Is my desktop wireless capable

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 badbadputer

badbadputer

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 08:35 PM

Windows Vista Modem Info - Agere Systems Soft Modem How or where on my computer would it tell me if my desktop is capable of wireless internet connection? I have recently decided to move my office into another area of my home and would like to find out if purchasing additional wiring is going to be necessary before unplugging and moving my computer. As I did not set up my computer personally, what do I unplug to check for wireless capabilities. Hope this makes sense, advice and/or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

#2 nigsy

nigsy

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 3,510 posts

Posted 13 April 2010 - 12:18 AM

Windows Vista
Modem Info - Agere Systems Soft Modem

How or where on my computer would it tell me if my desktop is capable of wireless internet connection?

I have recently decided to move my office into another area of my home and would like to find out if purchasing additional wiring is going to be necessary before unplugging and moving my computer.

As I did not set up my computer personally, what do I unplug to check for wireless capabilities.

Hope this makes sense, advice and/or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

:wp:

It's unlikely youre desktop PC is wireless compatable out of the box. Does it have a small aerial sticking out the back of it near to the ethernet connection?

I am not familliar with your modem, but is it also a wireless router?, if not you will need to buy either a router or a wireless router/ modem, Linksys have a good reliable range.

For your PC you will need either a wireless card (internal to a pci slot) or a wireless dongle plugged into a USB slot. All the required software will come with whatever route you go down.

If you need help with configuration post back on a new thread....

The South-West Will Rise Again

Mebyon Kernow - Voice Of Cornwall

#3 roleo

roleo

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • 459 posts

Posted 14 April 2010 - 07:30 PM

Agere Systems Soft Modem is a software modem and is not wireless at all. I assume you will be using a wireless router and you will have to get a USB WiFi card to match.

#4 wdeydwondrer

wdeydwondrer

who dat gonna beat dem saints

• Advanced Member
  • 9,250 posts

Posted 17 April 2010 - 07:56 AM

if it's a software modem, sounds like dialup still..... but it would help to know what kind of connection he has. so you might need a modem. and then you'll need the wireless router and card for your computer. good news though is alot of places sell a "starter kit" that has both these in it just to make it that much more simple.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users