Photo

Can I Delete the NetGroup Packet Filter Driver?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 mjd7

mjd7

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 19 April 2009 - 02:03 PM

When I boot up my PC, I keep getting the Found New hardware Wizard window, saying the wizard will help me install software for NetGroup Packet Filter Driver. It says "What do you want the wizard to do?" - - Install the software automatically (Recommended) or - Install from a list or specific location (Advanced) I always keep hitting Cancel on the wizard. But of course the Wizard keeps popping back up everytime I boot up. Question#1: How can I stop this Found New Hardware Wizard from popping up everytime at boot-up? Futhermore, I don't know if I need/want the NetGroup Packet Filter Driver. I think it may have gotten loaded during my recent battle with viruses. (That's a whole 'nother story I'll probably be asking about later). In Device Manager, I can see NetGroup Packet Filter Driver listed under Other devices. I can see I have the file BCMWLNPF.SYS on my system in C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS but I don't see the npf.sys file anywhere. Question#2: Do I need this NetGroup Packet Filter Driver for the proper running of my PC or can I delete/uninstall it? (I have a Dell Inspiron 9100 laptop, running Windows XP Home edition, SP3). Appreciate any and all help from the wise people on this forum. Thanks.

#2 Jacee

Jacee

Madam Admin <aka> Maude

• Admins
  • 27,858 posts

Posted 20 April 2009 - 07:49 PM

BCMWLNPF.SYS
This is for a Broadcom wireless driver. If you have WinPcap installed, it uses the driver.

Also, see this about NetGroup Packet Filter Driver
http://www.bleepingc....sys-16912.html

MS - MVP Consumer Security 2006 thru 2014

#3 mjd7

mjd7

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 April 2009 - 08:55 PM

BCMWLNPF.SYS
This is for a Broadcom wireless driver. If you have WinPcap installed, it uses the driver.

Also, see this about NetGroup Packet Filter Driver
http://www.bleepingc....sys-16912.html

OK, I think I'm OK with the Broadcom wireless driver.

But for this NetGroup Packet Filter Driver, do I need it if I don't have WinPcap installed?
Do I need WinPcap? How do I check?

Yes, I previously saw that info on bleepingcomputer. I think I got this attempt to install
the NetGroup Packet Filter Driver through malware.

Anyway, I don't have the npf.sys file in C:\Windows\System32\drivers\, so I don't think the driver is
completely installed. I think that's why I'm getting the New Hardware Found Wizard -
I think it wants me to continue with the install process by wanting to load some software or something.

But when I attempt to continue installing the NetGroup Packet Filter Driver through the wizard,
it asks for a disc. I don't have a disc of course because I didn't request this install.

How do I stop the wizard from popping up every day?

Thanks again.

#4 Jacee

Jacee

Madam Admin <aka> Maude

• Admins
  • 27,858 posts

Posted 20 April 2009 - 11:22 PM

I'm going to move your topic to "User to User Help ... as far as I can see, this is not a Virus, Spyware, or Adware problem. :adios:

MS - MVP Consumer Security 2006 thru 2014

#5 Doug

Doug

Attitudes are contagious....... Is yours worth catching?

• Anti-Spyware Brigade
  • 5,918 posts

Posted 20 April 2009 - 11:58 PM

Hi mjd7,

Give this a try:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301

Though we cannot change the direction of the wind,
We may adjust our sails.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users