Photo

whats the difference between A MAC BOOK and a PLAIN LAPTOP?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 chix2120

chix2120

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 12 March 2009 - 08:37 PM

ive been wondering, there have been a lot of new gadgets and technology selling out in the market. but the thing it that i cant get the idea why people are so into MAC BOOKS now... why is that? i mean whats the difference between a plain laptop and a mac book?

#2 Bruce

Bruce

Geezer

• Grand Poobah
  • 42,498 posts

Posted 13 March 2009 - 06:31 AM

MAC OSX is the main difference between a MACBOOK and a windows laptop. The hardware inside isn't all that different, the operating system is the main difference.

http://itsyourpc.org

Microsoft blew its right foot off with Windows 8.
They went to the doctor to get it reattached with Windows 8.1 only to wake up to find out that a second left foot was attached in place.

#3 wdeydwondrer

wdeydwondrer

who dat gonna beat dem saints

• Advanced Member
  • 9,250 posts

Posted 15 March 2009 - 10:01 AM

that and about a thousand dollars, lol i couldn't believe the price of these things when i was looking at getting a new lappy last year.

#4 all4sma

all4sma

• Anti-Spyware Brigade
  • 4,015 posts

Posted 15 March 2009 - 02:40 PM

The biggest difference as Bruce pointed out is Mac OS. The hardware is about as good as you can get in a notebook. Apple's support is top notch. ... and they're pretty. :) While you do pay a bit more up front, their overall cost of ownership compared to a decent windows (Not including the sub-$600 garbage out there) machine is comparable. If you can afford one, I'd highly recommend 'em.

#5 wdeydwondrer

wdeydwondrer

who dat gonna beat dem saints

• Advanced Member
  • 9,250 posts

Posted 16 March 2009 - 04:50 AM

hey now, now you're talking about my lappy

#6 Bruce

Bruce

Geezer

• Grand Poobah
  • 42,498 posts

Posted 16 March 2009 - 08:34 AM

The biggest difference as Bruce pointed out is Mac OS.

The hardware is about as good as you can get in a notebook.

Apple's support is top notch.

... and they're pretty. :)

While you do pay a bit more up front, their overall cost of ownership compared to a decent windows (Not including the sub-$600 garbage out there) machine is comparable.

If you can afford one, I'd highly recommend 'em.

While I don't have an Apple Laptop, I can attest to their top notch support.

I had one here one time that needed a hard drive, I called Apple and was astounded at their support service.

I have over the years called other companies.

Unlike those other companies, I got through immediately, got to speak with someone who speak clear and understandable English, and the person was actually extremely knowledgeable about the hardware and the operating system.

It was without a doubt the only time I have ever had such an experience with a computer manufacturer.

http://itsyourpc.org

Microsoft blew its right foot off with Windows 8.
They went to the doctor to get it reattached with Windows 8.1 only to wake up to find out that a second left foot was attached in place.

#7 el kido

el kido

yes!

• Advanced Member
  • 5,543 posts

Posted 16 March 2009 - 03:03 PM

Yep, Different Operating system and an extra buck for the name apple. Personally, I have found the only good thing about the support is their language they speak. English. Go Inside a store and ask questions about the laptop. They will go on how great it is at this and that, then ask, what kind of video card does it have and not even the tech inside the apple store knows. But hey, thats why they have the cool jobs and we dont. But yes, sure pretty! :drool:

CPU---------------Intel I7 2600k @ 4.4ghz daily Case--------------Xigmatek Elysium HD----------------G. Skill Nuetron GTX 240gb SSD GPU--------------Nvidia GTX 680 PSU---------------Corsair TX750
Motherboard-----EVGA P67 FTW RAM--------------8GB G. Skill Ripjaw X DDR3 @ 2133 Cooling----------EK Supreme HF, MCR320, MCP355 with top.

#8 king-of-no-pants

king-of-no-pants

Advanced Member

• Anti-Spyware Brigade
  • 577 posts

Posted 06 April 2009 - 09:11 PM

Apples cost more $$, but they can be worth it. The cases are mostly aluminum and are more rugged than most PCs on the market. They keyboards are very easy to type on. They have a magnetic power adapter that saves your butt should you trip over the cord. The LCD screen has an LED back light giving you exceptional clarity. And the batteries have a much longer life than traditional notebook batteries. Also the OS is different and the support is exceptional. The internal components are traditionally better parts than the trash that gets thrown into cheap PCs. Not to mention the brand name. You pay for that shiny apple on the top of the case.

#9 youngone

youngone

Advanced Member

• Anti-Spyware Brigade
  • 794 posts

Posted 20 April 2009 - 12:07 PM

i have been a windows pc user for years and i finally got my macbookpro and hands down my mac runs so much faster than any windows laptop i ever had the only reason im still using my windows desktop is because i can't afford to buy a mac desktop right now just brought i a 09 titan so the mac desktop will have to wait

#10 all4sma

all4sma

• Anti-Spyware Brigade
  • 4,015 posts

Posted 20 April 2009 - 01:18 PM

Just buy an external mouse, keyboard and display.

Use the mac notebook as your desktop. That's how I do it, anyway.

Posted Image

#11 shogan191

shogan191

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • 15,437 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 07:48 PM

About $1,000.00. Not much else.

When all else fails just do what works.

#12 Andrew S.

Andrew S.

Colonial Member

• Anti-Spyware Brigade
  • 5,486 posts

Posted 28 December 2010 - 05:56 PM

Yep, Different Operating system and an extra buck for the name apple.

Personally, I have found the only good thing about the support is their language they speak. English. Go Inside a store and ask questions about the laptop. They will go on how great it is at this and that, then ask, what kind of video card does it have and not even the tech inside the apple store knows.

But hey, thats why they have the cool jobs and we dont.
But yes, sure pretty! Posted Image

You must have had an isolated experiance - Apple staff are trained in different areas of their products. The front end staff are trained in Apps and general usage and they have a considerabe number of products to learn and simply to condemn because one of them doesnt know what the current video card in a laptop is, is unfair.

The stores also have highly trained techs on site, many of whom are also extremely conversant with both Windows and Linux. Any of these techs would have provided answers to any technical questions.
I know this because my daughter works for the local Apple store here on the Gold Coast.

She can make any Apple product jump through hoops but she would not know anything about video cards.
And no, I am not an Apple person nor is it likely that I will be in the near future but I do hold an increasing admiration for the ability of their staff.

#13 Chopdoc

Chopdoc

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • 16,657 posts

Posted 03 January 2011 - 09:21 AM

The stores also have highly trained techs on site, many of whom are also extremely conversant with both Windows and Linux.

After experiencing them several times at various locations I have found them to be, in general, less than adequate......to be kind.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users