Pc Matic Rt And Antivirus

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 nrostgaard

nrostgaard

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 02:59 PM

I just updated the PC Matic RT, and now I got an error message asking me to uninstall my AVG antivirus. "The following software is incompatible with PCMAticRT: AVG 2011 This software must be uninstalled for PCMaticRT to run properly." What is that about and why on earth would I want to do that? Is that realy what you call security to ask me to do that? /Nikolaj

#2 IntelGuy

IntelGuy

Yeah, it's pretty, but can it go fast?

• Admins
  • 20,260 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 03:08 PM

Most competing security products provide a 'Real Time' agent running in the background. PC Matic RT is also a real-time agent and is monitoring every application that attempts to open on the computer. Running two real time agents can be a source of conflicts, causing the computer to run slowly as well as exhibit strange behaviors. You should choose only one real-time agent to use and uninstall any others. Uninstalling PC Matic RT and going with AVG is fine, but you are choosing old technology over the latest weapon in PC security. Most competing security products, such as AVG, provide protection through a 'suite' of applications, which basically means that there are numerous running processes to provide protection for the web browser, email client, phishing attacks, viruses, etc. Each item on the computer that is protected uses a process specific to that item. PC Matic provides a comprehensive malware scan and removal process as well as providing PC Matic RT, which prevents suspicious items from executing on the computer in the first place. It does not matter if the item comes as an email attachment, a link embedded in a web page, a drive-by download, etc, PC Matic RT will prevent the malware from being able to execute on the computer without the user's specific permission. There are more details about PC Matic Real Time here: What is PC Matic RT? PC Matic real-time protection is running constantly on a computer, once installed. It looks and warns about any file that the user tries to run, that looks to be malware. In fact, once installed, this software is keeping track of everything that is being run on the computer. What is the user experience? Unlike PC Matic, there is not much in the way of pretty pictures, or gas gauges flicking on your screen, telling you what they are doing, and where they are in the process of scanning your entire computer. This software runs as a tray application, on the right side of your tray. It sits there very quietly, for the most part, watching each program you run, and waiting to warn you should it consider something you try to run is malware. In fact, if you don't try to run something that is malware, you will never even know it's running. However, if you do, it might be nice to be warned, and that's what this does. If it comes upon a program it thinks is malware, it will warn you, and ask you what you would like to do about it. You have the option, of letting it run, blocking it, always blocking it, or always allowing it, or of course, you can quarantine away so it will cause no further problems. What does it install and what's going on? Currently, this likely looks like it is doing very little. The reality is, it is actually installing both a windows service (much like our scheduler) along with a tray application, and runs constantly, on your computer, looking and deciding on each program you run. By default, this will start running, and turn on from the time you install it. It does that for every user configured on the computer (up to 5) It is, however, quite unobtrusive, and just sits there trying to protect you from whatever those malware writers out there are trying to get you to stumble into.

... avoid foolish controversies and ... strife and disputes ..., for they are unprofitable and worthless. Titus 3:9 NASB

#3 nrostgaard

nrostgaard

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 03:19 PM

Well, I have a home network with a server for mediafiles. Lately it was infected with virus. My resently updated AVG ("old technology") detected and removed the virus from my home server - PCMatic RT didn't respond to the thread. Guess I'll stick to my "old technology" 2011 version of AVG and uninstall PCMatic RT then. By the way, about RT: Where are the options? Is it antivirus or just malware it detects? Whay are there no product info about it anywhere? I remember one day it suddenly installed - in the beginning I actually thouigt it was malware itself. We need info about RT if we are to use it, please...

#4 IntelGuy

IntelGuy

• Admins
  • 20,260 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 03:51 PM

PC Matic RT provides real time protection. For scan, detect, and remove, PC Matic itself provides that service. The term malware is all-inclusive and includes viruses. You can right-click on the green gear icon in the lower right by the clock to access the options menu, but there really are no options until RT pops an alert, other than to have it run or not. There are more details about PC Matic Real Time here: What is PC Matic RT? PC Matic real-time protection is running constantly on a computer, once installed. It looks and warns about any file that the user tries to run, that looks to be malware. In fact, once installed, this software is keeping track of everything that is being run on the computer. What is the user experience? Unlike PC Matic, there is not much in the way of pretty pictures, or gas gauges flicking on your screen, telling you what they are doing, and where they are in the process of scanning your entire computer. This software runs as a tray application, on the right side of your tray. It sits there very quietly, for the most part, watching each program you run, and waiting to warn you should it consider something you try to run is malware. In fact, if you don't try to run something that is malware, you will never even know it's running. However, if you do, it might be nice to be warned, and that's what this does. If it comes upon a program it thinks is malware, it will warn you, and ask you what you would like to do about it. You have the option, of letting it run, blocking it, always blocking it, or always allowing it, or of course, you can quarantine away so it will cause no further problems. What does it install and what's going on? Currently, this likely looks like it is doing very little. The reality is, it is actually installing both a windows service (much like our scheduler) along with a tray application, and runs constantly, on your computer, looking and deciding on each program you run. By default, this will start running, and turn on from the time you install it. It does that for every user configured on the computer (up to 5) It is, however, quite unobtrusive, and just sits there trying to protect you from whatever those malware writers out there are trying to get you to stumble into.

