Internet goes on and off

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 pauldfc

pauldfc

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 07:04 AM

Hello Please help, im at my wits end. I have recently moved back in with my parents as i have just finished university. I have my computer in my room and have connected to the Unsecure wireless network in the house. The connection is strong but it goes onn and off every ten seconds. The connection is running smoothly then goes off altogether, then repeats. I use a belkin54g adapter to connect which isnt old. I have an iphone which has no problems connecting to the wireless router in the house, so cant seeing it being a problem with the signal or the wireless broadband. Any ideas?? thanks for any help. Paul Young

#2 nigsy

nigsy

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 3,506 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 09:30 AM

:wp: First, have you tried a wired connection to the router to see if its a stable connection. That would rule out probs with your network card, but would point to an issue with your wireless adapter. Is the belkin adaptor an internal card or a usb adaptor? What kind of signal strength are you getting when it is connected? If it's USB could be a dodgy port. Can you use your Iphone as a router?? If you can, and the connection is stable, then it's your wireless card!!

The South-West Will Rise Again

Mebyon Kernow - Voice Of Cornwall

#3 pauldfc

pauldfc

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 12:54 PM

:wp:

First, have you tried a wired connection to the router to see if its a stable connection. That would rule out probs with your network card, but would point to an issue with your wireless adapter.
Is the belkin adaptor an internal card or a usb adaptor?
What kind of signal strength are you getting when it is connected?
If it's USB could be a dodgy port.

Can you use your Iphone as a router??
If you can, and the connection is stable, then it's your wireless card!!

Yeah i have tried wiring it up and it has a stable connection. The belking adaptor is a usb adaptor. The signal is excellent as there is only a wall seperating. The wirless card is not old. It says when its offline the IPV6 is limited. Does that mean something? I have a freeview in my room. does that have any implications? When im writing this it seems to have a stable connection. but it was like that last night then when i woke up this morning i had to reinstall the usb adaptor driver.

I hate wireless!!! So annoying its just a wall seperating. lol

#4 nigsy

nigsy

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 3,506 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 02:22 AM

Freeview won't effect the wireless signal!! The IPV6 message is simply that it is not connected to the internet and only has local connectivity, telling you what you already know, I guess. If I am reading this right, you have both a wireless card and a usb adaptor?? Have a look in your network connections and disable the wireless card so you are only running on the adaptor, think it might be a conflict. I have seen a similar thing when people instal the 3G wireless USB dongles, even though their PC has wireless capabilities (Laptops mainly), then they refuse to connect to the home network, instead always go to the 3G network.

#5 pauldfc

pauldfc

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 05:47 AM

Hello No i do not have another network card internally as i use a desktop. I do however have Hamachi installed so i can play online games with mates. I also have another thing called NVIDEA Nforce networking controller. i do not know what that is. Last night the internet worked well, i thought maybe something had fallen into place. Stable connection all night. This morning i start computer up again and same problems.

#6 nigsy

nigsy

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 3,506 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 06:24 AM

Have a look here,

Nvida Driver

Someone having a simmilar issue with their connection, but there does seem to be a fix about 1/2 way down the page.

I'm not sure this is you problem though as when wired you have no issues.
Are you able to try the Belkin device on another PC to see if it gives the same problems??

#7 pauldfc

pauldfc

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 05:08 PM

I read somewhere about antivirus software could be the problem so exited the AVG i had running and my connection is stable now. I will try this tommorow and see what happens Fingures crossed Thanks for your help mate. ill let you know Paul

#8 pauldfc

pauldfc

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 12 June 2009 - 09:25 AM

the problem wasnt the AVg antivirus it was the Virgin media (cable internet) software that was running. this was needed for my interent connection in my flat while at university. Unistalled this and it worked perfectly.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users