Photo

PCMatic SSD support

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 avatarhammer

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 08:54 PM

Hey Intel Guy, Just reinstalled PCMatic after a hiatus of 3mos (forgot to renew :facepalm: ). I saw the new SSD support. It doesn't work for my 4x SSD RAID0 Array. It isn't detected and PCMatic thinks my C Drive is just a normal HDD. Is there any manual way to set it? For now I'll just skip the defrag and use my old stand by JKDefrag on the HDD's. No Biggie, but would be nice o have some drive optimization for the SSD Array. At the moment I just rely on each individual drives garbage collection function. Be neat to have some kind of TRIM function or something similar for all the RAID guys out here. :yup: Regards, Hans P.S. PCMatic works nicely as always.

#2 IntelGuy

IntelGuy

Yeah, it's pretty, but can it go fast?

• Admins
  • 20,081 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 09:19 PM

:wp: The SSD detection and automatic tweaking is a new feature that is currently under implementation. Although PC Pitstop is at the forefront of this technology in computer utilities, we are still refining the procedure to detect SSD's sitting behind a RAID controller. I have the same issue on my own personal PC's, but we are working hard to get it resolved. It is also going to take some time to make sure that all of the hundred's of different SSD model names and model numbers are correctly added to our database. However, that said, I would recommend that you do not defrag your SSD's or RAID array at all. The SSD controllers intentionally split the files in order to accomplish wear leveling on the drive cells. As there are no spinning platters and no flailing actuator arm, the seek time on an SSD is virtually the same no matter where the data is stored. Defragging an SSD will not improve performance and can actually shorten the life of the drive. Once the SSD tweaks are implemented, PC Matic should be able to disable the scheduled Windows 7 defrag and turn on the TRIM function.

... avoid foolish controversies and ... strife and disputes ..., for they are unprofitable and worthless. Titus 3:9 NASB

#3 avatarhammer

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 06:39 PM

No defragging of SSD's here, just the SSD's built in garbage collection. Cool to hear you're working on SSD's behind RAID :mrgreen: I've got a single Intel SSD on another PC that'll get PCMatic. I'll check out the SSD functionality soon. Thanks, and keep up the good work. Hans

#4 JimboCE

JimboCE

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 12:52 PM

Win7

ASUS X79 i7-3820 Overclocked 4.9GHZ

500GB SSD System Raid0

4TB HDD Data Raid 0

2TB HDD Backup

PCMatic is turning off defrag for all my drives because of the SSD.  While I want it turned off for SSD, I still want my HDD's defragged and optimized.  Is there an option for this?

#5 IntelGuy

IntelGuy

Yeah, it's pretty, but can it go fast?

• Admins
  • 20,081 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 08:21 PM

:wp:

If you open PC Matic and go to Options>Scan Options  each drive should be listed by drive letter with two check boxes for each drive, one to scan the drive and one to defrag it.  Add or remove the check marks as preferred, then click on the red Save button.

The scheduled scans are configured separately through the scheduler, which can be accessed by clicking to the right of Next Test which is below or to the right of the computer name.  If you need to make changes in the scheduled scans you will need to delete the existing schedules and create new ones.

... avoid foolish controversies and ... strife and disputes ..., for they are unprofitable and worthless. Titus 3:9 NASB

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users