• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#21 IntelGuy

IntelGuy

Yeah, it's pretty, but can it go fast?

• Admins
  • 20,190 posts

Posted 07 June 2009 - 09:00 PM

The issue does not seem to be with running Active X controls, it seems to be with downloading Active X controls.

If the Active X test ran without asking for an Active X download either through a permission bar or a download box such as this one:

Posted Image

then the specific Active X control for that test, mhLabel Class, must already be installed on the computer, even though it is not showing in Downloaded program files by that name. Are there any .dll files in that folder with PCPitstop in their name?

... avoid foolish controversies and ... strife and disputes ..., for they are unprofitable and worthless. Titus 3:9 NASB

#22 locome

locome

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 08 June 2009 - 07:27 AM

The issue does not seem to be with running Active X controls, it seems to be with downloading Active X controls.

If the Active X test ran without asking for an Active X download either through a permission bar or a download box such as this one:

Posted Image

then the specific Active X control for that test, mhLabel Class, must already be installed on the computer, even though it is not showing in Downloaded program files by that name. Are there any .dll files in that folder with PCPitstop in their name?

I have nothing in my Downloaded program files labeled PCPitstop.

#23 IntelGuy

IntelGuy

• Admins
  • 20,190 posts

Posted 08 June 2009 - 03:15 PM

To verify that we are on the same page, the screen shot shows the path to the folder that should have the Active X controls:

Posted Image

Is that the same folder you are seeing?

... avoid foolish controversies and ... strife and disputes ..., for they are unprofitable and worthless. Titus 3:9 NASB

#24 locome

locome

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 08:48 PM

To verify that we are on the same page, the screen shot shows the path to the folder that should have the Active X controls:

Posted Image

Is that the same folder you are seeing?

Yes, this is the same folder I'm in ... Downloaded Program Files.

#25 IntelGuy

IntelGuy

• Admins
  • 20,190 posts

Posted 11 June 2009 - 01:48 AM

Here's where we are at:

1) The PC Pitstop Utility will not download/install
2) A manual search and deletion says it is not on the computer
3) The Active X test shows that Active X is working on the computer
4) The Active X test uses the control named mhLabel Class, which must be on the computer or the test would not run.
5) The folder where mhLabeL Class resides does not display it as being present

At this point it is looking like something or some program has hosed the Active X function on the computer.
What version of IE is installed? Did it update to IE8 around the time OverDrive quit working?

Please do a manual search for MHLBL.DLL with hidden files and folders enabled and see if it can be found.

You can also run the Windows registry repair tool from the link below:

http://files.pcpitst...air-ActiveX.cmd

It does not delete any files, it just re-registers all the 'stock' Windows DLL's.

#26 locome

locome

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 11 June 2009 - 08:55 AM

Here's where we are at:

1) The PC Pitstop Utility will not download/install
2) A manual search and deletion says it is not on the computer
3) The Active X test shows that Active X is working on the computer
4) The Active X test uses the control named mhLabel Class, which must be on the computer or the test would not run.
5) The folder where mhLabeL Class resides does not display it as being present

At this point it is looking like something or some program has hosed the Active X function on the computer.
What version of IE is installed? Did it update to IE8 around the time OverDrive quit working?

Please do a manual search for MHLBL.DLL with hidden files and folders enabled and see if it can be found.

You can also run the Windows registry repair tool from the link below:

http://files.pcpitst...air-ActiveX.cmd

It does not delete any files, it just re-registers all the 'stock' Windows DLL's.

I had already done a search for MHLBL.DLL n it is not there. I am running IE7 ... I have not updated to IE8. I ran the repair tool you provided.

#27 IntelGuy

IntelGuy

• Admins
  • 20,190 posts

Posted 11 June 2009 - 06:24 PM

I'm pretty much out of ideas. MHLBL.DLL has to be on the computer or the Active X test will not run, and it does. There is obviously something going on with the Active X, but at this point I'm reduced to suggesting a repair install of Windows:

http://www.informati...cleID=189400897

http://www.michaelst...pairinstall.htm

Before investigating that possibility, you could try downloading some of our free scans such as Optimize 3.0, Driver Alert, DiskMD, etc, and see if the Active X controls install for them. However, if you have already downloaded these in the past, the Active X control should still be on the computer and the program should run without requesting a new download. That will at least narrow it down to a specific problem with the PCPitstop Utility, or with Active X in general.

If one does ask to download an Active X control and does so successfully, the Active X control should then be showing in the folder at My Computer>Local Disk C:>Windows>Downloaded Program Files.

#28 locome

locome

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 12 June 2009 - 10:19 AM

I'm pretty much out of ideas. MHLBL.DLL has to be on the computer or the Active X test will not run, and it does. There is obviously something going on with the Active X, but at this point I'm reduced to suggesting a repair install of Windows:

http://www.informati...cleID=189400897

http://www.michaelst...pairinstall.htm

Before investigating that possibility, you could try downloading some of our free scans such as Optimize 3.0, Driver Alert, DiskMD, etc, and see if the Active X controls install for them. However, if you have already downloaded these in the past, the Active X control should still be on the computer and the program should run without requesting a new download. That will at least narrow it down to a specific problem with the PCPitstop Utility, or with Active X in general.

