How to Uninstall WOW from my PC

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Iowa_Chica

Iowa_Chica

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 December 2008 - 03:41 PM

This may seem unusual, but my former housemate installed WOW on my PC and left it on it when he left. I've never been a gamer and never probably will be and I want it gone. I have looked at the Add / Remove function in Control Panel. I have run the PCPitstop full scan. None of these things show that there's anything installed. When I look in Program Files, there is a huge folder (12.5GB) full of WOW stuff. No uninstall.exe that I could find after major searching. I was told by one "authority" to just delete the program files and eliminate the WOW launcher from my desktop and Start menu, but I'm worried about what that would do to the Registry and/or anything else including the NVIDIA GeForce 8400 GS he installed. I emailed Blizzard.com tech support and have just gotten an automatic response to date. Would appreciate advice as to what to do to get rid of this. Thanks to all.

#2 dickster

dickster

Just trying to fit in.

• Anti-Spyware Brigade
  • 14,529 posts

Posted 21 December 2008 - 04:00 PM

:wp:

Taken from the source.

If you no longer have an Uninstall option on your Windows Start Menu or in Add/Remove Program, you will need to manually delete the game folder.

From here.

http://forums.wow-eu...j...88845&sid=1
Make four wishes for yourself and work towards making them happen.

#3 Maxst2

Maxst2

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • 1,259 posts

Posted 22 December 2008 - 03:24 PM

There should be an uninstaller if you go to start> programs. If there isnt, then just manually delete it right from the program files. then if you really want to clean it up ccleaner is an excellent clean up tools. What part of Iowa are you in? Im in Omaha, NE; and have family all over in Iowa. Keep us updated if you have any issues or questions.

#4 wdeydwondrer

wdeydwondrer

who dat gonna beat dem saints

• Advanced Member
  • 9,250 posts

Posted 22 December 2008 - 05:40 PM

yup, uninstall is located in the program folder

#5 CharlieCS

CharlieCS

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 26 December 2008 - 10:17 PM

this might sound crazy BUT, try installing it again for uninstall.exe to magicly apear out of the WOW universe:D ..also i would advise running a special uninstall utility , one program that poses such utility is windows xp manager , but its only for xp as the name might have suggested, but it would get rid of all registry entries , unlike windows utility, or by clicking that damned unistall.exe lol

#6 wdeydwondrer

wdeydwondrer

• Advanced Member
  • 9,250 posts

Posted 27 December 2008 - 12:38 PM

i believe this is close to the same feature that ccleaner will perform

#7 Air

Air

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • 987 posts

Posted 14 January 2009 - 03:11 PM

WoW can be made to be portable and not need to be actually installed on the system. You can just delete the folder in the Programs folder and it will be fine.

#8 wdeydwondrer

wdeydwondrer

• Advanced Member
  • 9,250 posts

Posted 14 January 2009 - 09:41 PM

minus the leftover registry rubbish and other shortcuts care to link the site that shows WoW being portable?

#9 Air

Air

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • 987 posts

Posted 15 January 2009 - 08:09 AM

http://forums.worldo...h...30606&sid=1

Also, I was just giving an example about why the uninstall.exe and Add/Remove program entries were missing. If he copied it over from a different system and or flash drive those may not show up.

Edited by Air, 15 January 2009 - 08:13 AM.

#10 wdeydwondrer

wdeydwondrer

• Advanced Member
  • 9,250 posts

Posted 15 January 2009 - 05:17 PM

hmph, didn't know wow built the registry after luanch. that being the case, it should rebuild the uninstall option too, LOL

#11 Air

Air

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • 987 posts

Posted 15 January 2009 - 07:36 PM

hmph, didn't know wow built the registry after luanch.

that being the case, it should rebuild the uninstall option too, LOL

Should but the game settings and Uninstall info are stored in different hives. :pullhair:

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users