PC Matic Defrag & SSDs

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Xini

Xini

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 25 November 2009 - 04:43 AM

I recently bought PC Matic after having used Optimise for a while. I bought it originally to fix a friends computer and it did that job admirably thank you. However my PC isn't conventional and I'm concerned that PC Matic insists on defragging my C drive. My computer is set up with an SSD RAID array as the C drive. I've also bought Diskeeper to keep the fragmentation to a minimum (been using it for years before I picked up optimise so I've never compared them) but with diskeeper it doesn't defrag the SSDs, it will only optimise them. So the question is, can I switch off PC Matics defrag as part of it automated run? I'd really like to use the rest of it but the defrag is not something I wish to make use of on this PC. Also how does the defrag work with SSDs? Does it really try to defrag an SSD like it's a mechanical disk? I should really explain why this is a problem. Basically I'd like to make use of PCMatic but the defrag is part of the process and I'm not really comfortable running an unresearched defrag tool on an SSD array in case it causes excess wear. Hence I'd like to be able to switch that part off and use the rest of the tools unhindered.

Edited by Xini, 25 November 2009 - 08:19 AM.

#2 IntelGuy

IntelGuy

Yeah, it's pretty, but can it go fast?

• Admins
  • 20,190 posts

Posted 25 November 2009 - 12:10 PM

:wp: I personally have a six-drive SSD RAID 0 array that PC Matic has been tested on, as well as a single SSD laptop that has been tested. Although neither drive setup has demonstrated any degradation from having been defragged by PC Matic, we are aware of the potential issues and are currently developing the technology to detect SSD's and then skip the defrag process.

... avoid foolish controversies and ... strife and disputes ..., for they are unprofitable and worthless. Titus 3:9 NASB

#3 Xini

Xini

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 27 November 2009 - 08:46 AM

Thanks. I guess I'll let it run through and just keep an eye on how many times I run it. Apparently it's not a performance issue, defragging is supposed to make no difference though (I'd be interested if your experience refutes this though), but more one of wear and tear on the drive. Any idea of when this patch will be out? (nagging I know but then if patience was a strong point I wouldn't worry so much about optimisation and fragmentation ;) )

#4 IntelGuy

IntelGuy

• Admins
  • 20,190 posts

Posted 27 November 2009 - 09:43 PM

In all of the product testing I have not seen any improvement from defragging the SSD's. We are hoping to have the fix within a few weeks, or sooner.

... avoid foolish controversies and ... strife and disputes ..., for they are unprofitable and worthless. Titus 3:9 NASB

#5 rgstacy

rgstacy

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 27 November 2009 - 09:53 PM

In all of the product testing I have not seen any improvement from defragging the SSD's.

We are hoping to have the fix within a few weeks, or sooner.

How about a simple switch to turn off the defrag portion? I don't use an array, but do use Diskeeper Pro Premier, which, basically, intentionally fragments the drive to add space after files that grow so they don't become fragmented. What I'm doing now is turning off Diskeeper to run PC Matic, then turning it back on after running. A simple switch would be a big help to me, and would also allow raid users, as well as others who don't need the defrag for whatever reason, to turn it off.

Edited by rgstacy, 27 November 2009 - 09:54 PM.

#6 IntelGuy

IntelGuy

• Admins
  • 20,190 posts

Posted 27 November 2009 - 10:06 PM

There are a lot more options in the works for PC Matic. We expect to have them rolled out in a few months. I will submit that one as a feature request. Thanks for your input.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users