• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 pete_c

pete_c

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • 351 posts

Posted 06 February 2010 - 06:55 AM

hi im posting this on behalf of a friend so if some info is missing i apologise. laptop is a dell running vista home, she took it to her dads for the weekend-worked fine on his wireless router, on returning home she has had trouble getting it online to the netgear router,says in network connections it is connected and signal is excellent but it does not connect to the internet. mocrosft has a few problem solving things they tried but none worked. :h3lp: thanks in advance pete

#2 jojesa

jojesa

Gold member

• Advanced Member
  • 2,668 posts

Posted 06 February 2010 - 09:32 AM

hi im posting this on behalf of a friend so if some info is missing i apologise.
laptop is a dell running vista home, she took it to her dads for the weekend-worked fine on his wireless router,
on returning home she has had trouble getting it online to the netgear router,says in network connections it is connected and signal is excellent but it does not connect to the internet.

mocrosft has a few problem solving things they tried but none worked.

:h3lp:

thanks in advance

pete

Could you post a little more info about the issue.
Include ISP, type of service (DSL, cable, etc.), router and modem brand and models.
Can she connect to the internet with a Ethernet (patch) cable hooked to the router.

#3 PowerChucker

PowerChucker

Looking for Free PC Parts

• Anti-Spyware Brigade
  • 2,312 posts

Posted 08 February 2010 - 01:15 PM

try an ipconfig /all if she is getting a 192.168.*.* address than she is connecting to the router and DHCP is working if she is getting a 169.254.*.* address then she is still connected to the router, but it is not passing DHCP to the laptop, and it will never hit the interwebs. i would in either case, do an ipconfig /release then ipconfig /renew or you could right click that network conection and click on repair connection(it will renew automatically) you can also try power cycling the modem and router. you can try to reset internet explorer to its default settings also tools>internet options>advanced tab, then click restore internet explorer settings

Edited by PowerChucker, 08 February 2010 - 09:54 PM.

#4 bfvmg

bfvmg

Advanced Member

• Anti-Spyware Brigade
  • 598 posts

Posted 09 February 2010 - 12:13 AM

I have been having problems lately with third party firewalls causing this issue...especially Norton Internet Security. Check to see if that is installed.
The truth is true, and is not changed by disbelief or wishful thinking
The voices in my head aren't real - But they do have some good ideas!
If the truth hurts, then change the facts

#5 pete_c

pete_c

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • 351 posts

Posted 09 February 2010 - 10:37 AM

I have been having problems lately with third party firewalls causing this issue...especially Norton Internet Security.

Check to see if that is installed.

ok guys thx for replys i will see what firewall is on there.

to powerchucker..connecting to router isnt a problem-says signal is excellent..just wont connect to web..chucked in a ethernet cable and no probs -got connected straight away.

device manager says her dell wireless card is fine-updated drivers and they were most recent-lappy is only 3 months old anyway.

but....why would she get a wireless signal at her dads no probs and then have trouble back home..obviously i can see the netgear may be at fault but 2 other puters in house connect without problem.?

i did attempt to remove the connection then reboot and add it all again but it connected straight away to router.
also repaired did nout. one thing i did notice was the small button on side that turns laptop to wireless,it lit up blue but then went out-is this light meant to stay on permanent while you are connected wirelessly.

to many questions..sorry guys..next rounds on me :b33r:

#6 roleo

roleo

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • 459 posts

Posted 09 February 2010 - 11:16 AM

Are you sure that you're connecting to your router?. If it's your's, then can laptop connect to router using 192.168.2.1 or whatever router address is in IE? If not then you need to add the network again using wireless network connection properties. My HP laptop has a blue wireless indicator light which is just to indicate that it's active.

#7 pete_c

pete_c

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • 351 posts

Posted 09 February 2010 - 02:54 PM

Are you sure that you're connecting to your router?. If it's your's, then can laptop connect to router using 192.168.2.1 or whatever router address is in IE? If not then you need to add the network again using wireless network connection properties.
My HP laptop has a blue wireless indicator light which is just to indicate that it's active.

yup i have done that-and it picked up the netgear signal -showing connected signal strength excellent.

#8 PowerChucker

PowerChucker

Looking for Free PC Parts

• Anti-Spyware Brigade
  • 2,312 posts

Posted 09 February 2010 - 04:56 PM

can you ping out to the internet? can you ping www.google.com? or some other sites? microsoft.com.... is her tcp/ip properties set to automatically asign ip and dns addresses?

#9 wdeydwondrer

wdeydwondrer

who dat gonna beat dem saints

• Advanced Member
  • 9,249 posts

Posted 09 February 2010 - 06:13 PM

check your network manager to see if for some reason your wireless connection has gone into public mode. also try rebooting your router to ensure a setting didn't get lost, such as 'allow wlan to internet', LOL

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users