What Is Nitro?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 clhardingjr

clhardingjr

• Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 20 November 2010 - 09:57 AM

Recently ran PcMatic and it requested that I install NITRO, which is suppossed to make my downloads faster. I can not find any information regarding NITRO on your web site. What are the specifics for this program? I did install the product, but did not see any improvement in download speed. I also did not see any changes being made to increase the internet tweaks. Machine specs are (Intel Core i7/930, DPX58SO, 6Gb ram, 3Mb d/l, 768 u/l).

#2 IntelGuy

IntelGuy

Yeah, it's pretty, but can it go fast?

• Admins
  • 20,123 posts

Posted 20 November 2010 - 11:53 AM

Nitro replaces the default browser download manager: Nitro is a simple to use application that can improve download speeds by as much as 200%* Download music in a fraction of the usual time. Save movies/videos to your hard drive in just seconds. Get important files & applications fast. Simply install Nitro & instantly boost download speeds. Of course Nitro will be limited by servers that simply do not support faster download speeds. It was designed primarily to speed up large file downloads.

... avoid foolish controversies and ... strife and disputes ..., for they are unprofitable and worthless. Titus 3:9 NASB

#3 Tx Redneck

Tx Redneck

Tx Redneck- The Spam Hunter

• Anti-Spyware Brigade
  • 5,283 posts
  • Location:On the straight and narrow,stumbling at best, only by Gods grace.

Posted 20 November 2010 - 02:52 PM

That's a pretty neat download manager.

God will not save you from that which he will perfect you through. Dr Voddie Baucham
If more people would get a divorce from themselves, they might learn how to live happily with someone else.

#4 Tx Redneck

Tx Redneck

Tx Redneck- The Spam Hunter

• Anti-Spyware Brigade
  • 5,283 posts
  • Location:On the straight and narrow,stumbling at best, only by Gods grace.

Posted 21 November 2010 - 09:29 AM

Hey I_G, does Nitro run all the time or only when a browser is open? If all the time, can it be set to Manual startup and still be functional?

God will not save you from that which he will perfect you through. Dr Voddie Baucham
If more people would get a divorce from themselves, they might learn how to live happily with someone else.

#5 clhardingjr

clhardingjr

• Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 21 November 2010 - 01:45 PM

Nitro replaces the default browser download manager:

Nitro is a simple to use application that can improve download speeds by as much as 200%*

Download music in a fraction of the usual time.
Save movies/videos to your hard drive in just seconds.
Get important files & applications fast.
Simply install Nitro & instantly boost download speeds.

Of course Nitro will be limited by servers that simply do not support faster download speeds. It was designed primarily to speed up large file downloads.

Since seeing your reply, I have run several speed tests via dslreports.com and compared them against tests from 6 months ago and I see no difference is the length of time it took to d/l, u/l the files. I have downloaded various large files (1Mb+) from different sites and have noticed no changes in the length of time that it took to d/l those files. Live streaming of audio files have resulted in skips, like scratches in the vinyl records of old, which I did not have prior to installation.

#6 IntelGuy

IntelGuy

• Admins
  • 20,123 posts

Posted 21 November 2010 - 06:27 PM

Nitro is not really designed to help with a 1MB download, which is actually pretty small. Where a difference should show up is in 50-100+ MB downloads. If you are not seeing any improvement then I would recommend you uninstall the Nitro add-on. Open PC Matic and click on Options>Add-ons and there is a button there to uninstall.

... avoid foolish controversies and ... strife and disputes ..., for they are unprofitable and worthless. Titus 3:9 NASB

#7 IntelGuy

IntelGuy

• Admins
  • 20,123 posts

Posted 22 November 2010 - 11:34 AM

Hey I_G, does Nitro run all the time or only when a browser is open? If all the time, can it be set to Manual startup and still be functional?

It runs all of the time (you can see it in the Task Manager) but it is not a service that can be set to automatic or manual. It basically is already 'manual' as it just sits there until a download is called.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users