If one does ask to download an Active X control and does so successfully, the Active X control should then be showing in the folder at My Computer>Local Disk C:>Windows>Downloaded Program Files.

I had no problem downloading Optimize 3.0 n the Active X to do the free scan. This tells me there is a problem with the PCPitstop Utility or Active X for these tests. I don't have any problems downloading Active X controls for anything else. Needless to say, I will NOT be doing a repair install of Windows when it's a problem with Pitstop n not my computer.

#29 IntelGuy

IntelGuy

• Admins
  • 20,190 posts

Posted 12 June 2009 - 04:26 PM

PCPitstop does over 7,000 OverDrive scans a day. If the problem were with the PC Pitstop Active X control we would have more than this one report of the issue. We would be buried in them. Can you now see PCPitstop Exam in the folder at C:>Windows>Downloaded Program Files? Driver Alert uses the same Active X control as OverDrive. What happened when you tried to run a free Driver Alert scan?

#30 locome

locome

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 14 June 2009 - 05:24 AM

PCPitstop does over 7,000 OverDrive scans a day. If the problem were with the PC Pitstop Active X control we would have more than this one report of the issue. We would be buried in them.

Can you now see PCPitstop Exam in the folder at C:>Windows>Downloaded Program Files?

Driver Alert uses the same Active X control as OverDrive. What happened when you tried to run a free Driver Alert scan?

Yes I have PCPitstop Exam in my folder Downloaded Program Files. When I did the free Driver Alert scan it downloaded the Active X control n that's in the folder too. So I tried to run the Pitstop Tests. I now have the same problem I had before ... n OUTDATED Active X control (Current Version is 205 n I have 196)

I'm told to remove it n download the correct one, which is what I've been trying to do for almost 6 months. So much for Driver Alert having the same Active X control as what I need to run the tests :nono:

#31 locome

locome

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 14 June 2009 - 06:21 AM

:clap: OK, I've figure it out. I can't run the NEW tests for some reason. That's what you have to figure out, IntelGuy. Why I can't seem to download the right Active X control 205. I can only run the OLD tests. Thank goodness I looked at someone elses post.

I think I'm bald from pulling my hair out on this one. LOL

#32 IntelGuy

IntelGuy

• Admins
  • 20,190 posts

Posted 14 June 2009 - 04:59 PM

OverDrive and Driver Alert do use the same Active X control, PC Pitstop Utility. OverDrive will not progress to a scan without the latest version, Driver Alert is not version sensitive. Installing Driver Alert was simply to test if the PC Pitstop Utility could be downloaded and installed successfully. The difference is that OverDrive downloads through the browser and Driver Alert bypasses the browser and downloads directly. So we have come full circle back to it being a browser issue. You mentioned a couple of times that you manually removed the Active X controls previously. What procedure did you use to do that? Can you now see PCPitstop Utility in the folder at C:>Windows>Downloaded Program Files? If it is visible (if Driver Alert scans, PC Pitstop Utility is there whether it is visible or not) you should be able to right-click on it and select 'Remove'. Running OverDrive should then display a message that it could not download the Active X control. If you then run Driver alert again, it will download version 196 and trying to run OverDrive will display a message that the Active X control is out of date and downloading a new version failed. If that is what happens, that will be verification that the problem only exists when trying to download through the browser, indicating either a damaged browser or an issue with the Active X settings. Maxthon is based on the same Internet Explorer browser engine, Trident, so it is entirely possibly that whatever is broken in IE will also affect Maxthon.

#33 likelife

likelife

• Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 14 June 2009 - 08:06 PM

why did my post get delted,did i do/say somthing wrong? or where you just cleaning up? give my till t/m eaving (uk time) to read this your reply if you are just trying to keep this thread small. (before you remove this one,if thats the reason) if not can you tell me what i diid or said please,so i dont repeat it. thank you.

Edited by likelife, 14 June 2009 - 08:10 PM.

#34 IntelGuy

IntelGuy

• Admins
  • 20,190 posts

Posted 15 June 2009 - 12:07 AM

why did my post get delted,did i do/say somthing wrong?
or where you just cleaning up?

give my till t/m eaving (uk time) to read this your reply if you are just trying to keep this thread small.
(before you remove this one,if thats the reason)

if not can you tell me what i diid or said please,so i dont repeat it.
thank you.

My sincerest apologies. :blushing: I started a new topic for you here:

http://forums.pcpits...howtopic=169603

It was my intent to send you a personal message with a link to the new topic, but as you are asking if your post was deleted, I obviously failed to do so.

I'm very sorry. :surrender:

#35 locome

locome

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 17 June 2009 - 05:18 AM

OverDrive and Driver Alert do use the same Active X control, PC Pitstop Utility. OverDrive will not progress to a scan without the latest version, Driver Alert is not version sensitive. Installing Driver Alert was simply to test if the PC Pitstop Utility could be downloaded and installed successfully.

