Boot Up CD (Sony Vaio VGN-FW139E)

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 matta

matta

• Members
  • 63 posts

Posted 12 April 2009 - 06:06 PM

I posted all over plus asked my own IT teachers and talked to 3 different tech support dummies from Sony Vaio tech support. No one has yet figured out the issue. Nothing I never seen before in my lifetime. Issue: Sony Vaio has a downgrade option to Windows XP from Vista. I use the same boot disk on my other system plus others and nothing. I even tried Ultimate Boot CD and nothing. They both work fine on other systems. The drive itself works great when booted up in Windows. It burns, read, etc. Yes I have checked the BIOS for boot from CD nothing. BIOS Setup: 1st Priority: CD/DVD 2nd Priority: Hard Disk 3rd Priority: External Device I tried pushing f10, f11, f12 to see if I would even get a boot select option or anything and no. No option to even boot from the CD/DVD. Just shows the Vaio splash than loads Windows. Do you guys have any clues? matta

#2 tw2

tw2

Advanced Member

• Anti-Spyware Brigade
  • 2,271 posts

Posted 13 April 2009 - 06:00 PM

well, if you got this second hand, then no you might not be able to go back to XP from Vista. But turn it off and on the boot up keep hitting the F-11 key to start the restorer,See if it give you the option to change back to XP , if not your stuck with vista home basic till you buy the XP disk, Make sure before you try to burn a drivers disk for your laptop.. Bruce

#3 matta

matta

• Members
  • 63 posts

Posted 13 April 2009 - 09:57 PM

well, if you got this second hand, then no you might not be able to go back to XP from Vista.
But turn it off and on the boot up keep hitting the F-11 key to start the restorer,See if it give you the option to change back to XP , if not your stuck with vista home basic till you buy the XP disk, Make sure before you try to burn a drivers disk for your laptop..
Bruce

I have Windows XP Professional SP2 official disk. I also have Windows XP Home official disk.

#4 tw2

tw2

Advanced Member

• Anti-Spyware Brigade
  • 2,271 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 11:45 AM

I have Windows XP Professional SP2 official disk. I also have Windows XP Home official disk.

OK you have the disks,now back to your problem,ok i just grabed my sony put and i have to ask when booting into bios,did you use the first screen that showed up that list your drives? if so try entering your bios
then set up the boot options. see if that helps you.
what i`m understanding is you can`t get the XP disk to load on boot up.and with vista loaded it might not let you till you format the hard drive vista is newer then XP so this might be one factor your having issues with,
And as i said before make sure you make a drivers disk..laptops use they own drivers .or go to sony and get them all downloaded and burned.without the right drivers the laptop will not run,you might ened up with a black display ot no sound,i think you get it..
good luck, will check back to see if you got it.
Bruce

#5 kd5

kd5

Format Junky and

• Anti-Spyware Brigade
  • 15,016 posts

Posted 15 April 2009 - 07:23 AM

Sony Vaio has a downgrade option to Windows XP from Vista.

BIOS Setup:

1st Priority: CD/DVD
2nd Priority: Hard Disk
3rd Priority: External Device

If Vista came pre-installed on your laptop, you more than likely have the product key sticker on the bottom of the laptop for Windows Vista, in which case even if you were able to get one of your official XP disks to work you wouldn't have a valid product key for that specific computer (XP is keyed to the hardware configuration in a specific computer and that key is not supposed to be able to be used on other computers). You said Sony provided a downgrade option to XP, how did they intend for you to be able to do that? Maybe you should get with Sony and iron that out... :shrug:

It appears that your boot order is set correctly, there is no reason your XP disk or UBCD shouldn't boot with that order, especially since you said the CD drive works fine within Windows.

You will probably get more help if this thread was in User To User Help than in Tech Talk, I'll move it over there for you and leave a redirect here so you can find it... ;) -kd5-
Time is the fire in which we burn. (Soran)

#6 mouse

mouse

Advanced Member

• The SWAT Team
  • 9,331 posts

Posted 15 April 2009 - 12:12 PM

Usually there are two places in the bios to set drive priority the second one is under a tab in the bios called boot up. That's where you have to set cd/dvd drive to boot. Any computer once set to boot from cd/dvd will then boot to an XP disk.
Now the downgrade will work but you must have an unused cd key for XP in order to be be able to activate the operating system.
The biggest problem will be XP drivers for your system Sony should provide them.

Example I bought an HP laptop that came with Vista pre-installed and that computer did not come with a downgrade option. Installing XP wasn't a problem but finding drivers that would work was a big problem which I was able to solve.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users