My computer won't stay booted up

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Buhmann33

Buhmann33

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 01 November 2009 - 09:41 PM

I am able to turn on my computer but when it gets to the windows login sceen it restarts itself. There are no error windows that show up. I need help please!

#2 adam22

adam22

Open Your Mind

• Advanced Member
  • 2,299 posts

Posted 01 November 2009 - 09:58 PM

It sounds like a failing power supply. Are you using a desktop and how old is it?

#3 Buhmann33

Buhmann33

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 01 November 2009 - 11:12 PM

It's new, I just rebuilt the tower and have XP installed. It was working completely fine for a couple of months then it started its problems

#4 Tx Redneck

Tx Redneck

Tx Redneck- The Spam Hunter

• Anti-Spyware Brigade
  • 5,290 posts
  • Location:On the straight and narrow,stumbling at best, only by Gods grace.

Posted 02 November 2009 - 08:21 AM

You may need to disable automatic restart when your laptop got blue screen. Here the simple step (This instructions works on Microsoft Windows Vista): - Right click on your computer icon and select Properties - Select Advance System Settings - In the Advance Setup, you have to select the Settings button under “Startup and Recovery”. - You have to uncheck “Automatically restart” under System Failure Section. This applies to desktops as well. Even though you aren't getting a BSOD, try this and see if there's some error code.

Edited by Tx Redneck, 02 November 2009 - 08:22 AM.

God will not save you from that which he will perfect you through. Dr Voddie Baucham
If more people would get a divorce from themselves, they might learn how to live happily with someone else.

#5 Joe C

Joe C

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • 18,957 posts

Posted 02 November 2009 - 08:28 AM

You may need to disable automatic restart when your laptop got blue screen. Here the simple step (This instructions works on Microsoft Windows Vista):
- Right click on your computer icon and select Properties
- Select Advance System Settings
- In the Advance Setup, you have to select the Settings button under "Startup and Recovery".
- You have to uncheck "Automatically restart" under System Failure Section.

This applies to desktops as well. Even though you aren't getting a BSOD, try this and see if there's some error code.

can't do that if it won't boot

Can you get it into safemode? (tap the F8 key after it posts but before windows loads up)

#6 Buhmann33

Buhmann33

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 02 November 2009 - 09:55 AM

I tried booting in safe mode but I had the same issue. Also it is not a laptop.

#7 Joe C

Joe C

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • 18,957 posts

Posted 02 November 2009 - 11:12 AM

Do yu have your XP disk? if so, you can use your disk to boot into the recovery console, and see if you can do a system restore from there
For anyone who is new to windows, the recovery console can be found by booting up your machine with the XP CD in the drive, and booting off of that CD. Then it will ask you if you want to go to the recovery console, and select that option. The recovery console is basically a MS DOS command prompt, with a little more functionality.

When you get to the recovery console follow these instructions.

• Type CD\ then Enter
  • Then cd system~1\_resto~1 then Enter
  • Type dir then Enter
When you hit enter it will list all the restore points folders like rp1, rp2 …….. If the restore points have more than one page then u have to keep on hitting the <Enter> key to view the last restore point folder. You will have to choose the second to last option folder

If you get an access denied error when doing the above, then do the following at the recovery console:

Type CD\ then press Enter
Type cd windows\system32\config then press Enter
Type ren system system.bak then press Enter
Type exist press Enter

Your PC will reboot, go back into the Recovery Console and then you have access

If you still cannot get access in anyway to your installation in the recovery console then your SAM database files are corrupt. There is no way you can restore these with the recovery console. You may need to do a fresh install
  • Type cd rp {the second to the last restore point no. } (Note: Example: cd rp9, if rp9 is the second to the last restore point where the last restore point no. is 10
  • Then type cd snapshot
Now the command prompt will look like this c:\system~1\_resto~1\rp9\snapshot
  • Type: copy _registry_machine_system c:\windows\system32\config\system
  • Press enter
  • Then type: copy _registry_machine_software c:\windows\system32\config\software
Then type exit

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users