... avoid foolish controversies and ... strife and disputes ..., for they are unprofitable and worthless. Titus 3:9 NASB

#5 DavidStephenson

DavidStephenson

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 03 February 2011 - 12:20 AM

Hello, I am getting the same error message and wonder why I would want to remove AVG which is a multi-tool application which scans my computer for malware and virus' as well as running a real-time scanner. AVG has never caused me any problems and has found junk that other scanner including PCMatic have not detected. Please let me know why I should install this new tool and take off my AVG applications... thanks

#6 IntelGuy

IntelGuy

• Admins
  • 20,260 posts

Posted 03 February 2011 - 02:15 AM

:wp: You are seeing that warning message because it appears that the computer has multiple security products installed. Most competing security products provide a 'Real Time' agent running in the background. PC Matic RT is also a real-time agent and is monitoring every application that attempts to open on the computer. Running two real time agents can be a source of conflicts, causing the computer to run slowly as well as exhibit strange behaviors. You should choose only one real-time agent to use and uninstall any others. If you prefer your existing security suite, to uninstall PC Matic RT and end the messages, open PC Matic and click on Options>Add-Ons and under the Manage Active Malware Protection click on the red "Uninstall" button to uninstall the RT component and end the message. Most competing security products provide protection through a 'suite' of applications, which basically means that there are numerous running processes to provide protection for the web browser, email client, phishing attacks, viruses, etc. Each item on the computer that is protected uses a process specific to that item. PC Matic provides a comprehensive malware scan and removal process as well as providing PC Matic RT, which prevents suspicious items from executing on the computer in the first place. It does not matter if the item comes as an email attachment, a link embedded in a web page, a drive-by download, etc, PC Matic RT will prevent the malware from being able to execute on the computer without the user's specific permission. There is nothing different about the latest version other than the definitions update and the new message. If you have not had a conflict before you will not have one with the new version. However, it is always a bad idea to run two real time agents on a computer.

#7 dubyadd

dubyadd

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 03 February 2011 - 05:44 AM

I have had PC matic and RT on my 2 Vista and 2 XP PC's for 5 months and am very pleased. All my PC's are running faster than before. However to day I install an update and then get a message than PCMatic RT is NOT compatible with Lavasofts ADAWARE malware detector, which I have had on all my PCs since i bought them, the oldest being 4 years ago. So I uninstalled the ADAWARE program. Then I receive another window that says PCMatic RT is not compatible with AVG 2011. What is going on here. Why after 5 months am I just now being notified? Why was this information not made available until long after I PAID for PCmatic. AVG has been on all my PC's for years and I have never had any virus infection that was not identified and cured! AVG and ADAWARE are both rated at the top of the charts by download- CNET. Since my PCMatic is a paid service I would like to assume it is the better product, but I am having trouble believing this based on my personal experience with the other two.! Why has there been a 5 month delay in ID'ing these incapatabilties. And more importantly will they reimburse me for a new PC or operating system if PCMatic RT fails to discover or is 5 months late in discovering a virus or malware that destroys my system? Your statement "There is nothing different about the latest version other than the definitions update and the new message. If you have not had a conflict before you will not have one with the new version" by definition must be incorrect as I did not have a conflict before but now after updateing to the new version I do have a conflict. Someone is either not being honest here , or the update to the new version was problematic, or they just don't know or have the correct information to provide the us the PCMatic users! Which is it??? By the way in addition to what I already mentioned I also have Advanced System Care AND IObitSecurity 360 installed on all my PC's. They all seem to have gotten along just fine until this latest update of PC Matic. According to the "PC EXPERTS" that I have read, there is no "one" program that will pick up all the malware that is out there,So on the theory that MORE is BETTER, all 5 run peacefully and in harmony on my PC's.. I hope you guys at PCMatic work this out, because at renewal time, I am not confident I would find in your favor of continuing your product.if you do not.

