Photo

How To Install Operating System On New Harddrive?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Blackredgold1964

Blackredgold1964

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 05 February 2011 - 07:22 PM

Good Evening,

Is there some guidance around how to change a Hard Drive, and reinstall the Operating Sysem since my existing one seems to be broken?

Secondly, I have an external HD too, and I wondered if I could install the Operationn System on it and run everything from there?

Some background:
I was experiencing Blue Screen errors with a Dell Desktop. I have reimaged (Win XP SP3)

From my previous topics, similar problem with a laptop, I took the suggestion to run the Western Digital data lifeguard diagnostic

http://support.wdc.c...4&sid=3&lang=en
the DLGDIAG Extendend Test ran and said "Test Result:FAILTest Error Code:
08-Error was detected while repairing bad sectors."

The short test says:

"FAIL
Test Error Code:06-Quick Test on drive 1 did not complete! Status code = 07 (Failed read test element), Failure Checkpoint = 03 (Unknown Test) SMART self-test did not complete on drive 1!"

So I assume that means that the drive needs replacing unless someone can suggest anything different.
But how does this work? Can I just buy a new HD, open the PC, stick it in, and insert the Win XP SP2 disk I still have? I've backed up all data.
I noticed numerous problems mentioned in this post: http://forums.pcpits...new-hd-install/ and if it's that complicated then I might bring it to a shop or get a new PC.

Any recommendation how to install a new disk would be welcome.

Thanking you in advance

Blackreadgold1964

#2 TomGL2

TomGL2

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • 3,078 posts

Posted 06 February 2011 - 04:00 AM

I have an external HD too, and I wondered if I could install the Operationn System on it and run everything from there?

From my previous topics, similar problem with a laptop, I took the suggestion to run the Western Digital data lifeguard diagnostic

Installation of Windows XP on an external drive is not supported.

Regarding Data Lifeguard, most of its test results are valid for Western Digital drives only. If some other brand is installed, use the hard disk maker's diagnostic utilities.

Regarding installing on a new hard disk, if it's the SATA variety, you may need to obtain the SATA drivers and copy them to a floppy drive, then install them during the XP CD boot sequence. See the following URL for more information.

support.microsoft.com/kb/314859

If you don't have access to a floppy drive, it's possible to integrate the SATA driver into an XP CD that you create using NLite (a free utility).

If it's an IDE (PATA) hard disk, or a SATA disk with the BIOS configured for "IDE emulation", you can connect the new drive in place of the old, boot from the XP CD, and simply start installation. The necessary partitioning and formatting tasks are included in the process.

One caveat is that, if you permit it, Setup will automatically configure the hard disk as a single drive consuming the entire disk capacity, which is a very poor practice. A primary partition no larger than 30 GB is usually more than enough for Windows; drives sized one-fifth of that are not uncommon. Consider manually creating a primary partition with a capacity suitable for Windows, and an extended partition for the rest of the space.

#3 Blackredgold1964

Blackredgold1964

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 06 February 2011 - 06:35 AM

Thanks, TomGL, to clarify first of all that I cannot use my External Drive for the OS.

My c: drive is Maxtor 6Y160M0 and I went to the Maxtor (now Seagate) website to find further checks for my particular drive but could not find anything.
I ran the PC Pitstops tests again here http://www.pcpitstop...?conid=24174793, and added this to the TechLink in My Profile.

I ran the HD checks via my DELL Support Centre and ran the SMART EXTENDEND SELF TEST and that finished with some error and the recoomentdation to look in the "Search Help and Support Centre". Would there be any other way to test the health of my drive with a more meaningful result and recommendations?

If it turns out the drive is broken, then how could I identify which drive I have got? You wrote "If it's an IDE (PATA) hard disk, or a SATA disk with the BIOS configured for "IDE emulation", you can connect the new drive in place of the old, boot from the XP CD, and simply start installation. The necessary partitioning and formatting tasks are included in the process."

That would be the easiest for me I suppose, I would just have to include the partitioning. I vaguely remember that I saw in one aof the numersous tests that I ran that its an "IDE DMA" drive but I am not sure.

Any info again would be welcome.
Regards
Blackradgold1964

#4 TomGL2

TomGL2

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • 3,078 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 09:49 PM

Sorry for the delay.

