My Network Keeps Disconnecting And Reconnecting

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 bbernhardt

bbernhardt

• Members
  • 141 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 03:42 PM

I just recently ventured into the wireless world via a Netgear WGT624 v4 and a Linksys usb wireless adapter. I wanted to have my desktop in the "mancave" but the signal was always weak and most of the time I could not keep connection or connect at all, although only 30' away. This morning I hooked it up inside the house, only about 2' away and getting exellent signal but my Network Magic keeps stating that my local network disconnects and reconnects about 5 seconds later. It keeps doing it over and over again. Not being as computer-savy as you folks are, my questions are: is this a network problem or are my internet connection settings screwy? I am running Vista if that matters and I have not been able to download the updated firmware for my router as of yet, I keep getting a download error (doh!). Any help or advice in this matter would be extremely appreciative! Bobby

#2 bbernhardt

bbernhardt

• Members
  • 141 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 10:19 PM

I just recently ventured into the wireless world via a Netgear WGT624 v4 and a Linksys usb wireless adapter. I wanted to have my desktop in the "mancave" but the signal was always weak and most of the time I could not keep connection or connect at all, although only 30' away.

This morning I hooked it up inside the house, only about 2' away and getting exellent signal but my Network Magic keeps stating that my local network disconnects and reconnects about 5 seconds later. It keeps doing it over and over again.

Not being as computer-savy as you folks are, my questions are: is this a network problem or are my internet connection settings screwy?

I am running Vista if that matters and I have not been able to download the updated firmware for my router as of yet, I keep getting a download error (doh!).

Any help or advice in this matter would be extremely appreciative!

Bobby

Not exactly sure what fixed it but I think it was changing the channel from 11 to 1 and renaming the SSID from its generic setting. I also did a few scans, etc but pretty sure it was the channel change that ultimately did the trick....so far anyways :)

#3 willjackson

willjackson

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 13 June 2010 - 10:51 PM

i think you are having some what intermittent wireless connection, yes try changing the channel and mode on the router and also minimize the interference between your router and computer hopefully that would work.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users