Toshiba Laptop Wont Boot Up

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 juicyfatslug

juicyfatslug

• Members
  • 189 posts

Posted 16 December 2008 - 12:04 PM

Hi All, A friend of mine has asked me if I can sort out her laptop, it wont boot up, when I click the on button the Toshiba screen comes on but keeps coming off and on every 2 seconds ! I can then get to a screen if i press the esc button that is black and says 'Check System.Then Press F1 key, this stays like that until I press the F1 key,if I press the F1 key I get the System set up page up but when it says do you want to exit and I press yes it just goes back to the flashing start up screen ! Any ideas what the problem might be, it is an oldish laptop a Toshiba S1410-401. Many Thanks, Nick C P.S. It has XP Home Edition installed with no disk to re install it, I have XP Media Center edition with a bootup disk installed on my home PC, The laptop has a license code could my rescue disk be installed on the laptop and use there License key to activate it or is this not possible ?,Maybe its not a Software issue at all ,any help would be appreciated ???? :pullhair:

#2 Wademan

Wademan

Advanced Member

• Anti-Spyware Brigade
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 16 December 2008 - 12:32 PM

Hello juicyfatslug,
Lets try and see if you can boot into safe mode, Restart the computer. Immediately after the screen goes blank for the first time, or after the BIOS post ends, start taping the F8 key repeatedly. The Windows Advanced Options menu appears. If the menu does not appear, restart the computer and try again. If the Keyboard has a F-Lock key, it may be necessary to press it first - QUICKLY before pressing the F8 Key. This will have to be done quickly before tapping the F8 key repeatedly.

The Windows Advanced Options Menu should appear. If that works then lets try system restore, > type or paste the following command in the Start -, then Run box ( paste this exactly as it is in the run box )>> %systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe and press enter.Then system restore should come up, next, go back a day or 2 before this problem happened.

Lets hope that works, if not we can try other things, but the steps above is the easiest one to try first.

Wademan

Edited by Wademan, 16 December 2008 - 12:39 PM.

#3 juicyfatslug

juicyfatslug

• Members
  • 189 posts

Posted 16 December 2008 - 12:36 PM

Hello juicyfatslug,
Lets try and see if you can boot into safe mode, Restart the computer. Immediately after the screen goes blank for the first time, or after the BIOS post ends, start taping the F8 key repeatedly. The Windows Advanced Options menu appears. If the menu does not appear, restart the computer and try again. If the Keyboard has a F-Lock key, it may be necessary to press it first - QUICKLY before pressing the F8 Key. This will have to be done quickly before tapping the F8 key repeatedly.

The Windows Advanced Options Menu should appear. If that works then lets try system restore, > type or paste the following command in the Start - Run box then press Enter.>>> %systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe Then system restore should come up, next, go back a day or 2 before this problem happened.

Lets hope that works, if not we can try other things, but the steps above is the easiest one to try first.

Wademan

Hi,
Have tried safe mode but no joy ,just doesn't do anything , screen just keeps flashing !

#4 Wademan

Wademan

Advanced Member

• Anti-Spyware Brigade
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 17 December 2008 - 04:27 AM

Hello again,
I am sorry that simple solution failed to work. I been doing some research on this for you, and it sure sounds like password problems within the BIOS. Does she use a password to boot up? Also, she can contact Toshiba for a "repair disk" or "recovery disk" most manufactures sell them for around $10, some give them for free.

But lets try this next,, IF she has a password> To enable BIOS password enter the BIOS setup and enter the correct characters. The user will be prompted to verify this entry then the password field will change to 'Enabled'. Subsequently all cold or reset boots will require the correct password in order for the boot process to continue.

Steps
1. Power up computer from off condition with ESC key depressed. Unit will display "Check system. Then press (F1) key"
2. Release the ESC key, press the F1 key. This will put the unit into the BIOS setup screen.
3. Using the arrow or tab keys move to the password field, highlight NOT REGISTERED.
4. Press the SPACEBAR, enter the password at the "Password = " prompt, press ENTER
5. The computer will prompt for the password again (verification), enter password, press enter. At this time the password field will change to REGISTERED. Subsequent boots will require the password.
6. Press END to save and "Y" to exit.

