• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 zmike

zmike

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • 329 posts

Posted 05 June 2011 - 12:07 AM

Hi, I have very strange behaviour with my laptop screen. it's dv9000 hp pavillion It shows green pixelated lines allover the images especially black..The pattern is strange and looks like as if a plastic sheet is being pressed on the LCD, This is the issue right from the moment the laptop starts up HP LOGO, BIOS, etc...not specific to OS. everything black is shown as almost green.everything is in green even the bios when iam in windows everthing is pixelated with green/black/white lines in it or the color is mixed Please help if anyone can...sorry for the long post. Thank You!!

#2 Doug

Doug

Attitudes are contagious....... Is yours worth catching?

• Anti-Spyware Brigade
  • 5,918 posts

Posted 05 June 2011 - 08:14 AM

I've seen similar caused by physical distress to the Display Panel. The effect can occur as a result of twisting or lifting the laptop by an upper corner of the display panel when open. I currently own an Inspiron 6400 which was roughly treated by the prior owner, to the point that the owner simply threw it away. Since the damage was already done, I decided there was no risk of further loss from my attempts to physically manipulate the display screen panel. That screen now appears with no visual pixelation. My best result came from placing both thumbs at the top two corners, and then pressing firmly with finger tips on the back-middle of the screen. Your mileage may vary.

Though we cannot change the direction of the wind,
We may adjust our sails.

#3 SoulFly

SoulFly

• Members
  • 183 posts

Posted 05 June 2011 - 09:53 AM

i have seen green pixelation in bios but the cause was the video card. Perhaps not your case unless somehow the connection from the board to the screen is not proper. Did you drop it lately or anything?
Disclaimer:
By reading the above post you adhere and agree to all that is written. You may not opinion-ate, comment nor question. Response is a direct violation of this agreement

#4 zmike

zmike

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • 329 posts

Posted 05 June 2011 - 10:06 AM

Maybe, how would I be able to figure out which is the video card cable? Could I replace it with a cable from a regular desktop? I've heard that some laptops have video card soldered to mobo, does that make a difference? thanks!

#5 Bruce

Bruce

Geezer

• Grand Poobah
  • 42,521 posts

Posted 05 June 2011 - 10:06 AM

It is indeed a problem with the video chip. It is a well known issue and will cost you anywhere from 100 to 200 dollars to have repaired from a third party vendor. Do not even bother contacting HP as the warranty period for the repairs on those models and particular issue has expired. The fix lasts for a various amount of time, sometimes forever, sometimes a few weeks, it really is hit or miss. I have repaired several with the same issue, and most often the repair lasts for a very long time, I have had a couple where the chip was just too far gone and the repair didn't take.

http://itsyourpc.org

Microsoft blew its right foot off with Windows 8.
They went to the doctor to get it reattached with Windows 8.1 only to wake up to find out that a second left foot was attached in place.

#6 numerounoyankeefan

numerounoyankeefan

• Members
  • 170 posts

Posted 05 June 2011 - 11:32 AM

It is indeed a problem with the video chip. It is a well known issue and will cost you anywhere from 100 to 200 dollars to have repaired from a third party vendor. Do not even bother contacting HP as the warranty period for the repairs on those models and particular issue has expired.

The fix lasts for a various amount of time, sometimes forever, sometimes a few weeks, it really is hit or miss.

I have repaired several with the same issue, and most often the repair lasts for a very long time, I have had a couple where the chip was just too far gone and the repair didn't take.

sorry to hijack, but bruce....do you have a link to some good instructions for the repair?

i almost picked up a very inexpensive dv9000 "for parts" that i believe had that specific problem, and i passed on it. do you think would it be a worth while investment for say $40-$50?? i am pretty capable of most repairs, as you probably know. ;) ....or is it simply not worth the effort i will have to put into it?

Edited by numerounoyankeefan, 05 June 2011 - 11:33 AM.

#7 Bruce

Bruce

Geezer

• Grand Poobah
  • 42,521 posts

Posted 05 June 2011 - 03:12 PM

It would be worth picking up for 40 or 50 bucks. I have the copper you would need to make the shims the repair entails. If you search youtube videos you will find hundreds of videos that show how it is done. http://www.google.co...iw=1680&bih=901 Find one that uses copper shims after the oven treatment is done. Basically it goes like this. The whole laptop has to be disassembled. The motherboard removed, and anything removable taken off the mother board. roll up some small balls of tin foil. to evenly support the motherboard. Preheat over to 385 Put the tin foil balls on a heated pan, put the motherboard on the pan. Leave it in the oven for approximately 10 minutes. You will then use copper shims in place of the bogus blue foam pad that was between the heat pipes and the GPU. Re-assemble everything. Try it out. http://www.google.co...iw=1680&bih=901

http://itsyourpc.org

Microsoft blew its right foot off with Windows 8.
They went to the doctor to get it reattached with Windows 8.1 only to wake up to find out that a second left foot was attached in place.

#8 numerounoyankeefan

numerounoyankeefan

• Members
  • 170 posts

Posted 05 June 2011 - 04:39 PM

thanks bruce....i was afraid it would involve "baking" it. but 'ya know....if its still available, i just may give it a shot. i am always up for a good challenge. :) thanks pal

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users