HDMI Audio

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 ghcjr51

ghcjr51

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 05:11 PM

I am running a Dell Inspiron 1525 SE laptop, Intel Core 2 Duo, Windows 7 Home, Dell MB 0U990C, Chipset Mobile PM965/GM965/GL960, Onboard Sound enabled: Sigmatel 9205. When I connect the HDMI cable to an HDTV I get video but no audio via the HDMI; I do get audio through the laptop speakers and headphone jacks. Device manager shows two sound drivers enabled and "working properly": Intel High Defintion Audio HDMI ver. 6.10.0.2035 dated 6/6/2007 and SigmaTel High Definition Audio CODEC ver. 6.10.0.5866 dated 2/15/2008. Both PCMatic and Device Driver report that I have the latest versions of these drivers. The Control Panel Sound Playback Tab shows 2 devices: Speakers/Headphones (default) and Digital Output Device (SPDIF out) (ready) both controlled/managed by the SigmaTel CODEC. The SigmaTel interface only gives options to control the two headphone jacks and the laptop speakers, nothing for HDMI. I did reinstall the SigmaTel Driver to ensure I did not skip some setting for HDMI in the set-up and there was none. I found some other dated reports of this problem on the internet after users upgraded from Vista to Win 7 and suggesting that it was a driver problem. I seem to recall using HDMI out on this laptop and having audio via HDMI at sometime in the past, so my problem may have started when I upgraded to Win 7 also (more than a year ago), but had not had a need to use HDMI (again) until recently and encountered the problem. I searched for an updated Intel Audio driver, thinking it may be the control for HDMI, and found ver. 6.10.01.2089 but release notes for the package it was in indicated it was not for my Chipset versions, so I have not tried to install it for fear of creating more problems. Any suggestions for getting HDMI audio working?

#2 TomGL2

TomGL2

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • 3,070 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 10:06 PM

I believe S/PDIF should be selected.

#3 ghcjr51

ghcjr51

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 12:37 AM

I did try that option before I posted, but forgot to mention that I had tried that. Choosing SPDIF turns off sound to the speakers and headphones, but does not provide it over the HDMI cable. I believe that the SPDIF option is for the S-video out TV Connector that is also included on this laptop; the manual says that this connector "Also connects digital audio capable devices using the TV/digital audio adapter cable."

#4 TomGL2

TomGL2

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • 3,070 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 02:19 AM

The Dell-supplied HDMI driver is apparently buggy, and their official prosition is that HDMI on that laptop is strictly video.

Download the Intel GMA driver package (I assume you're running Windows 7).

downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=18231&lang=eng

Unzip the file. In the Device Manager, update the Intel HDMI audio device, and elect to choose the location and driver to install, then browse to the HDMI directory in the extracted files.

Edited by TomGL2, 07 March 2012 - 02:21 AM.

#5 ghcjr51

ghcjr51

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 07:10 PM

Thanks, that seems to have fixed the problem. I now have an HDMI option in the Control Panel Sound Playback tab and with the HDMI option selected as the default I get sound through the HDTV when the HDMI cable is connected. Thanks for your help in finding the driver.

#6 Y kawika

Y kawika

Anti-Spyware Brigade

• Admins
  • 19,823 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 06:23 AM

Very cool! :tup: Nice job, as usual TomGL2, I'm sure this may help many others searching for relief with this issue. Congratulations, ghcjr51, and :wp: :) Y

Y kawika's Computers and Stuff

Post When You Want and Help When You Can..........Y

#7 Michelle's Cakes

Michelle's Cakes

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 09:24 PM

I recently found I have the SAME problem! :surrender: I have a Dell Studio, Windows 7, (not sure where to get chipset mobile info?) The link TomGL2 posted, for some reason, isn't downloading for me. It keep saying "Waiting for downloadmirror.intel.com" at the bottom of the screen. I wonder if this link isn't for my labtop.

Update: I was able to download the zipfile. But still do not see In the Device Manager, where to update the Intel HDMI audio device. It still isn't listed.

Edited by Michelle's Cakes, 07 December 2012 - 10:07 PM.

#8 TomGL2

TomGL2

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • 3,070 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 11:54 PM

I have the SAME problem! I have a Dell Studio

The solution provided is specific to Inspiron 1525 SE, although it would work for most systems using any of the chipsets listed on the Intel download page. It is unlikely to apply to your computer, however, as there are many "Dell Studio" models and variants that do not use any kind of Intel graphics or audio.