#8 IntelGuy

IntelGuy

• Admins
  • 20,260 posts

Posted 03 February 2011 - 12:17 PM

:wp: More is not better when it comes to real time agents, and that is a fact. Here are a few articles on the subject: http://social.answer...24-339811ae7aca http://ask-leo.com/c...l_should_i.html http://ask-leo.com/h...us_program.html PC Matic RT is a real time agent only, and in our opinion it is the best one on the market. RT does not do scan and remove, that function is left to the PC Matic malware scan. The only thing that RT does (which is quite a 'big' thing in reality) is to monitor every application that wants to run on the computer and open a warning prompt for any suspicious program that is trying to execute. The fact that you have not had a conflict running the two programs together does not mean that the potential for problems does not exist or that other users have not had issues running the two programs together. If you prefer your existing security suite, to uninstall PC Matic RT and end the messages, open PC Matic and click on Options>Add-Ons and under the Manage Active Malware Protection click on the red "Uninstall" button to uninstall the RT component and end the message.

#9 dencroft

dencroft

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 03 February 2011 - 03:54 PM

I have just bought and installed PCMatic. I am now getting the message about conflict with AVG 11. I have successfully used earlier versions of AVG for a number of years. I have just run a complete scan and cleanup of my computer and it has taken over 48 hours to do the "CleanUp2. Now it's just told me it has encountered a problem and has to close!! Please, where do I go from here? Thanks.

#10 IntelGuy

IntelGuy

• Admins
  • 20,260 posts

Posted 03 February 2011 - 08:14 PM

:wp: A crash during the Fix All process would not be related to any potential conflicts with the RT component. Please open a ticket at our help desk so that we can get some more information. You can open a ticket from here: http://www.pcpitstop...ore/service.asp

#11 ShannonHinze

ShannonHinze

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 04 February 2011 - 10:52 PM

I have received the same "incompatible" message with AVG2011. I have uninstalled AVG and removed any traces of AVG that I can find, but I still get the pop-up message. I assume there is some trace in the registry. Is there any advice on completely eliminating AVG?

#12 IntelGuy

IntelGuy

• Admins
  • 20,260 posts

Posted 05 February 2011 - 01:05 AM

:wp: You may need to reinstall AVG then use the free Revo unintaller to remove it: http://download.cnet...4-10687648.html Also, you may want to check in your Add/Remove programs that there is not also an older version still installed.

#13 imaav8or

imaav8or

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 12 February 2011 - 05:49 PM

I have had PC matic and RT on my 2 Vista and 2 XP PC's for 5 months and am very pleased. All my PC's are running faster than before. However to day I install an update and then get a message than PCMatic RT is NOT compatible with Lavasofts ADAWARE malware detector, which I have had on all my PCs since i bought them, the oldest being 4 years ago. So I uninstalled the ADAWARE program. Then I receive another window that says PCMatic RT is not compatible with AVG 2011. What is going on here. Why after 5 months am I just now being notified? Why was this information not made available until long after I PAID for PCmatic. AVG has been on all my PC's for years and I have never had any virus infection that was not identified and cured! AVG and ADAWARE are both rated at the top of the charts by download- CNET. Since my PCMatic is a paid service I would like to assume it is the better product, but I am having trouble believing this based on my personal experience with the other two.! Why has there been a 5 month delay in ID'ing these incapatabilties. And more importantly will they reimburse me for a new PC or operating system if PCMatic RT fails to discover or is 5 months late in discovering a virus or malware that destroys my system? Your statement "There is nothing different about the latest version other than the definitions update and the new message. If you have not had a conflict before you will not have one with the new version" by definition must be incorrect as I did not have a conflict before but now after updateing to the new version I do have a conflict. Someone is either not being honest here , or the update to the new version was problematic, or they just don't know or have the correct information to provide the us the PCMatic users! Which is it??? By the way in addition to what I already mentioned I also have Advanced System Care AND IObitSecurity 360 installed on all my PC's. They all seem to have gotten along just fine until this latest update of PC Matic. According to the "PC EXPERTS" that I have read, there is no "one" program that will pick up all the malware that is out there,So on the theory that MORE is BETTER, all 5 run peacefully and in harmony on my PC's.. I hope you guys at PCMatic work this out, because at renewal time, I am not confident I would find in your favor of continuing your product.if you do not.

