• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 bob3160

bob3160

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • 788 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 06:49 AM

Customize The Start Menu's Power Boot Option In Windows 7 so that it will start your way:

Posted Image
1. Right click the Start button.
2. Click Properties.
3. Set the Power boot action to Restart.
4. Click OK.

On my system, the default is now set to Restart.
You should choose the function you use most often. :)

(Slightly enhanced from a post in Windows Fanatics.)

Edited by bob3160, 07 July 2010 - 06:53 AM.

#2 TerryAustin

TerryAustin

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 03:59 PM

At first thought, I was thinking re-start would be a good idea too. Because usually the only time I use the power button is if I'm having a boot issue and 9 out of 10 times I really want to restart. But... that 1 time I can't boot into the operating system, and I don't have the time or resources to boot into a cd or recovery console, and just want to shut down until a better time... well if it is set to reboot each time... see where I'm going... ? Other than pulling the plug... your stuck in a loop.

#3 bob3160

bob3160

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • 788 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 08:22 PM

At first thought, I was thinking re-start would be a good idea too. Because usually the only time I use the power button is if I'm having a boot issue and 9 out of 10 times I really want to restart. But... that 1 time I can't boot into the operating system, and I don't have the time or resources to boot into a cd or recovery console, and just want to shut down until a better time... well if it is set to reboot each time... see where I'm going... ? Other than pulling the plug... your stuck in a loop.

No your not stuck. This doesn't change the ability to choose a different option, it only changes the default option. If you wanted to shut down, you'll have to select it from the pull down menu. :)

#4 TerryAustin

TerryAustin

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 07:58 AM

But, what I was trying to say, if you can't boot into Windows to change that option, then your only recourse is to pull the plug.

or am I being a dummy and missing something here?

#5 nigsy

nigsy

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 3,491 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 03:36 AM

Good point Terry, I guess you mean from the bios screen or the extended start menu. Would pushing the power button here cause the PC to shut down or restart? Does changing the power settings only take effect once the OS has loaded? It's a good tip though; I am changing mine so I will report back...... This only affects the behaviour of the "Shut Down" GUI in the start menu -- Not the actual power button on the tower, those options are burried in Power settings. So has no effect if you can't boot into the OS :tup: Confused there for a second :blushing:

Edited by nigsy, 22 July 2010 - 03:42 AM.

The South-West Will Rise Again

Mebyon Kernow - Voice Of Cornwall

#6 TerryAustin

TerryAustin

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 09:05 AM

This only affects the behaviour of the "Shut Down" GUI in the start menu -- Not the actual power button on the tower, those options are burried in Power settings. So has no effect if you can't boot into the OS

Ok that all makes sense now, except the part on the Menu Properties that actually says "Power button options".

To me, that sounds like it is talking about the power button on the tower... :surrender:

#7 dave726

dave726

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 16 October 2010 - 08:35 PM

That action is what action a momentary push of the power button. will take. Hold the power button and you will get a power off, desktop or laptop.

#8 Joe C

Joe C

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • 18,957 posts

Posted 16 October 2010 - 08:58 PM

I have mine to shut down and had it like this from day one
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users