Internet Connection Drop Outs ?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Silverfox1

Silverfox1

• Members
  • 73 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 01:25 PM

Intel P4 2.4 Ghz, 2 gig ram, Nividia 6200, Antec 480PSU WKP Home SP/2 IE 6.0 AVG 8.5.283 & SP2 Firewall Google Chrome Comcast Broadband Here recently over the past month I have been experiencing losing my internet connection intermittenly for no apparent reason to my knowledge. It happens at differnet times and is independent on which website I may be on or whether I am using IE 6.0 or Google Chrome as the browser. The enet light on my modem will simply quit blinking and go to a solid state. If i shut the pc down the modem light immediately starts blinking again and when i boot back up everything is fine until after a indertiminate time it disconnects again. I have called Comcast my isp client provider and of course they say everything is fine when they ping the connection so they are totally useless. All of my windows updates are uptodate. I have turned system restore off and run full scans with AVG 8.5, Uninstalled AVG, installed Avast 4.8 & ran a thourough scan, uninstalled Avast & installed Avira & ran full scan, also full scans with Malwarebytes, SuperAntispyware, Adaware Se, and have found nothing that has resolved the situation. This happens even with no virus app installed and before I had Google Chrome installed. Last week I had Juliet one of the HJT advisors here on this forum help me resolve an issue with about:blank popping up when clicking on various tabs within sites and she helped me out with that issue by submitting a HJT log file, running combofix, etc. and resolved that issue. The internet connection dropping out was already occurring before she helped me with the about:blank issue. I have 8 svchosts running in task manager and none of them are using an excess of cpu usage. Of course I dont know what all 8 svchosts are. CPU,GPU pc temps are fine and inside is free of all dust. I have reseated all hardware components in MB slots. What should I look for in event viewer when this happens or in ms services? Could someone possibly help me out with this problem ? Regards & Thanks for any replys :)

#2 Joe C

Joe C

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • 18,957 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 01:35 PM

are you using a router? try updating your ethernet device drivers

#3 Silverfox1

Silverfox1

• Members
  • 73 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 04:57 PM

are you using a router?
try updating your ethernet device drivers

I am not using a router. This is the only computer in the home.

Around 5 months back I switched out the Comcast provided modem to try & resolve the issue when drop-outs occurred back then. The problem has persisted over quite a period of time and sometimes would not occur for several weeks and has just over the last month started dropping out more frequently. Thus the request for some help or ideas from the forum.

Today after writing the inital post I had a Comcast Tech come out and check for packet loss, etc. at the home location. Everything looked good to him but he went ahead and switched the modem out to a different brand to see if another modem brand would rectify the intermittent drop out problem.

I have just now got back on the computer typing this response since the Comcast Tech left so we will see if the problem occurs again.

In reference to you mentioning the ethernet device drivers, I have a Gateway manufactured computer with an Intel motherboard that has the network adapter device built into the Intel MB where the ethernet cable plugs into it in the rear of the HD case from the Comcast modem. It is an [ Intel ® Pro/100 VE Network Connection]

When I go to Control Panel/ Network Connections and open it, then right-click on the Local area connection under Lan & Hi Speed Connections, I can go to configure the Intel Pro /100 VE Network and update the current driver which states 12/6/2007 Version 8.0.47.0, but I have not done this as of yet.

If the drop out occurs again after the todays modem switch do you suggest I attempt to update the Intel Network driver? I have not had any MS updates indicating to update the current driver since late 2007 so I dont know if there is a more current driver then the one I have now.

Thanks for your reply :)

#4 allen41547

allen41547

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • 4,155 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 05:38 PM

Intel says newest drivers are here 12/19/08~~ http://downloadcente.....mp;submit=Go!

#5 Silverfox1

Silverfox1

• Members
  • 73 posts

Posted 01 April 2009 - 09:21 PM

Intel says newest drivers are here 12/19/08~~ http://downloadcente.....mp;submit=Go!

Thanks for the intel direct link. If I experience another drop-out I will install these latest drivers to see if the problem would be solved.

So far knock on wood a drop-out has not occurred since the new modem was changed out today by the Comcast technician. Although I have not done alot of surfing yet either since the modem switch.