The Maxtor 6Y160M0 is a SATA hard disk.  Seagate's SeaTools is the diagnostic utility for both Maxtor and Seagate disks.

www.seagate.com/support/seatools

I suggest using the SeaTools on floppy disk (version 2.20), but a version that installs and runs under Windows is also available.  Use whichever you prefer.  For the DOS version, run the program to create a boot a floppy containing the utility.

SeaTools v2.20 (DOS floppy)
www.seagate.com/staticfiles/support/seatools/SeaToolsDOS220EURO-DC.exe

SeaTools for Windows
www.seagate.com/staticfiles/support/seatools/SeaToolsforWindowsSetup-1204.exe

—————————————————————————

Regarding hard disk replacement, you'll most likely opt for another SATA drive.  The odds of a successful install are higher if you use an XP CD with Service Pack 3 integrated, since it would be more likely to include the required SATA drivers. If you're using an XP CD that shipped with the system, the drivers ought to be included.

My guess is that the BIOS is already be configured for IDE emulation (that is, ACHI is disabled), making SATA drivers unnecessary, but you should check whether that's actually the case.

Anticipating that no compatible SATA drivers are included, advance preparation of a floppy for an F6 driver install should be done.  Use the following steps.

Download the AHCI/RAID software to C:\ (the C drive's root directory).

downloadmirror.intel.com/10609/eng/iata57_enu.exe

Click Start and Run, type the following command and click OK to extract the files, then Yes to confirm. (Don't add a space between -P and C.)

C:\iata57_enu.exe -A -A -PC:\iata57_enu

Open the C:\iata57_enu\Driver folder, and copy these files to a floppy disk.

iaAhci.inf, iaAhci.cat, iaStor.inf, iaStor.cat, iaStor.sys, TxtSetup.oem

One more thing.  I'm unable to determine exactly which SATA controller is onboard, so please verify the component.  To do this, click Start and Run, type DEVMGMT.MSC and click OK to open the Device Manager.  Expand the IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers category.  What is the complete name of the SATA controller?

Double-click the controller and click the Details tab.  Click the device ID (which starts with "PCI\VEN_8086"), then press Control+C to copy the line.  Paste the information into your reply.

After beginning XP installation, if Setup reports that it does not detect any hard disks, insert the driver floppy, then exit and reboot from the CD.  When prompted to press F6 for SCSI or RAID drive installation, do so (nothing visible will happen).

When the "specify additional SCSI adapters..." screen appears, press S.  Select the appropriate SATA controller and press Enter.  Press Enter to continue installation.

Edited by TomGL2, 07 February 2011 - 09:57 PM.

#5 Blackredgold1964

Blackredgold1964

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 11 February 2011 - 04:59 PM

Hi TomGL2,
Thank you very much for this detailed response.

I wil check the SeaTools test soon.

If it's broken I'll do the comprehensive replacement only in March, when I've got time.

But to be prepared it might be best to clarify. You asked
"Regarding hard disk replacement, you'll most likely opt for another SATA drive. The odds of a successful install are higher if you use an XP CD with Service Pack 3 integrated, since it would be more likely to include the required SATA drivers. If you're using an XP CD that shipped with the system, the drivers ought to be included.

My guess is that the BIOS is already be configured for IDE emulation (that is, ACHI is disabled), making SATA drivers unnecessary, but you should check whether that's actually the case."

How would I check if the BIOS is already configured for IDE emulation??

And you asked about the controllers. Two controllers are mentioned there
1. Intelョ 82801FB Ultra ATA Storage Controllers - 2651
Details: PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2651&SUBSYS_01991028&REV_03\3&172E68DD&0&FA

2. Intelョ 82801FB/FBM Ultra ATA Storage Controllers - 266F
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2651&SUBSYS_01991028&REV_03\3&172E68DD&0&FA

So if you would be able to give some answers that would be great, otherwise thanks again and I might contact you again in March when I do the work.

Regards
Blackredgold1964.

Sorry for the delay.

The Maxtor 6Y160M0 is a SATA hard disk. Seagate's SeaTools is the diagnostic utility for both Maxtor and Seagate disks.

www.seagate.com/support/seatools

I suggest using the SeaTools on floppy disk (version 2.20), but a version that installs and runs under Windows is also available. Use whichever you prefer. For the DOS version, run the program to create a boot a floppy containing the utility.