To Disable this> Steps
1. Power up computer from off condition with ESC key depressed. The unit will prompt "Password = "
2. Enter the correct password, press ENTER. Unit will display "Valid password entered, system is now starting up. Check system. Then press (F1) key"
3. Press the F1 key. This will put the unit into the BIOS setup screen.
4. Using the arrow or tab keys move to the password field, highlight REGISTERED.
5. Press the SPACEBAR, enter the correct password, press ENTER. At this time the password field will change to NOT REGISTERED

If, somehow there is a supervisor password set on her pc, then she will need the Toshiba Companion Disk. See if she has any recovery disks or the companion disk.

Here is where she needs to contact for the disks from Toshiba if the above steps don't work,> http://www.csd.toshi...r.jsp?subs=tais

I would contact Toshiba if the steps above fail, that way she can get a repair disk or the companion disk. Also the Toshiba service center can fix this for her. Lets us know how you make out, I am sorry there is no easy fix for this. However, the steps above might work, if she can remember the password. Someone must have put one on her pc. I wish you luck. :)

Also there is a slight chance a virus has caused this. What AV software does she use? Most AV software allows you to make a "emergency repair disk" ,did she make one? If so she could insert that disk an reboot, an follow instructions. If not, contact Toshiba as I advised above.

Wademan

Edited by Wademan, 17 December 2008 - 04:33 AM.

#5 juicyfatslug

juicyfatslug

• Members
  • 189 posts

Posted 17 December 2008 - 05:14 AM

Many Thanks will do as you've said and will reply when have an outcome,
All the Best,
Nick C
[quote name='Wademan' date='9:27am Wed Dec 17 2008' post='1552351']
Hello again,
I am sorry that simple solution failed to work. I been doing some research on this for you, and it sure sounds like password problems within the BIOS. Does she use a password to boot up? Also, she can contact Toshiba for a "repair disk" or "recovery disk" most manufactures sell them for around $10, some give them for free.

But lets try this next,, IF she has a password> To enable BIOS password enter the BIOS setup and enter the correct characters. The user will be prompted to verify this entry then the password field will change to 'Enabled'. Subsequently all cold or reset boots will require the correct password in order for the boot process to continue.

Steps
1. Power up computer from off condition with ESC key depressed. Unit will display "Check system. Then press (F1) key"
2. Release the ESC key, press the F1 key. This will put the unit into the BIOS setup screen.
3. Using the arrow or tab keys move to the password field, highlight NOT REGISTERED.
4. Press the SPACEBAR, enter the password at the "Password = " prompt, press ENTER
5. The computer will prompt for the password again (verification), enter password, press enter. At this time the password field will change to REGISTERED. Subsequent boots will require the password.

To Disable this> Steps
1. Power up computer from off condition with ESC key depressed. The unit will prompt "Password = "
2. Enter the correct password, press ENTER. Unit will display "Valid password entered, system is now starting up. Check system. Then press (F1) key"
4. Using the arrow or tab keys move to the password field, highlight REGISTERED.
5. Press the SPACEBAR, enter the correct password, press ENTER. At this time the password field will change to NOT REGISTERED

If, somehow there is a supervisor password set on her pc, then she will need the Toshiba Companion Disk. See if she has any recovery disks or the companion disk.

Here is where she needs to contact for the disks from Toshiba if the above steps don't work,> [url=http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/tais/support/jsp/gaspLocator.jsp?subs=tais]http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/tais/su...r.jsp?subs=tais[/

#6 juicyfatslug

juicyfatslug

• Members
  • 189 posts

Posted 17 December 2008 - 05:14 AM

Many Thanks will do as you've said and will reply when have an outcome,
All the Best,
Nick C
[quote name='Wademan' date='9:27am Wed Dec 17 2008' post='1552351']
Hello again,

Steps

To Disable this> Steps

Here is where she needs to contact for the disks from Toshiba if the above steps don't work,> [url=http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/tais/support/jsp/gaspLocator.jsp?subs=tais]http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/tais/su...r.jsp?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users