Photo

Red Light on motherboard. Please help...

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 miissyleigh

miissyleigh

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 18 January 2009 - 11:16 PM

My boyfriend and my father had this lovely idea to mod an xbox, only problem was that they needed a computer with a sata cable in it. Mine happened to be the only one in the house and after a little of annoyingness on their side, I caved and let them use my computer on the condition that they don't kill it. They hook up the xbox to the sata cable in my computer and start up both the computer and xbox.. Both turn on just fine. When I left the room to go downstairs everything was fine. The computer was running and so was the xbox. They couldn't get my computer to see the xbox so they decided it was time to give up on trying to mod it. They shut down the xbox then the computer and unhooked the xbox from my sata cable and connected the sata cable back up to where it should of been. When trying to start the computer back up after everything was hooked back up a red light came on on the motherboard. Everything powered up... Fans, hard drive, cd roms, everything but the monitor.. It was like the monitor couldn't read that the computer was turned on.

Now I'll admit that I'm not a computer genius, but I'm pretty sure that there shouldn't be a red light on my motherboard that wasn't there before. I'm also pretty sure that when the computer gets turned on that the monitor should actually show the start up screen.

My dad reset the cosmos bios (I think that's right).. He unplugged the power cord from the wall, took the battery out, switched plugs from 1&2 to 2&3. Left it like that for a half hour. Put 2&3 back to 1&2. And tried to start it back up. Same thing as before. Everything powered up but the monitor wasn't seeing the computer.

Forgot to mention up there that my father almost chopped his finger off in one of the two big fans inside my computer. He swears that that is the only thing that he touched in there. The cd rom also flashes 5 times then stops flashing. The motherboard is only $60 to replace so it wont be an issue to replace the motherboard if he fried it trying to mod the xbox. But I would rather not have to replace my entire computer if it is only the motherboard.

Gateway South Lake D915GSE Motherboard 4000958
http://skyline-eng.c...product_id=5791
^There's the link for a picture of the motherboard if you need to see it.

So could somebody please tell me if I need to just replace my motherboard or if my father killed my computer and i have to replace it?

He's going to try replacing the battery tonight. If this helps any, I'll edit the post and tell you what/if anything changes.

#2 brownhornet

brownhornet

SO WHAT IF I AM A NERD

• The SWAT Team
  • 5,247 posts

Posted 18 January 2009 - 11:31 PM

are you using onboard video or a seperate stand alone video card. have you checked the monitor connection to the computer?

#3 Guest_dwfinch_*

Guest_dwfinch_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 January 2009 - 11:41 PM

Try this. And yes I know it sounds overly simple!!! Just disconnect the monitor cable from the back of your monitor (RGB or DVI), let it sit for about 5 minutes, and then reconnect your monitor cable. Then turn on your computer. I only say this because that problem happened to me once, and I called a buddy of mine, and this is what he suggested doing, and it fixed the problem. Hope it works for you to. :tup: If not, there will be other, more experienced, people coming along to help!

#4 el kido

el kido

yes!

• Advanced Member
  • 5,543 posts

Posted 18 January 2009 - 11:55 PM

Try this. And yes I know it sounds overly simple!!!

Just disconnect the monitor cable from the back of your monitor (RGB or DVI), let it sit for about 5 minutes, and then reconnect your monitor cable. Then turn on your computer.

I only say this because that problem happened to me once, and I called a buddy of mine, and this is what he suggested doing, and it fixed the problem.

Hope it works for you to. :tup:

If not, there will be other, more experienced, people coming along to help!

I say do both as above.

Nothing should have happened from connecting the xbox to the PC (which was not so smart lol)

Something must have wiggled loose so it wont boot properly. Make sure all power connections are in, like the ATX power (the 20/24 pin connector) and the 4 pin power connector are both connected to the motherboard.

It doesnt look like onboard video, so make sure the video card is adjusted right. if it IS, then make sure your ram sticks are in properly.

Onboard video gets VRAM from system ram, without system ram you dont get video. Do i make sense? :lol:

CPU---------------Intel I7 2600k @ 4.4ghz daily Case--------------Xigmatek Elysium HD----------------G. Skill Nuetron GTX 240gb SSD GPU--------------Nvidia GTX 680 PSU---------------Corsair TX750
Motherboard-----EVGA P67 FTW RAM--------------8GB G. Skill Ripjaw X DDR3 @ 2133 Cooling----------EK Supreme HF, MCR320, MCP355 with top.

#5 mme

mme

HOMELAND SECURITY. Fighting Terrorism Since 1492

• Advanced Member
  • 6,799 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 01:59 AM

heres how this one was resolved

http://forums.legitr...ut17858-40.html

#6 miissyleigh

miissyleigh

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 04:30 AM

Brownhornet: I believe it's a stand alone video card in there. And yes I have checked the monitor cables. I wish I could say that me being blonde has something to do with forgetting to check little things like this, lol, but sadly, it doesn't. I try to make sure I check all the little things before I post my issues on a forum. I don't really like to bother other people with my problems. ------- DWFinch: I'll try doing that. Hopefully it works. ------- El Kido: I know, letting them connect it to the pc wasn't the best idea. Let's just call it a blonde moment. Lol. My dads the one who always puts all of our computers together and everything so I usually leave the power connectors to him. I did ask him if he made sure he did this though, just to be on the safe side, and he said that he had. And yes, the video card/ram stuff did make sense. I can actually say that there is at least one blonde that isn't a complete moron when it comes to computers. Yay =). Lol ----- Thank all of you for your suggestions. I'll try all of them and hopefully one of these helps. I'll keep you guys posted. Any other suggestions are more than welcome =)

#7 mouse

mouse

Advanced Member

• The SWAT Team
  • 9,331 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 05:41 AM

Well a couple of things come to mind the motherboard circuits were damaged by the order in which they turned things off when their mod didn't work. They should have turned off the computer before turning off the xbox think they caused a power surge by doing it the other way. Since your getting a red light on your your motherboard it could be the motherboard is damaged, video card might have been damaged by power surge or the power supply is damaged not providing enough power any more. No need to replace the computer but it would be a good idea for your dad to troubleshoot this one.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users