Windows 7 SATA support on nForce3 250Gb chipset

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 jrchip01

jrchip01

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 11:04 AM

I have a Gigabyte GA-K8NSC-939 motherboard with the nForce3 250Gb chipset. I was planning to upgrade my 32-bit Win XP to Windows 7 on a new SATA drive. I went to Gigabyte's website to look for an appropriate driver. There was none. I contacted Gigabyte - they repled that because of issues with the nForce3 250Gb chipset that they could not write the driver. I found this link to what appears to be the correct driver, but it's dated 6/21/06, long before Windows 7 final release.

http://www.pcpitstop...Controller.html

In any case, the download link is not active (when I mouse over it, nothing happens).

Do I have any alternative other than buying new hardware to get Windows 7 SATA support?

thanks.... Chip

#2 caintry_boy

caintry_boy

Folding for Mama and Daddy

• Moderators
  • 21,120 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 11:10 AM

I can't say for sure, but it's doubtful that Win 7 would run on the Nforce 3 chipset. In all honesty, I'd say it's time to upgrade anyway.....at least to the 750i, 790i or Intel 775, i5, i7...... :geezer:

Heatware
How To Post A Test
Isaiah 6 v5 “Woe to me!” I cried. “I am ruined! For I am a man of unclean lips, and I live among a people of unclean lips, and my eyes have seen the King, the Lord Almighty.”

#3 stormy13

stormy13

Woof!

• Anti-Spyware Brigade
  • 10,327 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 11:18 AM

You're going to run into a lot more than not finding a working SATA driver for that chipset for Windows 7, the AGP driver is another one. The NF3 chipset never even received any Vista support, so 7 is out of the question.

Have a good search around here,

http://www.sevenforums.com/

using nforce3 as the search term, and you will find lots of threads dealing with it. Some have managed to get it working using a variety of workarounds. Other than that it would probably be better to hold off on 7 until you have a computer that has support.

MS - MVP Windows Expert-Consumer 2010 - 2012

#4 jrchip01

jrchip01

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 11:43 AM

I can't say for sure, but it's doubtful that Win 7 would run on the Nforce 3 chipset. In all honesty, I'd say it's time to upgrade anyway.....at least to the 750i, 790i or Intel 775, i5, i7......
:geezer:

caintry_boy:

Thanks for responding so quickly and for the advice - the cost of a new MOBO, memory, CPU and OS approaches the cost of a complete pre-built non-gamer system, so I'll probably repurpose my ancient XP machine and buy a new one with Win 7 already on it.

Chip

#5 jrchip01

jrchip01

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 11:51 AM

You're going to run into a lot more than not finding a working SATA driver for that chipset for Windows 7, the AGP driver is another one. The NF3 chipset never even received any Vista support, so 7 is out of the question.

Have a good search around here,

http://www.sevenforums.com/

using nforce3 as the search term, and you will find lots of threads dealing with it. Some have managed to get it working using a variety of workarounds. Other than that it would probably be better to hold off on 7 until you have a computer that has support.

Stormy13:
Thanks for responding so quickly and for the advice. I had a look at sevenforums. With all those potential problems, it makes much more sense to buy a new machine. - the cost of a new MOBO, memory, CPU and OS approaches the cost of a complete pre-built non-gamer system. I'll probably repurpose my ancient XP machine and buy a new one with Win 7 already on it.

Chip

#6 allexxy

allexxy

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 07:56 PM

hi chip, i think the answer to that lies in your question... Is it possible at all to only remove the NForce3 drivers for the PATA controller and leave the SATA, where the HD are, with NForce3 ? Maybe the simple solution is DISABLE NCQ y downloading a patch from the nVidia website. I only know this to work with Maxtor DiamondMax 10 since that's the drive I know to have had issues with, so it's a risk you have to decide about. would be happy to hear the results.....

#7 jrchip01

jrchip01

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 15 January 2010 - 02:32 PM

hi chip, i think the answer to that lies in your question...

Is it possible at all to only remove the NForce3 drivers for the PATA controller and leave the SATA, where the HD are, with NForce3 ?

Maybe the simple solution is DISABLE NCQ y downloading a patch from the nVidia website. I only know this to work with Maxtor DiamondMax 10 since that's the drive I know to have had issues with, so it's a risk you have to decide about.
would be happy to hear the results.....

ALLEXXY:

Thanks for responding. Sorry it took so long for me to reply. Anyway, I decided to take the easy way out and buy a new machine!

Best regards...
Chip

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users