• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#21 faith_michele

faith_michele

Advanced Member

• Anti-Spyware Brigade
  • 4,587 posts

Posted 04 October 2009 - 05:54 AM

You use Threatfire in addition to antivirus.

I decided to check it out. Thanks! :)

I am still undecided about IOBIT 360. I haven't seen any real tests on it yet.

Oh, I just wanted to remind everyone to look at the COU list on who is installing unwanted Toolbars with security applications.

http://www.calendaro...hp?act=calendar

Make sure you uncheck the box, if you do not want the toolbar.
Microsoft Consumer Security MVP, July 2007 - June 2010

"Fight your fights, find the grace in all the things that you can't change and help somebody, if you can." Van Zant

#22 kd5

kd5

Format Junky and

• Anti-Spyware Brigade
  • 15,016 posts

Posted 04 October 2009 - 06:52 AM

Checked out ThreatFire at Download.com, found alot of people saying it requires a reboot after every update (which is pretty much every day), that could be annoying to some people. Some people liked it, some people didn't like the freezing, crashing, and having to recover their PC from an image backup. One person said "CONSTANTLY popping up telling me that I need to reboot machine before updates will go into effect. I know it's free, but it's so bothersome that I'm willing to purchase a product so that I don't have to deal with this." 4 out of 5 stars from CNet, 3 out of 5 from 254 user votes...

http://download.cnet...4-10726873.html

4.15 out of 5 @ MajorGeeks:

http://majorgeeks.co...Fire_d5190.html -kd5-
Time is the fire in which we burn. (Soran)

#23 faith_michele

faith_michele

Advanced Member

• Anti-Spyware Brigade
  • 4,587 posts

Posted 04 October 2009 - 06:59 AM

Thanks! :)

"Fight your fights, find the grace in all the things that you can't change and help somebody, if you can." Van Zant

#24 kd5

kd5

Format Junky and

• Anti-Spyware Brigade
  • 15,016 posts

Posted 04 October 2009 - 07:00 AM

Security 360 hasn't been rated by CNet yet, but gets 4 stars from 163 users. 2 people said AntiVir treated it like a virus, but since I use Avast! I guess that doesn't matter. 1 person said 360 wouldn't close... :shrug:

http://download.cnet....html?tag=mncol

4.46 out of 5 @ MajorGeeks:

http://www.majorgeek..._360_d6088.html -kd5-

#25 Jacee

Jacee

Madam Admin <aka> Maude

• Admins
  • 27,858 posts

Posted 04 October 2009 - 10:54 AM

Spyware Blaster is one to keep! ... This program works to stop potentially unwanted software before it has a chance to get on your machine.
(also read faqs)
http://www.javacools...html#Principles

Hosts File faq:
http://www.mvps.org/...02/hostsfaq.htm

Keith, I have MSE on my XP machine (running SP3 and IE8) I like it :)

If you have problems with IE8, just make sure that you 'run in compatibility mode'. Click on tools drop down menu in the upper right corner.

MS - MVP Consumer Security 2006 thru 2014

#26 kd5

kd5

Format Junky and

• Anti-Spyware Brigade
  • 15,016 posts

Posted 05 October 2009 - 08:20 AM

My biggest concern with MSE is that it purports to replace your existing AV & AS tools (excluding SpywareBlaster), that I am comfortable with Avast!, and that if I am to replace my AV/AS tools with MSE, I need to have a good track record of successes with it. I've come to trust Avast!, although I'm not entirely certain how well it does to keep those bogus AV/Security applications from getting on a person's computer but that could be typical of most of the AV/AS applications in existence. Maybe I should start a thread about MSE and see how many success stories come to light. IOBIT's Security 360 as well... -kd5-

#27 kd5

kd5

Format Junky and

• Anti-Spyware Brigade
  • 15,016 posts

Posted 05 October 2009 - 09:48 PM

Decided to try 360 on 2 computers, set everything to industrial strength, we'll see how it goes. So far I've had to give several apps permission to run, kind of like a firewall. Hope it doesn't get to be too much of a PITA. I can well imagine most customers wouldn't know what to do if they were prompted for some kind of action, they'd probably call me... :rolleyes: -kd5-

#28 Tx Redneck

Tx Redneck

Tx Redneck- The Spam Hunter

• Anti-Spyware Brigade
  • 5,297 posts
  • Location:On the straight and narrow,stumbling at best, only by Gods grace.

Posted 06 October 2009 - 08:09 AM

Decided to try 360 on 2 computers, set everything to industrial strength, we'll see how it goes. So far I've had to give several apps permission to run, kind of like a firewall. Hope it doesn't get to be too much of a PITA. I can well imagine most customers wouldn't know what to do if they were prompted for some kind of action, they'd probably call me... :rolleyes: -kd5-

If you'll go into options and turn it down to recommended, you won't have to worry about that anymore.

:Texan:

God will not save you from that which he will perfect you through. Dr Voddie Baucham
If more people would get a divorce from themselves, they might learn how to live happily with someone else.

#29 Joe C

Joe C

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • 18,957 posts

Posted 06 October 2009 - 11:39 AM

I put MSE in a clean install of W7 rc just to check it out, went surfing to some bad neighborhoods, a few pages refused to load, but I do not know if it was MSE blocking or something else. I did manage to pick it a trojan and surfed some more after that, This is a slide show of my results:
http://s13.photobuck...mview=slideshow

I am not saying that I think MSE is great or good, but it did appear to work in this case...I think much more needs to be reviewed before I make any final decisions, mostly because of the reputation M$ has for being weak

Edited by Joe C, 06 October 2009 - 12:33 PM.