Regards, :adios:

#6 Silverfox1

Silverfox1

• Members
  • 73 posts

Posted 05 April 2009 - 07:59 AM

Well, unfortunately the intermittent dropouts have re-occurred. :h3lp:

While surfing and the connection drops I do not get the Local Area Connection tray icon indicator. I just lose my internet link.

It is not the SP2 firewall causing this since I disabled it and I still get the drop-out when surfing very safe sites. I have now turned it back on. It also occurs with no virus app installed.

When the drop-out happens i can go to Control Panel, click on the Intel PROSet II icon and run the Diagnostics test which consist of 5 tests. When it starts the test i see the [Local Area Connection tray icon popup indicating a network cable is unplugged] but this a normal procedure when the tests are ran. [Of course Im already disconnected] After this link test is run & all 5 tests have passed then the internet connection is back to working until I go surfing again and it decides to drop for whatever reason. The only other way to re-connect to the internet is to re-boot the pc. Resetting the cable modem or simply logging-off the pc does not re-connect the internet.

I went to the above suggested Intel site and d\l the latest driver version depicted on this site to my desktop.
Even though my pc is a Gateway with the Intel adapter built-in to the MB and these latest are generic type drivers will they still work allright?

Do i just left click on the PRO2XP icon d\l on the desktop and install these latest drivers over the ones in the pc at present? Or should I go to the device manger, uninstall the existing, & then install these new ones?

Sorry for all the questions but I have never had this internet connection drop-out problem before. :pullhair:

Regards & Thanks for any replys :)

Edited by Silverfox1, 05 April 2009 - 08:02 AM.

#7 gwhiz1time205

gwhiz1time205

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 09 April 2009 - 10:57 AM

I will suggest you speak to any neighbors you may have that have Comcast as their ISP and see if they too are experiencing the intermittent problem you are having. That said, brighthouse and comcast are notorious for poor cable routing in neighborhoods. If a buried cable for example has a nick in the insulating jacket of the cable, it can cause exactly what you are experiencing. A tech can ping the line and everything check fine, if however they just happened to have their test set connected at the time they could see the dropout, and then pursue the problem. Also techs do not always check for noise on the cable which can cause the same problem. Yor cable modem sees the noise or the momentary interruption of the signal as a fault and disconnects, which drops your internet connection. The problem you are having is far more common than you might think. Aerial cables are subject to insulation failures just as buried cables are. Your problem is so difficult to locate, that techs tend to ignore the problem until it fails completely; then it is a comparatively simple matter to track the problem. I have battled the thing you are experiencing at different locations around the USA, with Comcast and with Brighthouse. I was discussing the problem with one of my sons; who happens to be an engineer with Comcast, and he set me on the path to get the problems resolved. Take heart; the Squeeky wheel gets the grease. Just keep complaining and getting field techs out to your place, eventually they will find the source of your problem. Service managers get pretty tough after 3,4,5 or 10 service calls and want the problem resolved too. I know it's not much consolation, but this is my experience and input from my son. I wish you well.

#8 Silverfox1

Silverfox1

• Members
  • 73 posts

Posted 09 April 2009 - 11:06 PM

Thanks for your reply. I finally & possibly fixed the problem. I did switch over to another idle HD i had in the pc. Updated this new HD to sp3.0 & IE7.0 and it ALL ran fine for awhile and then the same drop-outs began occurring just like with the original HD. I did the HD swap just to make sure there was not a hidden virus or malware problem in the original HD even though I never found anything. I DISABLED Ipsec services and the dropouts were resolved. This service to my knowledge is very seldom needed on a single home user pc. In task manger it is listed as [ lsass.exe ] I noticed in the event viewer with this secondary HD the event ID: 615 which results in a failure audit. I have had this pc since 2002 with the exact same broadband client server and to my memory have always had the Ipsec services enabled & in automatic for start-up, but this is the first time I have ever had any problems. But your right in the fact that Comcast may have commenced doing something different within there server that started this problem for me. Hopefully I have resolved this issue with fingers crossed ! :clap: Regards,

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users