Desktop icons do not open programs

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Magbc

Magbc

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 05 May 2010 - 01:58 PM

Compaq Presario Desktop, P4, 2gb memory I have been having a problem with my programs not opening when I click the icons or the program names (firefox, windows mail etc). Instead of opening as usual now a window opens and asks what program I want to use to open with. Browsers and most programs are easy enough to find but I tried to run System Restore to fix it and the window asks what program it should use to open RSTRUI.EXE. What program do I use to run Restore? Or how do I fix it so the computer knows which program to use by itself? Magbc

#2 TomGL2

TomGL2

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • 3,078 posts

Posted 05 May 2010 - 03:32 PM

I have been having a problem with my programs not opening ... Instead of opening as usual now a window opens and asks what program I want to use to open with

Always mention the version of Windows you're running.

This problem is generally the aftermath of a malware infection.  Paste this text into Notepad.

Set WshShell = WScript.CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
With WScript.CreateObject("WScript.Shell")

' --- EXE

extKey = "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\.exe\"
shellStr = "exefile"
shellKey = "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\exefile\shell\open\command\"
execStr = """%1"" %*"

WshShell.RegWrite extKey, shellStr
WshShell.RegWrite shellKey, execStr

End With

msgText = "EXE association is restored."
endBox = MsgBox(msgText, 4096, " Done")

Save the file as "FixExe.vbs" (include the quotes around the filename).  Double-click the file to restore the default setting.

EDIT:  VB script corrected

Edited by TomGL2, 18 May 2010 - 07:09 PM.

#3 Magbc

Magbc

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 05 May 2010 - 04:45 PM

Thanks TomGL2,

Sorry, Win Vista Home Basic is the Op System

I typed in "Notepad" in the Start search box and now it is asking what file do I want to use to open Notepad. What is the file called and where is it located?

Magbc

Always mention the version of Windows you're running.

This problem is generally the aftermath of a malware infection.  Paste this text into Notepad.

' --- EXE

shellStr = "exefile"
execStr = """%1"" %*"

Save the file as "FixExe.vbs" (include the quotes around the filename).  Double-click the file to restore the default setting.

#4 TomGL2

TomGL2

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • 3,078 posts

Posted 05 May 2010 - 08:27 PM

Use another computer to create the file, and save it to a USB flash drive.  Plug the flash drive into the Presario.  While pressing the Windows key (usually labeled with the Microsoft flag or "Start"), tap the R key to open the Run dialog.  Browse to the flash drive.  Type FixExe.vbs in the File name box and click Open, then click OK. --- OR --- Right-click a clear spot on the Desktop, point to New, and click Text Document.  Double-click the file to open it in Notepad.  Copy and paste the text, then click File and Save As.  Select the Desktop in the Save in List.  Type "FixExe.vbs" (including the quotes) as the file name, then click Save.  Close Notepad. Double-click FixExe.vbs on the Desktop.

Edited by TomGL2, 05 May 2010 - 08:38 PM.

#5 Magbc

Magbc

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 06 May 2010 - 04:32 PM

TomGL2,
Windows Script Host came back with the following error:

Script: C:\Users\Desktop\Fix.Exe.vbs.vbs
Line 16
Char: 1
Error: Expected 'End'
Code" 800A03F6
Source: Microsoft VBScript compilation error

What did I do wrong?

Magbc

Use another computer to create the file, and save it to a USB flash drive.  Plug the flash drive into the Presario.  While pressing the Windows key (usually labeled with the Microsoft flag or "Start"), tap the R key to open the Run dialog.  Browse to the flash drive.  Type FixExe.vbs in the File name box and click Open, then click OK.

--- OR ---

Right-click a clear spot on the Desktop, point to New, and click Text Document.  Double-click the file to open it in Notepad.  Copy and paste the text, then click File and Save As.  Select the Desktop in the Save in List.  Type "FixExe.vbs" (including the quotes) as the file name, then click Save.  Close Notepad.

Double-click FixExe.vbs on the Desktop.

#6 TomGL2

TomGL2

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • 3,078 posts

Posted 06 May 2010 - 07:30 PM

Windows Script Host came back with the following error:

Script: C:\Users\Desktop\Fix.Exe.vbs.vbs
Line 16
Error: Expected 'End'

Sorry, my error; one statement didn't survive copy & paste.