I am getting the same message about AdAware being incompatible with PC Matic. I've had ADAware installed for years and for the entire time I've had PC Matic, but only the last few weeks have I received this incompatibility message.
What is the problem? Why can't it be compatible with ADAware? How do I resolve this without uninstalling either program? Right now, PC Matic won't even load.

#14 IntelGuy

IntelGuy

• Admins
  • 20,260 posts

Posted 12 February 2011 - 07:34 PM

You are seeing that warning message because the computer has multiple security products installed. Most competing security products provide a 'Real Time' agent running in the background. PC Matic RT is also a real-time agent and is monitoring every application that attempts to open on the computer. Running two real time agents can be a source of conflicts, causing the computer to run slowly as well as exhibit strange behaviors. You should choose only one real-time agent to use and uninstall any others. If you prefer your existing security suite, to uninstall PC Matic RT and end the messages, open PC Matic and click on Options>Add-Ons and under the Manage Active Malware Protection click on the red "Uninstall" button to uninstall the RT component and end the message. Most competing security products provide protection through a 'suite' of applications, which basically means that there are numerous running processes to provide protection for the web browser, email client, phishing attacks, viruses, etc. Each item on the computer that is protected uses a process specific to that item. PC Matic provides a comprehensive malware scan and removal process as well as providing PC Matic RT, which prevents suspicious items from executing on the computer in the first place. It does not matter if the item comes as an email attachment, a link embedded in a web page, a drive-by download, etc, PC Matic RT will prevent the malware from being able to execute on the computer without the user's specific permission. There is nothing different about the latest version other than the definitions update and the new message. If you have not had a conflict before you will not have one with the new version. However, it is always a bad idea to run two real time agents on a computer.

#15 imaav8or

imaav8or

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 12:14 AM

You suggested:
If you prefer your existing security suite, to uninstall PC Matic RT and end the messages, open PC Matic and click on Options>Add-Ons and under the Manage Active Malware Protection click on the red "Uninstall" button to uninstall the RT component and end the message.

I tried that and it won't uninstall. Says some unins0000.dat file can't be found and gives me an error message. Now I can't even open PC Matic.

#16 IntelGuy

IntelGuy

• Admins
  • 20,260 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 02:55 PM

If you are getting a message that the "unins0000.dat file can't be found", it was most likely removed by a competing security product that identified it as a false positive and removed it. Please try this: 1) uninstall PC Matic from the control panel add/remove programs 2) check the installed programs list for an entry called Exterminate3 (this entry does not say PC Pitstop in front of it so it'll appear in the list with the rest of the E's), remove the entry if it's there 3) manually go to c:\program files\pcpitstop and manually delete the PC Matic and Exterminate3 folders to make sure that all parts are removed (if there is no Exterminate3 folder it is OK to proceed) 4) reinstall PC Matic from this link:( http://www.pcpitstop...cmatic&aff=0002 ) or our website

#17 RobertHJohnson

RobertHJohnson

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 06:32 PM

I have received the same "incompatible" message with Mcafee total protection starting to-day Whats happenin????

#18 IntelGuy

IntelGuy

• Admins
  • 20,260 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 12:44 AM

I have received the same "incompatible" message with Mcafee total protection starting to-day Whats happenin????

:wp:

You are seeing that warning message because the computer has multiple security products installed.

Most competing security products provide a 'Real Time' agent running in the background. PC Matic RT is also a real-time agent and is monitoring every application that attempts to open on the computer. Running two real time agents can be a source of conflicts, causing the computer to run slowly as well as exhibit strange behaviors. You should choose only one real-time agent to use and uninstall any others.

If you prefer your existing security suite, to uninstall PC Matic RT and end the messages, open PC Matic and click on Options>Add-Ons and under the Manage Active Malware Protection click on the red "Uninstall" button to uninstall the RT component and end the message.

Most competing security products provide protection through a 'suite' of applications, which basically means that there are numerous running processes to provide protection for the web browser, email client, phishing attacks, viruses, etc. Each item on the computer that is protected uses a process specific to that item. PC Matic provides a comprehensive malware scan and removal process as well as providing PC Matic RT, which prevents suspicious items from executing on the computer in the first place. It does not matter if the item comes as an email attachment, a link embedded in a web page, a drive-by download, etc, PC Matic RT will prevent the malware from being able to execute on the computer without the user's specific permission.

There is nothing different about the latest version other than the definitions update and the new message. If you have not had a conflict before you will not have one with the new version. However, it is always a bad idea to run two real time agents on a computer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users