Certain keyboard keys not working

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 AkSokSan

AkSokSan

• Members
  • 48 posts

Posted 30 August 2009 - 11:35 AM

I have googled, tried different keyboards, tried different drivers... Nothing seems to work. The problem began over 6 months ago with my old computer, which was running Windows XP. Back then I used a Razer Tarantula Keyboard and it worked great. Except that every once in a while it would have a couple of keys that stopped working. When that happened I would just unplug it (USB) an plug it in again. Later on, I switched to a Razer Lycosa keyboard and the problem was gone... for a while. After just a few days that new keyboard did the exact same thing. A couple of months back, I bought new PC parts with help of you guys here, and I was hoping never to have that prob again, but it's back. I'm running Windows Vista 64 bit, and every keyboard I try has the same prob. I have only tried USB keyboards, but get this... Even the Virtual Keyboard doesn't type those keys when I try them! So it has to be a software problem... Edit: I forgot to mention: the keys work again after a reboot, but rebooting every time to temporarily 'fix' the problem is not an option. Btw, it's the m and d keys, and I had to write this topic by constantly copy pasting those keys when I needed them, lol. Anyway, who can help?

Edited by AkSokSan, 30 August 2009 - 12:10 PM.

#2 duanester

duanester

OpenSuSe Movement

• Anti-Spyware Brigade
  • 21,446 posts

Posted 30 August 2009 - 07:49 PM

if your using a usb hub this will happen, also are any of these true

http://support.micro....com/kb/927824/
When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth !!
Join the next generation of computing, Open Source, and Linux/GNU!
"nvidia license taints kernel"

#3 AkSokSan

AkSokSan

• Members
  • 48 posts

Posted 31 August 2009 - 08:55 AM

if your using a usb hub this will happen, also are any of these true

http://support.micro....com/kb/927824/

No, I am not using a USB hub.
And no, I don't have the problem explained in the link. I have an English keyboard and that's also the keyboard layout I chose when installing Windows.
Also, the b has just stopped working while typing this, so it really can't be that problem because then the same keys would always 'die'. The keys that stop working are usually random.
Thanks for the reply though...

Edited by AkSokSan, 31 August 2009 - 08:56 AM.

#4 Joe C

Joe C

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • 18,957 posts

Posted 31 August 2009 - 09:01 AM

Un install the software that came with the key board, then go into the device manager and remove the keyboard from there and reboot, windows will reinstall it's native driver for the kb, if that does not help then get a cheap kb and see if that makes any difference

#5 AkSokSan

AkSokSan

• Members
  • 48 posts

Posted 31 August 2009 - 09:17 AM

Alright, I will do that when the problem is there again. I just rebooted to fix my 'b' :P The thing is, I love this keyboard and its macro capabilities, so I'd really love to use the driver that Razer offers to use the keyboard to its full extent. When I check the Razer website, none of the other users complain about the same problem, so it's hard for me to believe it's the driver.

#6 Joe C

Joe C

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • 18,957 posts

Posted 31 August 2009 - 09:20 AM

you can always put it back, did you remove the driver for the Razer Tarantula Keyboard before you installed the Razer Lycosa keyboard?

#7 Joe C

Joe C

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • 18,957 posts

Posted 31 August 2009 - 09:23 AM

are you using the latest driver?

Razer Lycosa Keyboard Driver 2.04 description

Fixes:

Bugs Fixes on:
- Changing the user account to either guest or limited, will cause the driver to malfunction
- Media keys minimize games. When Media key pressed, the game minimizes
- Driver does not reset to factory default when the Razer logo is pressed for 15secs

It is highly recommended to always use the most recent driver version available.

Do not forget to check with our site as often as possible in order to stay updated on the latest drivers, software and games.

Try to set a system restore point before installing a device driver. This will help if you installed a wrong driver. Problems can arise when your hardware device is too old or not supported any longer.

http://drivers.softp...river-204.shtml

#8 AkSokSan

AkSokSan

• Members
  • 48 posts

Posted 01 September 2009 - 11:50 AM

Thanks for the help Joe. I didn't have the Tarantula Driver installed, that was on my old computer. So the Lycosa Driver was the only one on here first. Then, to test the Tarantula as well, I removed the Lycosa Driver, then installed the Tarantula one. However, I was just checking what Lycosa Driver I was running, and now it tells me: "Windows-hostprocess (rundll32) doesn't work. Missing or having a not-working rundll32 is often associated with a virus, but I'm sure I'm virus-free. So I guess I should be looking into fixing that rundll32 first...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users