inspiron M5010 Laptop that I am experiencing some major problems with. Wednesday night, everything worked fine with no problems at all. Then the next morning I hit the power button to start it up but saw only a black screen and heard 7 short beeps. I've been online and from what I can tell this code means that the motherboard has gone bad. I have the ability to change the motherboard on my own, however, I don't want to spend the $200 dollars to do so and have it not fix the problem as funds are quite tight right now. Any insight into this issue would be appreciated.

#2 TomGL2

TomGL2

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • 3,070 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 06:00 PM

The Dell Inspiron setup manual states that the 7-beep code indicates processor failure.

Edited by TomGL2, 05 May 2012 - 06:09 PM.

#3 BlksnshN

BlksnshN

• Members
  • 187 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 03:33 PM

The Dell Inspiron setup manual states that the 7-beep code indicates processor failure.

I read that it can be either but that it's much less likely to be the processor than the board itself.

Anyone know how I can be sure which one it is?

#4 caintry_boy

caintry_boy

Folding for Mama and Daddy

• Moderators
  • 21,117 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 06:12 PM

Best way to tell is if you have a known working spare CPU to test the board with, or vice versa, mobo to test the CPU with... Otherwise a trip to the shop to test the two components would be likely. Just my opinion... :geezer:

Heatware
How To Post A Test
Isaiah 6 v5 “Woe to me!” I cried. “I am ruined! For I am a man of unclean lips, and I live among a people of unclean lips, and my eyes have seen the King, the Lord Almighty.”

#5 BlksnshN

BlksnshN

• Members
  • 187 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 09:15 PM

Best way to tell is if you have a known working spare CPU to test the board with, or vice versa, mobo to test the CPU with... Otherwise a trip to the shop to test the two components would be likely.

Just my opinion...

:geezer:

I have one CPU, but I don't think it is compatible as it is an Intel and the one I'm having problems with is an AMD.

#6 caintry_boy

caintry_boy

• Moderators
  • 21,117 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 09:49 PM

I have one CPU, but I don't think it is compatible as it is an Intel and the one I'm having problems with is an AMD.

Nope! Shot down in flames on that one...maybe one of the other guys here could tell you how to test the board's voltage to the CPU socket...lessee, "Guys, oh guys..."

Heatware
How To Post A Test
Isaiah 6 v5 “Woe to me!” I cried. “I am ruined! For I am a man of unclean lips, and I live among a people of unclean lips, and my eyes have seen the King, the Lord Almighty.”

#7 BlksnshN

BlksnshN

• Members
  • 187 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 09:52 PM

Nope! Shot down in flames on that one...maybe one of the other guys here could tell you how to test the board's voltage to the CPU socket...lessee, "Guys, oh guys..."

Didn't think so.

I think I've learned my lesson to never touch a Dell again. This thing was just 1 month past the warranty when it died.

#8 caintry_boy

caintry_boy

• Moderators
  • 21,117 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 06:33 AM

More than likely it is the motherboard that's died or has problems. CPU's rarely fail unless we overvolt them... :rolleyes:

One of the "guys" found this: http://en.community....t/19410270.aspx

edit: if it's still under warranty, I'd send it back in a huge hurry. ;)

Heatware
How To Post A Test

#9 BlksnshN

BlksnshN

• Members
  • 187 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 02:30 PM

More than likely it is the motherboard that's died or has problems. CPU's rarely fail unless we overvolt them... :rolleyes:

One of the "guys" found this: http://en.community....t/19410270.aspx

edit: if it's still under warranty, I'd send it back in a huge hurry. ;)

It's past warranty by about 1 month.

Thanks for the link. That's one of the threads I had read that leads me to believe it is the MB.

I'm tossing around the idea of just scrapping this thing and picking up an entry level desktop that can be upgraded in the future.

#10 caintry_boy

caintry_boy

• Moderators
  • 21,117 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 02:50 PM

It's past warranty by about 1 month.

Thanks for the link. That's one of the threads I had read that leads me to believe it is the MB.

I'm tossing around the idea of just scrapping this thing and picking up an entry level desktop that can be upgraded in the future.

Well it figures that the warranty is up. :yup: Why not build your own desktop, we can help with that...post up what you think you'd like over in the O/C forum...> http://forums.pcpits...s-overclocking/

Heatware
How To Post A Test

#11 BlksnshN

BlksnshN

• Members
  • 187 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 03:02 PM

Well it figures that the warranty is up. :yup: Why not build your own desktop, we can help with that...post up what you think you'd like over in the O/C forum...> http://forums.pcpits...s-overclocking/

I would love to do that but I think it would be a bit too pricey at the moment and I kind of need something soon. So I was looking at this PC because the review says it's easily upgraded. I figure a new PSU, Graphics card, and a couple sticks of RAM should make this thing run really nice. I figured I could use my HDD and Blu Ray as external drives if I picked up a couple cases.

I can pick up a reman for around 300.00

http://www.pcmag.com...,2370315,00.asp

Edited by BlksnshN, 08 May 2012 - 03:07 PM.

#12 Joe C

Joe C

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • 18,957 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 03:24 PM

Seems that there are a lot of Dell's with this problem. Contact Dell and ask very nicely if they will extend your warranty, If you get someone who's in a good mood and because they know there's an issue with this board...They might warranty it for you. It won't hurt to ask, the most they will do is say no

#13 caintry_boy

caintry_boy

• Moderators
  • 21,117 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 07:52 PM

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16883108660

You could always add a bigger hard drive at a later date...

Heatware
How To Post A Test

#14 BlksnshN

BlksnshN

• Members
  • 187 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 09:13 PM

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16883108660

You could always add a bigger hard drive at a later date...

I don't really fancy the 32 - bit version of windows 7. I've read that it will only recognize up to 4gb of ram. + I really want an HDMI port.

#15 BlksnshN

BlksnshN

• Members
  • 187 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 10:11 PM

What do you think about this?

Only downside I see is that it only supports up to 8 GB RAM.

http://www.ebay.com/...9#ht_4230wt_952

#16 caintry_boy

caintry_boy

• Moderators
  • 21,117 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 01:16 AM

What you buy on ebay generally has no warranty after 30 days. Be sure if you want to buy from there that you ask about warranty and I would only select from a list specified as "New". Also make certain that the seller has a 100% satisfaction rating. :geezer:

Heatware
How To Post A Test

#17 BlksnshN

BlksnshN

• Members
  • 187 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 02:39 PM

What you buy on ebay generally has no warranty after 30 days. Be sure if you want to buy from there that you ask about warranty and I would only select from a list specified as "New". Also make certain that the seller has a 100% satisfaction rating.

That one is stated as new with a 3 year warranty on cpu, motherboard, and hard drive with a lifetime warranty on memory. They also have 100% feedback.

#18 caintry_boy

caintry_boy

• Moderators
  • 21,117 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 06:24 PM

Might be worth a shot...I'm sure the warranty refers to the manufacturer. :geezer:

Heatware
How To Post A Test

#19 BlksnshN

BlksnshN

• Members
  • 187 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 03:48 PM

If I do decide to change the motherboard in my current laptop, will I have to reinstall Windows 7?

#20 Joe C

Joe C

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • 18,957 posts

Posted 10 May 2012 - 05:33 PM

odds are pretty good that you'll need the exact same board to fit in the lower half of the laptop case, so in stating that ....you will not need to replace your windows

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users