Why Can't I Download Software On Windows 7

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 madasahatter

madasahatter

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 12 March 2011 - 02:45 PM

I have a new computer with Windows 7 installed. This computer also came with Windows Security Essentials installed. I have had the comp. for three months now and have never been able to download software. I have had to resort to downloading it onto a flash drive connected to my old XP comp. and then tranferring it manually to the new comp. Obviously this is a real bind and I would be grateful if anyone could enlighten me as to a possible cause. I wondered if it could be the settings in Windows Security essentials program which are all set to default at present. I'm a bit nervous at changing these without getting some info about 'howto'. Can anybody help please?

#2 Jacee

Jacee

Madam Admin <aka> Maude

• Admins
  • 27,858 posts

Posted 12 March 2011 - 02:46 PM

What firewall are you using?

MS - MVP Consumer Security 2006 thru 2014

#3 madasahatter7

madasahatter7

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 06:48 PM

What firewall are you using?

Im using Windows firewall. I use F-Secure internet security on my other windows XP computers. Should I get rid of 'Microsoft Security Essentials' and use F-secure instead which has it's own firewall?

#4 rgsmile

rgsmile

rgsmile

• Advanced Member
  • 1,507 posts

Posted 15 March 2011 - 08:05 PM

If you have a new pc, have you contacted the mfg's support people? What make is your PC? With Compaq, or HP, you can click/start/help and support/support assistant and run a performance test. Do you have the Win7 install disk to do a full re-install? Or, you could un-install Microsoft Security Essentials and and after rebooting, re-install it. I have Win7/Microsoft Security Essentials/Windows Firewall and have no problems. There are experts at this site. I'm not one of them, but just able to just give a few tips.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users