Provide your system's complete and exact model number, and I'm sure we can resolve the issue.

Meanwhile, try this — connect the monitor or TV via HDMI (required for the next step to work). In the Control Panel, under Sound, open Manage Audio Devices. Select HDMI, or S/PDIF, or Digital Audio, depending on what's available. Choosing "Set Default" may be needed as well.

Edited by TomGL2, 07 December 2012 - 11:56 PM.

#9 Michelle's Cakes

Michelle's Cakes

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 09:13 AM

Hi, the only option in my Manage Audio Devices are IDT High Def Audio CODEC, which says "working properly". And the other option is Independent R.T.C, Headphones, which says Not Plugged In. My Labtop is a Dell Studio 1737, Windows 7, Intel ® Core ™ 2DUO CPU T6600 @ 2.20GHz, 4.00GB, 64-Bit Operating System, Mobile Intel ® 4 Series Chipset PCI Express Root Port 2A41, Mobile Intel ® 4 Series Chipset Processor to DRAM Controller-2A40. Intel ® ICH9 Family PCI Express Root Port 1-2940, Port 2-2942, Port 4-2946, Port 6-294A HDMI isn't listed in Device Manager either. By the way, If I go and purchase another wire. Headphone on one end and red/white plug on the other end and plug that straight into my bose system, would that give me the sound?

Edited by Michelle's Cakes, 08 December 2012 - 09:38 AM.

#10 TomGL2

TomGL2

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • 3,070 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 01:12 PM

The HDMI output wouldn't appear as a video device, any more than would the VGA port. In some cases, however, an HDMI audio device of some kind is reported, and that's what we're looking for.

There is some ambiguity regarding the graphics hardware and Studio 1737 in general. I'll assume that you have both Intel 4500MHD and AMD HD 3650, but do check the Device Manager to verify the installed hardware.

The best first step is to update to the current drivers, which are typically unavailable from Dell.

Intel —
downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?DwnldID=22167&lang=eng

AMD —
support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/windows/Legacy/Pages/legacy-radeonaiw-vista64.aspx?lang=us&rev=12.6

After updating and restarting the computer, check for new ouput devices with the Sound applet. I'd guess that the HDMI output is routed to the HD 3650, so AMD audio seems likely, but the Intel hardware may have the HDMI, with integrated graphics and audio.

#11 Michelle's Cakes

Michelle's Cakes

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 07:10 PM

When I try to download the first link. I get a error message that says, "This computer does not meet the minimum requirements for installing the software" So I tried to download again using the recommended settings and that error message came up again. What's weird, I did buy/plug in audio cables, in addition to the HDMI cable and now in my sound settings, "ATI HDMI" Output is NOW listed. Jack information: "HDMI Digital Jack" It worked Saturday,for time when I needed to use my flatscreen TV, but I guess buying an extra cable defeats the purpose of a HDMI cable, I would think? Anyway, I appreciate your help!

Edited by Michelle's Cakes, 10 December 2012 - 07:17 PM.

#12 TomGL2

TomGL2

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • 3,070 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 01:14 AM

I did buy/plug in audio cables, in addition to the HDMI cable and now in my sound settings, "ATI HDMI" Output is NOW listed

Plugging in a stereo audio cable should be unrelated to the ATI HDMI Output appearing. If you installed the Catalyst drivers from AMD, that would have included the ATI HDMI Output device, so it's now available (and the extra audio cable is unneeded). The HD 3650 video card contains the equivalent of minimal sound card, which is needed to send audio to HDMI.

I'm puzzled by your usage of the term "download". I think you mean "install".

As for the "does not meet the minimum requirements" message, that suggests that the computer doesn't have Intel graphics. As I said, there is considerable ambiguity in Dell's documentation as to just what hardware is in the Studio 1737. As mentioned in my previous post, you really must check the Display Adapters category in the Device Manager to determine what graphics hardware is present.

#13 Michelle's Cakes

Michelle's Cakes

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 10:24 PM

Sorry, I meant Install. I had to step away from it for awhile, it was giving me a headache. I appreciate your help.

#14 twdoherty

twdoherty

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 01:31 PM

Thanks!  The Intel GMA driver package  worked on my Inspiron 1525 running Windows 7 Ultimate.

7 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 7 guests, 0 anonymous users