• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 dragnmastr85

dragnmastr85

Diety

• Anti-Spyware Brigade
  • 1,605 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 01:16 PM

I was working in gparted on a live linux bootable usb. I didnt make any changes that would affect the windows partitions. I was only dealing with the free space and changing extended partitions. I went to reboot into windows and it says "No bootable device -- Insert boot disk and press any key". So I figured I screwed something up so I plug the bootable usb back in to take a look at it. I get the same message. The usb works on other computers. I cannot boot to the disk drive or a usb drive now. I have no idea what couldve happened. Even if I royally screwed over the hard drive, there would be no reason the USB shouldnt boot. The boot order in the bios is fine. And Ive even tried the f12 (select a boot device) option. Nothing works. Its as if my computer hardware doesnt want to see any devices. Never had this issue before. Any suggestions?

#2 dragnmastr85

dragnmastr85

Diety

• Anti-Spyware Brigade
  • 1,605 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 03:42 PM

I just tried flashing the bios with the latest version (same version I had before). It didnt help. Get the same errors.

#3 Joe C

Joe C

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • 18,957 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 03:46 PM

I was working in gparted on a live linux bootable usb. I didnt make any changes that would affect the windows partitions. I was only dealing with the free space and changing extended partitions.

Are you sure that free space and extended partitions were not windows partitions?

#4 dragnmastr85

dragnmastr85

Diety

• Anti-Spyware Brigade
  • 1,605 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 04:11 PM

Are you sure that free space and extended partitions were not windows partitions?

I cant remember all what I did in qparted. The free space I was working with was part of a windows extended partition that had one windows volume and some free space. With that free space I was going to prepare volumes to install linux. I went to reboot so I could check something in windows, then nothing was bootable. When I try to boot it skips over the USB bootable drive and the HDD and tries to boot from LAN, which is the last item in boot order. After it fails to boot into lan (since there isnt a lan) the computer tells me I have to connect a boot device.

#5 Joe C

Joe C

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • 18,957 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 05:14 PM

It's possible that part of your drive had your boot sector. You can try to fix the MBR ( Master Boot Record ) and see if that helps
http://helpdeskgeek....x-mbr-xp-vista/

a repair install is also an option if you have an XP disk

Edited by Joe C, 19 August 2010 - 05:15 PM.

#6 dragnmastr85

dragnmastr85

Diety

• Anti-Spyware Brigade
  • 1,605 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 07:18 PM

It's possible that part of your drive had your boot sector. You can try to fix the MBR ( Master Boot Record ) and see if that helps
http://helpdeskgeek....x-mbr-xp-vista/

a repair install is also an option if you have an XP disk

This isnt an issue with the HDD. It wont boot using any USB drives or anything now. Note that I mentioned I was originally working in a live linux environment. It wont boot into any bootable device. The solution you have provided requires me to boot from a repair disk. I cant boot into any bootable removable media. Thanks for your help so far :)

Edit: UPDATE! I was able to boot into my memtest usb drive! Not sure why that works but the Linux USB and HDD arent. I will continue troubleshooting.

Edit2: And now I come to find the linux usb drive is not working on other computers as well. So all in one instant, my usb drive failed and my MBR got screwed up somehow. I will make another linux usb and see if it works. I will use the same flash drive as the one that had memtest on it.

Edited by dragnmastr85, 19 August 2010 - 07:34 PM.

#7 Joe C

Joe C

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • 18,957 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 07:28 PM

This isnt an issue with the HDD. It wont boot using any USB drives or anything now. Note that I mentioned I was originally working in a live linux environment. It wont boot into any bootable device. The solution you have provided requires me to boot from a repair disk. I cant boot into any bootable removable media. Thanks for your help so far :)

You will need to look into the boot options in the bios to check the boot order, Removing the cmos battery from the motherboard, will often reset the bios. You will need to reset the date/time if you do this'
If you leave a usb device that will not boot and if the bios is set up to look for a usb device first before the hard drive, you will see a boot failure error. Be sure all usb devices are disconnected, including any printers

Edited by Joe C, 19 August 2010 - 07:32 PM.

#8 dragnmastr85

dragnmastr85

Diety

• Anti-Spyware Brigade
  • 1,605 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 07:43 PM

You will need to look into the boot options in the bios to check the boot order, Removing the cmos battery from the motherboard, will often reset the bios. You will need to reset the date/time if you do this'
If you leave a usb device that will not boot and if the bios is set up to look for a usb device first before the hard drive, you will see a boot failure error. Be sure all usb devices are disconnected, including any printers

Sorry I thought I mentioned I have already checked the boot order. This is a netbook so getting to the cmos battery will not happen :P Flashing the bios would have had the same effect, however, and that didnt help. The only USB devices I have been using are bootable ones.

Update: the new linux live usb drive works! So I guess it was just the MBR getting screwed somehow and the usb drive going at the same time. Very strange. I will try to recover the MBR through linux. Ill post back.

Update: I installed linux where I intended to in the first place and grub fixed the MBR on its own. Sorry for doubting you. The symptoms I had pointed to no bootable devices working. But it turned out to just be a flash drive and the MBR going to :filtered: at once. Thanks!

Edited by dragnmastr85, 19 August 2010 - 10:48 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users