SeaTools v2.20 (DOS floppy)
www.seagate.com/staticfiles/support/seatools/SeaToolsDOS220EURO-DC.exe

SeaTools for Windows
www.seagate.com/staticfiles/support/seatools/SeaToolsforWindowsSetup-1204.exe

覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧

Regarding hard disk replacement, you'll most likely opt for another SATA drive. The odds of a successful install are higher if you use an XP CD with Service Pack 3 integrated, since it would be more likely to include the required SATA drivers. If you're using an XP CD that shipped with the system, the drivers ought to be included.

My guess is that the BIOS is already be configured for IDE emulation (that is, ACHI is disabled), making SATA drivers unnecessary, but you should check whether that's actually the case.

覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧

Anticipating that no compatible SATA drivers are included, advance preparation of a floppy for an F6 driver install should be done. Use the following steps.

Download the AHCI/RAID software to C:\ (the C drive's root directory).

downloadmirror.intel.com/10609/eng/iata57_enu.exe

Click Start and Run, type the following command and click OK to extract the files, then Yes to confirm. (Don't add a space between -P and C.)

C:\iata57_enu.exe -A -A -PC:\iata57_enu

Open the C:\iata57_enu\Driver folder, and copy these files to a floppy disk.

iaAhci.inf, iaAhci.cat, iaStor.inf, iaStor.cat, iaStor.sys, TxtSetup.oem

One more thing. I'm unable to determine exactly which SATA controller is onboard, so please verify the component. To do this, click Start and Run, type DEVMGMT.MSC and click OK to open the Device Manager. Expand the IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers category. What is the complete name of the SATA controller?

Double-click the controller and click the Details tab. Click the device ID (which starts with "PCI\VEN_8086"), then press Control+C to copy the line. Paste the information into your reply.

覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧覧

After beginning XP installation, if Setup reports that it does not detect any hard disks, insert the driver floppy, then exit and reboot from the CD. When prompted to press F6 for SCSI or RAID drive installation, do so (nothing visible will happen).

When the "specify additional SCSI adapters..." screen appears, press S. Select the appropriate SATA controller and press Enter. Press Enter to continue installation.

#6 TomGL2

TomGL2

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • 3,078 posts

Posted 12 February 2011 - 01:01 AM

Given the controller desciptions "82801FB Ultra ATA" and "82801FBM Ultra ATA", it seems clear that IDE emulation is enabled — possibly there is no other option for the 82801FB — so XP installation should be straightforward.  Immediately after installation completes, install the INF update, to allow Windows to identify and configure the onboard hardware.

downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?DwnldID=19596

The 82801FBM, however, is a full-blown SATA AHCI controller. While connecting the new hard disk to a port on one of these controllers (and enabling AHCI in BIOS) would necessitate the extra F6 driver installation step to allow XP to install, there would be noticeable performance benefits.  It's easily done and nearly foolproof, so you should consider this option.

As I don't know the Dell model you have, or which motherboard, I can't describe the route through the menus to the SATA settings.  But I'm sure just a few minutes of exploring the menus and submenus will find them.

Edited by TomGL2, 12 February 2011 - 08:55 AM.

#7 Blackredgold1964

Blackredgold1964

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 12 February 2011 - 04:31 AM

Excellent, thanks, and I now ran the Sea Tools for Windows and all tests failed (Short DST, Long DST, Long generic). I suppose that's the end then for this particular drive, unless you have other suggestions on how to make it work reliably again. Currently it often sounds like a hoover and is slow.

I mailed to the Seagate support but the drive is no longer listed on the options on offer and at almost 10 years of age I doubt I'll get support there.

As mentioned before I might do the HD change later, in March or so.

Regards
Blackredgold1964

Given the controller desciptions "82801FB Ultra ATA" and "82801FBM Ultra ATA", it seems clear that IDE emulation is enabled possibly there is no other option for the 82801FB so XP installation should be straightforward. Immediately after installation completes, install the INF update, to allow Windows to identify and configure the onboard hardware.

downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?DwnldID=19596

The 82801FBM, however, is a full-blown SATA AHCI controller. While connecting the new hard disk to a port on one of these controllers (and enabling AHCI in BIOS) would necessitate the extra F6 driver installation step to allow XP to install, there would be noticeable performance benefits. It's easily done and nearly foolproof, so you should consider this option.

As I don't know the Dell model you have, or which motherboard, I can't describe the route through the menus to the SATA settings. But I sure just a few minutes of exploring the menus and submenus will find them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users