#30 kd5

kd5

Format Junky and

• Anti-Spyware Brigade
  • 15,016 posts

Posted 07 October 2009 - 07:21 AM

If you'll go into options and turn it down to recommended, you won't have to worry about that anymore.

:Texan:

I put MSE in a clean install of W7 rc just to check it out, went surfing to some bad neighborhoods, a few pages refused to load, but I do not know if it was MSE blocking or something else. I did manage to pick it a trojan and surfed some more after that, This is a slide show of my results:
http://s13.photobuck...mview=slideshow

I am not saying that I think MSE is great or good, but it did appear to work in this case...I think much more needs to be reviewed before I make any final decisions, mostly because of the reputation M$ has for being weak

Thanks guys! I turned 360 down to Recommended, we'll see how that goes... :tup:

One thing I can confirm is that 360 doesn't seem to slow down the browser like Spybot does. -kd5-

#31 kd5

kd5

Format Junky and

• Anti-Spyware Brigade
  • 15,016 posts

Posted 07 October 2009 - 07:25 AM

I'm assuming you probably wouldn't want to run SpywareGuard alongside 360? -kd5-

#32 Jacee

Jacee

Madam Admin <aka> Maude

• Admins
  • 27,858 posts

Posted 07 October 2009 - 11:56 AM

MSE does not interfere with SpywareGuard, SpywareBlaster, SuperAntispyware, or MalwareBytes' Anti-Malware. I have been testing it ;)

#33 kd5

kd5

Format Junky and

• Anti-Spyware Brigade
  • 15,016 posts

Posted 07 October 2009 - 03:39 PM

Decided to install 360 on my own computer alongside SpywareBlaster and SpywareGuard, so far they seem to get along with one another just fine, at least my computer hasn't screamed at me or crumbled into a heaping pile of wreckage... :yikes: -kd5-

#34 Joe C

Joe C

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • 18,957 posts

Posted 07 October 2009 - 05:54 PM

Sunbelt Software CEO, Alex Eckelberry did a review of MSE:
http://www.sunbeltse...Thoughts-on-MSE

I am interested in following MSE and it's development, it looks competitive with other freebie a/v's currently out there but I'm not holding my breath just yet

I don't mean to be hijacking your thread Kd5, but for a freebie application to install for people this does look like a possibility

Edited by Joe C, 07 October 2009 - 06:03 PM.

#35 kd5

kd5

Format Junky and

• Anti-Spyware Brigade
  • 15,016 posts

Posted 07 October 2009 - 09:39 PM

I'd be interested in following MSE's development as well, but to trust a new M$ product to replace a tried and true antivirus solution on customer's computers at this stage in its development is kinda risky. I'd be very interested however to see how this application pans out. I very much appreciate everyone's followthrough and feedback on this and all the other applications mentioned in this thread... :) -kd5-

#36 faith_michele

faith_michele

Advanced Member

• Anti-Spyware Brigade
  • 4,587 posts

Posted 08 October 2009 - 03:37 AM

My biggest concern with MSE is that it purports to replace your existing AV & AS tools (excluding SpywareBlaster), that I am comfortable with Avast!, and that if I am to replace my AV/AS tools with MSE, I need to have a good track record of successes with it. I've come to trust Avast!, although I'm not entirely certain how well it does to keep those bogus AV/Security applications from getting on a person's computer but that could be typical of most of the AV/AS applications in existence. Maybe I should start a thread about MSE and see how many success stories come to light. IOBIT's Security 360 as well... -kd5-

My opinion of the bogus AV/Security applications is that most of them are a test to see what does get through. It is almost at the point now where it is seen as an inconvenience and it reminds me of the view on spam.

Scroll through this blog and look at the Virus Total results for some of the threats found in the wild. They are generally at the end of the blog post.

http://garwarner.blogspot.com/

I am undecided about MSE because when I tested it, this is what concerned me.

http://social.answer...b4-2381c567a52a

Joe C has already pointed out the Sunbelt blog post above which had some interesting remarks in it (no email protection).

Edited by faith_michele, 08 October 2009 - 03:41 AM.

#37 Joe C

Joe C

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • 18,957 posts

Posted 08 October 2009 - 05:40 AM

yup, looks like M$ has spy net permanetly enabled, but it probably doesn't collect as much data from you as taking a pc pitstop test does would it? more and more people don't use the email applications on their pc anymore, as it is becoming popular to use an on line email, some folks are not even aware that they have an email program on their pc's. Email security software should still be a requirement tho. I would love to get a win antivirus/fake security 2009/2010 malware on my test box in order to check out how MSE would handle it, but it seems that when I want to find it I can't

Edited by Joe C, 08 October 2009 - 05:47 AM.

#38 kd5

kd5

Format Junky and

• Anti-Spyware Brigade
  • 15,016 posts

Posted 08 October 2009 - 08:17 AM

I have seen 2 of those bogus AV/AS/Security apps so far that have completely disabled all of the legitimate security applications on the computers in question and have prevented any scans from removing it by preventing legitimate security apps from running at all. While there may have been lengthy HJT procedures for their removal, I would not have felt comfortable with anything less than a format & reinstall. Trust me, you would not want to purposely infect yourself with these unless you were prepared to wipe and start over... :cr@sh: -kd5-

#39 Joe C

Joe C

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • 18,957 posts

Posted 08 October 2009 - 08:32 AM

That is a test box, I have no problems with a format on it....There's really not much of anything on it to start out with because I just formatted and put a clean install on it yesterday

#40 Jacee

Jacee

Madam Admin <aka> Maude

• Admins
  • 27,858 posts

Posted 09 October 2009 - 12:05 PM

I would love to get a win antivirus/fake security 2009/2010 malware on my test box in order to check out how MSE would handle it, but it seems that when I want to find it I can't

Joe, take a look in your hosts file ..... choose from there :P

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users