Help! Desktop Background keeps changing

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 dbfever

dbfever

• Members
  • 126 posts

Posted 08 December 2008 - 12:21 AM

Help! My desktop background keeps changing. It's been a while now and it's driving me nuts.
Every time I change the desktop picture, in a matter of minutes, it switches back to the desktop background color, which is black.

If it helps, the most recent thing that happened is that I got rid of malware.
Many thanks in advance.

Also, I need some help to changing my windows xp to a geniune one. My uncle who installed windows xp onto my computer when I first got it, didn't burn the disc properly, so it wasn't a geniune.

Edited by dbfever, 08 December 2008 - 12:22 AM.

#2 tlhudson69

tlhudson69

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 08 December 2008 - 07:03 AM

Your desktop will change back to a solid color till you fix your regestration problem. If your case has the key on the side/back check and see if it matches the key that was used when it was installed. If a retail version was used to re-install XP (I am assuming you had a valid version on this pc prior to a re-install) your OEM version (Dell,Gatway,IBM,Sony,,,) key will/did not wwork. on a retail ( green box from Walmart, Bestbuy, Comp USA, ....) disk (burnt copy or not!!) The installer probably just duplicated the retail key. I always back up my disks to protect the orignal from dammage and have not had any problems with reinstalls. You will have to change the key to the correct one or obtain an OEM disk to get back up and running. If there is not a key on your case you will more than likley have to buy another copy of XP/w/key and reinstall all over again. Unless you can find the orignal disk that went with your PC. :shifty: If your key does match somone else has used your key on another PC. :nono: In which case you also wll have to get another XP/w/key!! :bang:

#3 CypherClown

CypherClown

• Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 08 December 2008 - 09:25 AM

what did you use to remove the infections it may not have cleaned them out completely desktop/wallpaper hijackers will do what your describing also

#4 Joe C

Joe C

Advanced Member

• Advanced Member
  • 18,957 posts

Posted 08 December 2008 - 10:31 AM

malware can make changes to your desktop, do the oppisite of what this link suggests
http://www.411-regis...-active-desktop
Always back up the reg before making any changes
"1" is to deactivate and "0" will make active

Edited by Joe C, 08 December 2008 - 10:32 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users