• Please log in to reply
74 replies to this topic

#1 Sanford

Sanford

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • 657 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 08:00 PM

can anyone tell me why I get this type of pixelation when using gtk record my desktop?

it was working fine before I installed compiz.

any ideas on how to resolve i?

#2 adam22

adam22

Open Your Mind

• Advanced Member
  • 2,299 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 08:06 PM

Under advanced settings try zero compression and 20+ fps

#3 Sanford

Sanford

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • 657 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 08:27 PM

I just tried that and it made it worse

#4 Bruce

Bruce

Geezer

• Grand Poobah
  • 42,478 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 08:43 PM

The wobby window effect was never really captured well in recordmydesktop.

You can try the below command however I don't know how well it would work with pulse audio junk, the command uses alsa.

ffmpeg -f alsa -itsoffset 00:00:02.000 -ac 2 -i hw:0,0 -f x11grab -s $(xwininfo -root | grep 'geometry' | awk '{print $2;}') -r 15 -i :0.0 -sameq -f avi -s wvga -y screencast.avi

Edited by Bruce, 11 March 2012 - 09:44 PM.

http://itsyourpc.org

Microsoft blew its right foot off with Windows 8.
They went to the doctor to get it reattached with Windows 8.1 only to wake up to find out that a second left foot was attached in place.

#5 Sanford

Sanford

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • 657 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 08:48 PM

ok, thanks I'll try it. I think I'm using banshee. hey thanks Bruce, worked like a charm. it also captured sound also , which I wasn't expecting. how do I just capture video? would you mind giving me a brief explanation of what all that stuff means, though? As Adam mentioned in the other compiz thread I started , I should really start trying to understand what the code is doing. The 'ol give a man a fish , feed him for a day , teach him how to fish , feed him for life proverb. :mrgreen:

Edited by Sanford, 11 March 2012 - 09:01 PM.

#6 adam22

adam22

Open Your Mind

• Advanced Member
  • 2,299 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 09:16 PM

Pulse Audio and ALSA are audio controllers/sound servers. Banshee is just a music player. Bruce is right, Pulse Audio sucks. I couldn't really explain that command to you. It looks like it gives you specific arguments for converting the video you are capturing.

#7 Bruce

Bruce

Geezer

• Grand Poobah
  • 42,478 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 09:19 PM

No it isn't converting, it is using ffmpeg directly for screen captures, it works much better than recordmydesktop if trying to capture effects. The audio may or may not be out of sync, but that is adjustable using delays.

They went to the doctor to get it reattached with Windows 8.1 only to wake up to find out that a second left foot was attached in place.

#8 adam22

adam22

Open Your Mind

• Advanced Member
  • 2,299 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 09:32 PM

Is there a GUI for ffmpeg to do this?

#9 Bruce

Bruce

Geezer

• Grand Poobah
  • 42,478 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 09:37 PM

No there is no GUI. It is just a command that I use to capture desktops with effects and audio. Video below is a small example

Posted Image

Edited by Bruce, 11 March 2012 - 09:39 PM.

#10 Bruce

Bruce

Geezer

• Grand Poobah
  • 42,478 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 09:59 PM

ok, thanks I'll try it. I think I'm using banshee.

hey thanks Bruce, worked like a charm. it also captured sound also , which I wasn't expecting. how do I just capture video?

would you mind giving me a brief explanation of what all that stuff means, though? As Adam mentioned in the other compiz thread I started , I should really start trying to understand what the code is doing. The 'ol give a man a fish , feed him for a day , teach him how to fish , feed him for life proverb. :mrgreen:

It is pretty simple, and there is mountains of info at ffmpegs documentation site.

ffmpeg it the application

-f alsa -itsoffset 00:00:02.000 -ac 2 -i hw:0,0
defines the audio system aka alsa, the offset to start the audio capture, ac is the number of channels to record, -i hw0,0 specifies the capture device aka microphone

-f x11grab -s $(xwininfo -root | grep 'geometry' | awk '{print $2;}') -r 15 -i :0.0
this is using x11grab to grab the active screen, xwininfo is the window information grabbing the the screen geometry information -r 15 is the frame rate. -i 0,0 is the current desktop or screen

Finally
-sameq -f avi -s wvga -y screencast.avi
is telling ffmpeg to use the same quality of the current screen the size and file type to save.

ffmpeg is basically pulling all this together and saving the output to mp4, or avi..................or whatever you choose to save.

I then convert to flv files so I can display my screencasts on my own server with the command below.

ffmpeg -i ~out.avi -ar 22050 -ab 32 -f flv -s 700x400 -qscale 9 ~out.flv

That converts the original file into flv file while scaling its size appropriately for web use.

It took a 260 meg avi, and turned it into a 21 meg flv file.

#11 adam22

adam22

Open Your Mind

• Advanced Member
  • 2,299 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 10:31 PM

Works well Bruce, but openshot doesn't want to let me add the file to the project. It lets me add an flv I converted, but the conversion made the video speed up.

#12 Bruce

Bruce

Geezer

• Grand Poobah
  • 42,478 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 10:37 PM

Never in many many years have I had an flv speedup using ffmpeg to convert it. Don't know about what openshot is doing, or why it can't load a simple avi or mp4 file.

#13 adam22

adam22

Open Your Mind

• Advanced Member
  • 2,299 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 10:24 AM

I don't know what happened Bruce. I basically copied and pasted your commands, except I changed the filename to match mine. The flv just looked like it was on fast forward. OpenShot thought the avi was 23:59:59 long for some reason and didn't want to add it. If I can figure it out, I would agree this is a much better method of recording a desktop.

#14 Sanford

Sanford

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • 657 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 07:29 PM

cool video Bruce , I hope I can get those effects setup. I, like Adam , was also hoping for a GUI for it, as I'm more comfortable with the visual aspect than the code, but I guess I'll just have to get used to it.

#15 Sanford

Sanford

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • 657 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 07:35 PM

Pulse Audio and ALSA are audio controllers/sound servers. Banshee is just a music player. Bruce is right, Pulse Audio sucks. I couldn't really explain that command to you. It looks like it gives you specific arguments for converting the video you are capturing.

Am I using Pulse Audio, where do I check this?

#16 adam22

adam22

Open Your Mind

• Advanced Member
  • 2,299 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 07:36 PM

I was just curious to see if there was a GUI for ffmpeg. I don't mind using the CLI and in fact it can be beneficial.

#17 Bruce

Bruce

Geezer

• Grand Poobah
  • 42,478 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 07:51 PM

Just about 90% of all video editing software out there in Linux is nothing more than a GUI for ffmpeg. Pick an app and use it. I prefer the command line for most of ffmpeg work because it gives 100 times more control then any one GUI could possibly support. :shrug:

#18 Sanford

Sanford

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • 657 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 07:52 PM

oh, well I was hoping for GUI, lol.

I was also wondering if there's any way to select what part of the screen I wanted to capture, and if there's any way to start and stop the recording without the terminal popping up in the middle of it. I kinda liked that about GTK.

The next question I had about compiz manager was about the buttons for the zoom effect. What's the super button ? and where it says button 3 , what is that ?

#19 Bruce

Bruce

Geezer

• Grand Poobah
  • 42,478 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 07:58 PM

http://ffmpeg.org/ffmpeg.html#SEC17 You would do it with offsets. http://ffmpeg.org/ff...ml#X11-grabbing If you specify an offset then it will grab only that area of the screen, but if you move windows around obviously they would move outside of that area.

#20 adam22

adam22

Open Your Mind

• Advanced Member
  • 2,299 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 08:04 PM

Super button is the windows key.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users