' --- EXE

shellStr = "exefile"
execStr = """%1"" %*"

End With

Copy the text above, right-click FixExe.vbs and click Edit, delete the existing text, paste the new text.  Click File, Exit, and Yes to save.  Double-click to execute.

#7 Magbc

Magbc

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 07 May 2010 - 05:31 PM

TomGL2,

Now the Windows script host says:

Line: 11
Error: Permission denied
Code: 800A0046
Source: Microsoft VBScript runtime error

Magbc

Sorry, my error; one statement didn't survive copy & paste.

' --- EXE

shellStr = "exefile"
execStr = """%1"" %*"

End With

Copy the text above, right-click FixExe.vbs and click Edit, delete the existing text, paste the new text.  Click File, Exit, and Yes to save.  Double-click to execute.

#8 Jacee

Jacee

Madam Admin <aka> Maude

• Admins
  • 27,724 posts

Posted 07 May 2010 - 07:28 PM

Let's try to restore your file extensions. You must have left a check mark in "always open with this program".

In this article http://www.winhelpon...dows-Vista.html
You can 'fix' the association by following the 'merge' instructions.

***Note that you need to be an administrator (or run as Administrator in right click drop down) to apply these fixes.

By the way, Notepad's extension is %windir%\system32\notepad.exe

MS - MVP Consumer Security 2006 thru 2014

#9 TomGL2

TomGL2

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • 3,078 posts

Posted 07 May 2010 - 08:54 PM

Now the Windows script host says: Error: Permission denied

You need to be logged on to an account with administrator's rights.  Or, open a command prompt as administrator (see below).  Drag Fix.Exe.vbs into the window, click anywhere in the window, then press Enter.

Click the Start button .

In the Search box, type command prompt.

In the list of results, right-click Command Prompt, and then click Run as administrator. If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-vista/Command-Prompt-frequently-asked-questions

#10 Magbc

Magbc

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 11 May 2010 - 03:15 PM

TomGL2 and Jacee,

Thanks for your help. The command prompt worked and all the icons appear to do what they are supposed to.

Magbc

<!--quoteo(post=1682184:date=3:31pm Fri May 7 2010:name=Magbc)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Magbc @ 3:31pm Fri May 7 2010) View Post</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Now the Windows script host says: Error: Permission denied<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->You need to be logged on to an account with administrator's rights.  Or, open a command prompt as administrator (see below).  Drag Fix.Exe.vbs into the window, click anywhere in the window, then press Enter.

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Click the Start button .

In the list of results, right-click Command Prompt, and then click Run as administrator. If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

<a href="http://windows.micro...sked-questions" target="_blank"><!--coloro:#0000FF--><span style="color:#0000FF"><!--/coloro-->windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-vista/Command-Prompt-frequently-asked-questions<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--></a><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

#11 Nevee1

Nevee1

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 04:43 PM

do these instructions apply to Windows XP also ?

#12 TomGL2

TomGL2

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • 3,078 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 07:34 PM

Do these instructions apply to Windows XP also?

Yes, for the most part.  Use another computer to create FixExe.vbs, then save the file to a flash drive.

Power down the problem computer if it's running.  Plug in the flash drive containing FixExe.vbs and power up the computer.  Begin tapping the F5 key before Windows starts to load, and when the Advanced Options menu appears, use the arrow keys to highlight Safe Mode, then press Enter.

When the Welcome screen appears, log on to the Administrator account, and click Yes to continue.

Click Start and Run, then click Browse.  Click the down-arrowhead to the right of Look in, and click the flash drive icon.  Click FixExe.vbs and click Open, then click OK.

Click OK at the completion message, then restart the computer normally.

#13 ghasu143

ghasu143

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 31 May 2010 - 05:14 AM

I have same problem with my sony vaio laptop, with windows 7 OS. I tried with this process but showing permission denied with error code. waiting for reply Ghasu143

#14 TomGL2

TomGL2

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • 3,078 posts

Posted 31 May 2010 - 01:11 PM

with windows 7 OS. I tried with this process but showing permission denied with error code.

From post #9:

Click the Start button .

An elevated command prompt should now be open.  To run the script, use one of the methods below.

(1)  Drag FixExe.vbs into the command prompt window, then click anywhere in the window, and press Enter.

(2)  If FixExe.vbs is stored on a flash drive, type the full path and filename, then press Enter.  For example, if the flash drive letter is E, you would type E:\FixExe.vbs.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users