The difference is that OverDrive downloads through the browser and Driver Alert bypasses the browser and downloads directly. So we have come full circle back to it being a browser issue. You mentioned a couple of times that you manually removed the Active X controls previously. What procedure did you use to do that?

Can you now see PCPitstop Utility in the folder at C:>Windows>Downloaded Program Files?

If it is visible (if Driver Alert scans, PC Pitstop Utility is there whether it is visible or not) you should be able to right-click on it and select 'Remove'. Running OverDrive should then display a message that it could not download the Active X control. If you then run Driver alert again, it will download version 196 and trying to run OverDrive will display a message that the Active X control is out of date and downloading a new version failed.

If that is what happens, that will be verification that the problem only exists when trying to download through the browser, indicating either a damaged browser or an issue with the Active X settings. Maxthon is based on the same Internet Explorer browser engine, Trident, so it is entirely possibly that whatever is broken in IE will also affect Maxthon.

IntelGuy ... Yes I have the PCPitstop Utility is in my Downloaded Program Files. Everything you have have stated is true. I can't download the latest Active X ... only version 196 NOT version 205 which is what I need.

So what do we do now.

#36 IntelGuy

IntelGuy

• Admins
  • 20,190 posts

Posted 19 June 2009 - 01:50 AM

OK, I could not reproduce the issue without changing the browser settngs, but I may at least have a work-around.

1) First off, open IE7 and go to Tools>Internet Options>Security>Custom Level and verify that "Dowload signed Active X controls" is set to either prompt (preferred) or enabled.

2) While you're there, click on the Trusted Zones icon and add pcpitstop.com.

3) If the browser still won't download the PC Pitstop Utility, go back to Tools>Internet Options> and click the button to reset all of the security zones to default.

4) Still a no go on the download, reinstall IE7 or install IE8.

If all of the above options fail, the work-around that should at least allow OverDrive to run is to download the zipped file from this link:

http://www.fileden.c...erDriveDLLs.zip

Use the 'Save' option to put it on the desktop, then right-click on the file and select 'Extract All'. Once the folder is extracted, click on it to open it and find the file named pcpitstop.dll.

Copy/move pcpitstop.dll to C:\Windows\System32. It needs to be inside the System32 folder.

Now open a command prompt (Start>Run>cmd>enter) and type the following commands, hitting the 'Enter' key after each one:

cd\

regsvr32 pcpitstop.dll

You should get a confirmation that the file was successfully registered. If so, try running OverDrive again.
(The version in Downloaded Program Files will still show as 196, but if OverDrive runs, 205 was registered.

#37 locome

locome

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 20 June 2009 - 01:05 AM

OK, I could not reproduce the issue without changing the browser settngs, but I may at least have a work-around.

1) First off, open IE7 and go to Tools>Internet Options>Security>Custom Level and verify that "Dowload signed Active X controls" is set to either prompt (preferred) or enabled.

2) While you're there, click on the Trusted Zones icon and add pcpitstop.com.

3) If the browser still won't download the PC Pitstop Utility, go back to Tools>Internet Options> and click the button to reset all of the security zones to default.

4) Still a no go on the download, reinstall IE7 or install IE8.

If all of the above options fail, the work-around that should at least allow OverDrive to run is to download the zipped file from this link:

http://www.fileden.c...erDriveDLLs.zip

Use the 'Save' option to put it on the desktop, then right-click on the file and select 'Extract All'. Once the folder is extracted, click on it to open it and find the file named pcpitstop.dll.

Copy/move pcpitstop.dll to C:\Windows\System32. It needs to be inside the System32 folder.

Now open a command prompt (Start>Run>cmd>enter) and type the following commands, hitting the 'Enter' key after each one:

cd\

regsvr32 pcpitstop.dll

You should get a confirmation that the file was successfully registered. If so, try running OverDrive again.
(The version in Downloaded Program Files will still show as 196, but if OverDrive runs, 205 was registered.

:clap: You did it!! WooHoo!! I put it in from the work-a-round n it worked. You da Man IntelGuy :tup: Thanx so much for hangin in there with me. I don't know where I was looking today, that I couldn't find my posts. I guess I was under the wrong topic. Sorry bout that.

We can finally mark this SOLVED ~~~

Edited by locome, 20 June 2009 - 01:11 AM.

#38 IntelGuy

IntelGuy

• Admins
  • 20,190 posts

Posted 20 June 2009 - 10:17 AM

Glad to her that got it going, but until the downloading through the browser issue is resolved, the work-around is only good until the next OverDrive update. See you then. :adios:

#39 locome

locome

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 22 June 2009 - 07:44 AM

Glad to her that got it going, but until the downloading through the browser issue is resolved, the work-around is only good until the next OverDrive update. See you then. :adios:

Oops, I forgot about that :P Let's hope it will be a while. Take care my friend :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users